The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Of course it is, you can't expect mentally sub-normal people to get everything right all the time. Cut her a bit of slack, she's still learning.
mark renton
actually i suppose why would you have sociology in school lol

Because it's a subject taught at school?
Fluent in Lies
Because it's a subject taught at school?

really? I didnt know that.

I mean at school as in compulsory school, not sixth form or anything..?
Reply 23
if she expressed it as an opinion and not as a basis to teach or push her views upon you then shes entitled to it.
Reply 24
I took GCSE Sociology, A level and one of my dual honors at uni is Sociology, that aside though, I don't think your teacher should have said that. I know a lot of opinion and debating goes on in Sociology but that's taking it too far in my opinion.
mark renton
really? I didnt know that.

I mean at school as in compulsory school, not sixth form or anything..?

Now you do.
Reply 26
What educational value did it have?
dh00001
if she expressed it as an opinion and not as a basis to teach or push her views upon you then shes entitled to it.

That whole argument rests on the assumption that a person has 'natural rights' apart from and seperate to; those given to you by organised society :wink:

It's not as straightforward as it seems i.e. 'nonsense on stilts'

Sorry, the philosophy student in me just escaped again.....get back in the cellar!
she has a right to think it, but as her role as tutor, she should NOT have said it, im sure that its agains one of the many university policy,

If it offended you or made you feel uncomfortable, then possibly seek help for the su or faculty leader (at the risk of making the situation worse)
If it hasnt botherd you, then just ignore it,
Reply 29
Tt is sociology after all, and ethical issues will come up constantly. We had a discussion where the teacher said that religion is a load of nonsense, with a very very religious girl in the group.

The thing is, the teacher would expect you to be mature enough to realise it is just a debate and might not reflect her personal opinion. Be glad that she did try to discuss it, as it gives people more knowledge about the situation for them to make informed and logical decisions about their views on the matter.

Best thing is to hold to your own viewpoint. Everyone sees the world differently
Reply 30
The teacher is not supposed to air their views like this. It is wrong and can influence the minds of younger students which is terrible. It is part of the official teacher contract that they are in need to keep their opinions to themselves. Watch Waterloo Road regarding the army i think, they mention it on there.

Latest

Trending

Trending