The Student Room Group

Chemistry grade

I have a problem because i can definitely get an A grade in AS chemistry this year but my teachers don't think that i can get an A for A2. I think that ill probably get a b for a2 chemistry overall but i really want to apply to bristol (which requires chem at A). Has anyone got into bristol with a B recently and which other unis definitely require an A grade in chem (on the websites most just say AAB).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I personaly dont think A2 is any harder than AS, indeed I would go as far to say that in OCR salters I am actually finding the content easier to take in (maybe im thinking more like a chemist than i was last year). If you get a good A at AS it would be difficult for your teachers not to predict you an A at A level, infact you would only need to achieve the equivalent of a mid B to end up with an A overall.

Talk to your teachers, say that you will do anything to get an A, ask for extra work, do past exam papers, explain to them that your heart is set on Bristol and you need an A.
My offer from Bristol specificaly states that I would need an A grade in chemistry, andif your so confident as to say 'your definatly going to get an A at AS' You shouldnt have any problems.
The best of Luck to you.
Reply 2
All Medicine institues ask for A at Chemistry A-Level. Your problem should be your school. By right, your school should give you an A as the predicted grade if you get an A at As-Level.
Reply 3
no they don't all ask for an A in chem at A2. two of my offers, leeds and birmingham only want a B.
Reply 4
let me just add to the list, Nottingham requires AA for Chem AND Bio, with a third science subject at B.
Leicester also ask specifically for an A in Chemistry. However, I got a B in AS Chemistry (and not a high one either!) and got it up to an A at A2 without any resits. So if you got an A at AS I see no reason why you can't get one at A2!

If Bristol asks for an A and you apply with a predicted B, I'd imagine that will rule you out? If I were you I'd explain the situation to my teacher so I was predicted the grades I needed, and then carry on working hard. Good luck :smile:

sd91
I have a problem because i can definitely get an A grade in AS chemistry this year but my teachers don't think that i can get an A for A2. I think that ill probably get a b for a2 chemistry overall but i really want to apply to bristol (which requires chem at A). Has anyone got into bristol with a B recently and which other unis definitely require an A grade in chem (on the websites most just say AAB).
Reply 6
sohanshah
All Medicine institues ask for A at Chemistry A-Level.What what now? :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Neither of my offers specify an A in chemistry.
Reply 8
hollye
Neither of my offers specify an A in chemistry.

I said expect I think... *he checks*.

He has checked and was wrong :frown: - but they do expect a predicted A.

Your final result doesn't have to be an A though.
Reply 9
sohanshah
but they do expect a predicted A.
Is that in the prospectus?
To add two more, Peninsula made me an offer of ABB with the A in any science, and Manchester made an offer off AAB, in any order (I do chemistry, physics and maths)
Reply 11
sd91

So I take you are still in lower sixth then, since you are still working on your AS chemstry. If you get an A this year, then your teacher has no reason to not predict you an A for A2!!!
~Adel~
let me just add to the list, Nottingham requires AA for Chem AND Bio, with a third science subject at B.

No it doesnt:

A level chemistry and biology, grade A; third A level in any subject except general studies and critical thinking

OP, you really need to aim for an A for A2 Chemistry so your choices aren't too narrow...

Plus, you won't get into Bristol without an A for Chemistry - it is a requirement, and most other applicants will have this predicted, or already have it if they're on a Gap year.

:smile:
sohanshah
All Medicine institues ask for A at Chemistry A-Level.

FFS when you know sod all about anything please don't comment :rolleyes:
Reply 14
To speedbird, that's the condition given by Nottingham to me. I've got an offer from them.
Democracy
FFS when you know sod all about anything please don't comment :rolleyes:

OK Mr cleverclogs, did you goto the GMX conference and ask 161 universities what grades they wanted??? - No!!!

Well out of the total 161 medical and no medical unis, only 7 Medical unis told me that they would not require an A and they were the crap unis. nd still: they told me an A would be preffered. Get your facts right!!!!
Reply 16
sohanshah
OK Mr cleverclogs, did you goto the GMX conference and ask 161 universities what grades they wanted??? - No!!!

Well out of the total 161 medical and no medical unis, only 7 Medical unis told me that they would not require an A and they were the crap unis. nd still: they told me an A would be preffered. Get your facts right!!!!

Which ones are the crap ones exactly?
sohanshah

so what you're saying is that GKT, RUMS, SGUL, BL, and many others are all crap since they don't specify an A in chemistry?

All Medicine institues ask for A at Chemistry A-Level. Your problem should be your school. By right, your school should give you an A as the predicted grade if you get an A at As-Level.

Besides, your original comment (bolded especially for you :wink:) was wrong and I just pointed that out. Feel free to untwist your knickers now.
Ok fair enough so I did exaggerate my point SLIGHTLY. Don't kill me for it. Oh, and the crap ones are the ones I'm not applying to. :wink:
sohanshah
Oh, and the crap ones are the ones I'm not applying to. :wink:
:rolleyes:

Latest