Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Liber Question Time - Ask a Libertarian

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    If you weren't a libertarian, what TSR Party would you join?
    Proably the Conservatives. The Tories and us share plenty of similarities.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    What do the Libertarians think about Homeopathy being avaliable on the NHS?
    It's a difficult question that I have tried to come to a conclusion on personally a few times before. Ultimately I disagree with the NHS on the basis that a market would better serve the interests of individuals (hardly a shocking thing to hear from a liber).

For me, it comes down to two main points. The first is that a patient of the NHS is a tax payer (usually), and as such is a customer who should be entitled to the treatment they decide is best for them (they 'pay' for it after all).

However, as an empiricist who is also a tax payer I resent my contribution into the health service being used to fund what are essentially expensive placebos instead of medicine with a measurable physiological interaction.

If someone else pays for it they are more than welcome to treat themselves with magic water, but I'd much rather my money be spent on scientifically tested drugs.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    It's a difficult question that I have tried to come to a conclusion on personally a few times before. Ultimately I disagree with the NHS on the basis that a market would better serve the interests of individuals (hardly a shocking thing to hear from a liber).
    So I take it that you advocate in people paying for healthcare?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    So I take it that you advocate in people paying for healthcare?
    I advocate a market approach to the distribution of health care, whether this is paid for or subsidised centrally is a different issue.

People pay for their healthcare currently, if you hadn't noticed we're a country with a rather heavy tax burden and a penchant for borrowing money against the productiveness of future generations.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I advocate a market approach to the distribution of health care, whether this is paid for or subsidised centrally is a different issue.

People pay for their healthcare currently, if you hadn't noticed we're a country with a rather heavy tax burden and a penchant for borrowing money against the productiveness of future generations.
    You know I don't mean that we all pay taxes to fund a universal free healthcare. I meant that those who need healthcare pay for it, and those who don't don't. I'll ask again. Do you believe in a universally funded healthcare which is free for everyone to use or would you favour a market approach where those who need it pay for it?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know I don't mean that we all pay taxes to fund a universal free healthcare. I meant that those who need healthcare pay for it, and those who don't don't. I'll ask again. Do you believe in a universally funded healthcare which is free for everyone to use or would you favour a market approach where those who need it pay for it?
    You can have a centrally funded market place. Monopolisation of healthcare isn't a necessity just because it is funded by government.

I'd rather a subsidised system of personal insurance than the one size fits all cash cow that is the NHS (also note that I find the American health care system as ridiculous as the NHS before you predictably pounce on that straw man).
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can have a centrally funded market place. Monopolisation of healthcare isn't a necessity just because it is funded by government.

I'd rather a subsidised system of personal insurance than the one size fits all cash cow that is the NHS (also note that I find the American health care system as ridiculous as the NHS before you predictably pounce on that straw man).
    What sort of form would this personal insurance take? How would it work?

I'd also appreciate it if you didn't try to pre-empt my arguments.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    What sort of form would this personal insurance take? How would it work?

I'd also appreciate it if you didn't try to pre-empt my arguments.
    I apologise but I thought it would be in the best interest of the discussion to remove any possibility of the american health model being included.

I am torn between two healthcare models, that of obligatory personal insurance in a market structure which is similar to the Swiss market model. And another that which is similar to Sweden's government market orientated health system.

I read a few good articles sometime last year that I'll try to dig up.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singapore's is worth investigating too.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Despite being the third biggest party in the house, no one asks us questions. Why?

We're too good.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    Despite being the third biggest party in the house, no one asks us questions. Why?

We're too good.
    No questions needed. It's just common sense!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not even in Government - get most bills passed

No question even needs to be considered
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let's ask each other questions:

Should I read the Hunger Games? I know it's for kids, but I've heard it's a fun enough story and that if you have a reading age above about 12 you can blitz the whole lot in about a week. I have no commute time anymore (I live next door to work) so this'd be time out of my ever-important cavier-and-masturbating timeslot.

TSR Libertarians: Is it worth it?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

Should I read the Hunger Games? I know it's for kids, but I've heard it's a fun enough story and that if you have a reading age above about 12 you can blitz the whole lot in about a week. I have no commute time anymore (I live next door to work) so this'd be time out of my ever-important cavier-and-masturbating timeslot.

"ever-important cavier-and-masturbating timeslot." Brilliant :rofl:

I really don't know about that. I've heard it is quite a good story, but whether it will have the same affect on a student as it does a teen - I'm not sure.

I would certainly like to go and see it at the cinema. Errrmm, probably not the cinema, think of all the pre-teen-twilight-loving creeps, maybe just pick it up from Blockbusters in a couple of months
    :P

It's up to you
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    "ever-important cavier-and-masturbating timeslot." Brilliant :rofl:

I really don't know about that. I've heard it is quite a good story, but whether it will have the same affect on a student as it does a teen - I'm not sure.

I would certainly like to go and see it at the cinema. Errrmm, probably not the cinema, think of all the pre-teen-twilight-loving creeps, maybe just pick it up from Blockbusters in a couple of months
    :P

It's up to you
    Hmm, that doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm neither a teen nor a student. I do like forcing young girls to fight for their survival, though... Hmmm... I shall give it some more thought.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm neither a teen nor a student. I do like forcing young girls to fight for their survival, though... Hmmm... I shall give it some more thought.
    It has to be better than Twilight.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

Do you have a Kindle, or a phone with a Kindle app?

If so, you can usually download the first chapter for free.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    Do you have a Kindle, or a phone with a Kindle app?

If so, you can usually download the first chapter for free.
    I actually already own them on Kobo - you could buy all 3 for £1.50 the other day, and I can read them on my enormous phone. But I have a big reading list, and my cavier-and-masturbating time is important to me... It's all about priorities.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blasted through the lot in 2 days last week whilst recovering from having 3 wisdom teeth out.

They're alright, lots of teen angsty **** mixed in with some decent bits, really go down hill after the first book though.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

I honestly don't know what happened there

I'm a socially moderate economically conservative

I always thought I was a neo-liberal :nooo:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 11, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.