The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Thanks.
Iam going to upgrade my computer. I currently have an Abit AN M2 mother board with 2 OCZ PC2-6400 of 512 mb.
I want to put in more ram, about 2GB. I also want to buy a VGA card.
Can you guy suggest me a VGA card about 60 pounds, which can enable me to play games, such as Crysis, FEAR. I don't need to play that in a good quality, just smoothly
Reply 3
A £60 card will struggle to play Crysis! That money buys an 8600GT which is not a bad card but it can't handle games like that.
Reply 4
Yeah, you need to be looking at 8800GT's, or the 9 series; even then Crysis will hammer it.
Reply 5
You picked a tough game to crack, my friend. Like PieMaster and AT82 said, you're looking at the higher end cards for those games, even on minimum settings. You might be best just buying the RAM for now and then saving up for a better Graphics card, rather than buying a £60 one, still not being able to play the games you want, and then having to save up and buy another one anyway.
Reply 6
So can you suggest for me a RAM.
I would like to buy 2gb RAM. Is it possible?
And between ATI and Nvidia, which one is better
Reply 7
Plezzz
Reply 9
I think I have a smiliar problem. I have the sims2 and I have an sis graphics card, something to do with the mother board... but my game is very jumpy... new graphics card or more ram?
Reply 10
New graphics card definitely, sounds like you have an old computer though if its using onboard SIS graphics. Regarding RAM, it depends on how much you have currently.
Reply 12
its an ergo ensis and its about 3 years old the sims2 just kills it! probebly need a new computer
What are the specs of your Ergo Ensis? Click on 'Run' and then type in dxdiag and press Enter, and tell us what processor, RAM, etc comes up. Also, click on the Display tab (I think that's what it's labelled) and tell us the specs of the graphics chip/card.
Reply 14
Angel Interceptor
What are the specs of your Ergo Ensis? Click on 'Run' and then type in dxdiag and press Enter, and tell us what processor, RAM, etc comes up. Also, click on the Display tab (I think that's what it's labelled) and tell us the specs of the graphics chip/card.

oooh that sounds intresting! I will do that when I get home because I am in work now, but on works one is this dxdiag thing?
dxdiag just tells us the specs of your computer, ie. processor, RAM, etc and will let us know what the most important thing to upgrade would be, ie. what will make the most difference to your computer's ability to run The Sims 2.
Gaylei
I think I have a smiliar problem. I have the sims2 and I have an sis graphics card, something to do with the mother board... but my game is very jumpy... new graphics card or more ram?

I used to have an integrated sis card too, and tried playing the Sims 2 a few years back.

Trust me, you'll need a new graphics card to get it to work even decently. I have 512 RAM (Pathetically enough) and providing you get a good enough card, it'll run. Granted, I had to OC mine before it was seamless.
Reply 17
ok

its an ergo ensis
award medalion BIOS v 6.0
mobile intel(r) pentium (r) 4-M CPU 2.20GHz
496 MB RAM
419 USED 738MB AVAILABLE
DIRECT X 9.0c
Reply 18
youresocutewhenyouscream
I used to have an integrated sis card too, and tried playing the Sims 2 a few years back.

Trust me, you'll need a new graphics card to get it to work even decently. I have 512 RAM (Pathetically enough) and providing you get a good enough card, it'll run. Granted, I had to OC mine before it was seamless.

not as pathetic as my tiny 496
Reply 19
Depending on wether or not you want to play newer games in the future, you might want to think about buying a new PC. If you build it yourself or have a friend do it for you, you could get a relatively future-proof PC for about £500.

But if it's just for the SIMS, there's not much point.

Latest

Trending

Trending