The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
but liverpool accents are so hot...
Reply 21
Abbey's hotter. Oops..
Liverpool every time. Who wants to be surrounded by Scots? Also... I don't think Glasgow's the only place in the UK with stab victims.. we get them too and gun crime's on the rise here as well and drug abuse galore....

Come to the Pool, you might just like it. Oh and you'll catch the end of Capital of Culture. ( that still makes me laugh)
Reply 23
sophtheloaf
Liverpool every time. Who wants to be surrounded by Scots? Also... I don't think Glasgow's the only place in the UK with stab victims.. we get them too and gun crime's on the rise here as well and drug abuse galore....

Come to the Pool, you might just like it. Oh and you'll catch the end of Capital of Culture. ( that still makes me laugh)

Erm. You're a twit. Complete twit. Why would the OP be ATTRACTED by stab victims, gun crime and drug abuse?

Every major city has it's problems. So things like crime(which isn't far worse in Glasgow than anywhere else) should be discounted as a factor.

As for wanting to be surrounded by Scots, you really ARE a twit, you know that? Why would you make such a generalisation and then be so arrogant to assume that others on the forum would agree with you broadly moronic statements?

Needless to say I'll be repping you very soon. Negatively.
Reply 24
I find that very insulting too. Most people say Scottish are really friendly, much friendlier than those to the South.
My friends, my sincere apologies. I never meant to offend anyone, it was an attempt at jest though I fear one that fell short of the mark. However, it may sound callous to say, but urban deprivation has and always will make a good place to learn Medicine. Look at what all the BL lot say about working in the East End.

I'm sure Glasgow is a fantastic city and that Scots are friendly too, as are the Scouse brethren.
Reply 26
sophtheloaf
My friends, my sincere apologies. I never meant to offend anyone, it was an attempt at jest though I fear one that fell short of the mark. However, it may sound callous to say, but urban deprivation has and always will make a good place to learn Medicine. Look at what all the BL lot say about working in the East End.

I'm sure Glasgow is a fantastic city and that Scots are friendly too, as are the Scouse brethren.

Indeed. But liverpool is no more deprived than Glasgow. It's not a factor to be considered. We're known as the European Murder Capital, so if anything we're 'ahead' in that area. But then again, I think that title is a bit exagerated, as there isn't a city out there worth it's salt that doesn't have a bit of a health problem.
I'm a first year at Glasgow and I love it. :biggrin: If there's anything specific you'd like to know, I'll be glad to help.

I also had offers from Liverpool and Manchester but I didn't like the city of Liverpool - it just didn't feel like somewhere I could spend 5+ years. (I had Manchester as my insurance.)

Glasgow is very PBL based. We have two hour sessions twice a week, as well as some supporting lectures/seminars and labs. There's also vocational studies once a week, where you learn communication skills, ethics and legal matters. The med school hires actors to be your patients and you get to practice communication scenarios with them - it's really good. :smile:

Glasgow does "dissection in context" which means that when you learn about the chest wall, you'll dissect that, etc. You learn a lot more from that rather than just starting at the top of a cadaver and working your way down! It means you don't get a huge amount of dissection time (3 sessions plus some prosection sessions) in first year but you really get a lot of of it. It's also a great privilege to be able to actually do dissection and I felt really grateful to the people that donated their bodies.

If nothing else, Glasgow has a prettier building. :p:
Reply 28
What made you choose Glasgow over Manchester?
Gut instinct, mainly! I really fell in love with the city when I was in Glasgow. Manchester was nice but it didn't have the same "I want to live here" factor.

(The prettier building helped too :redface: *shallow*)
Reply 30
Hehe yeah it is a fantastic building, apart from the weird slanty steps?!

I'm finding it really hard to choose between the two, doesn't help that I've only spent about 2 days in Glasgow compared to living next to Manchester my whole life.
What do you like about the city in Glasgow?
Ah yes, those steps aren't great at 9am when you're still half asleep!

I like the West End of Glasgow (where the university is) a lot, it's got great cafes and bars (Ashton Lane, yayy) and it's got great transport links (buses galore, subway stations.) I like the city centre too, great shopping! Royal Exchange Square is really pretty lit up at night. :smile:

Maybe more of an issue for you is whether you want the experience of living somewhere different, or whether you want the security of living closer to home? I'm from NI and went to Glasgow knowing no one and I definitely made the right decision. :smile:
Reply 32
Yeah exactly, I really fancy going to somewhere completely new and everything I've seen of Glasgow seems great. Then again Manchester's a great city and I could easily see myself living there.

Hmm..
Reply 33
Come to Glasgow with me :smile:!

I think I probably will chose Glasgow to be honest. Ahhh so hard though!

Would you say Liverpool or Glasgow is more PBL based? Although, I don't really know how anyone can answer that...
Glasgow, Glasgow, Glasgow. I wish I applied there.
I think Glasgow and Liverpool have similar amounts of PBL, I'm not sure though.

If anyone wants to see a sample first year timetable, PM me your email. :smile:
Reply 36
Hey. at liv we have prosections (they're already cut up for you, so you go and look!) in first you it is very intensively pbl. it's great though that they get you having your first patient contact in 1st year (although not a lot) and then 2nd year you are in hospital twice a week which i love. any specifics ask away (i'm 2nd year)

Latest

Trending

Trending