The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Renal
No.

She got one degree. Decided it wasn't enough, went back for a doctorate. Then worked as a graduate and then decided to spend 5 years becoming a doctor again. Seriously.

What a way to waste your life, eh? Pursuing a career as a doctor is admirable but it takes you 30 years of education without a period of gainful employment to get there it makes you wonder if there's any point at all...
Reply 61
FoeGeddaBowDeet
What a way to waste your life, eh? Pursuing a career as a doctor is admirable but it takes you 30 years of education without a period of gainful employment to get there it makes you wonder if there's any point at all...

Or maybe some people just come to medicine later, and I have a shorter training course to make it to consultant in my chosen field as I already have my doctorate, so will regain some of the time :wink:
Fluffy
Or maybe some people just come to medicine later, and I have a shorter training course to make it to consultant in my chosen field as I already have my doctorate, so will regain some of the time :wink:

what was your doctorate in? :eek:
also, how to manage to afford all these years at uni?!?
Reply 63
FoeGeddaBowDeet
what was your doctorate in? :eek:
also, how to manage to afford all these years at uni?!?

It works out almost the same - the quickest route I've heard of is the UCL fasttrack - ie MBBS, BSc, PhD in 8 years. Fluffs has her first degree and the DPhil - and made some money in between....it ends up being whatever floats your boat really.
When do doctors get paid?

When they enter private practice.
bosongyin
So its not entirly correct to assume FY1 doctors will only earn 21K after 2009?
In some places they are already only in 21k, with no overtime. Difference being this year no free accommodation

bosongyin
Oh well! At least we dont have to work as hard and have a life outside hospitals!
How do you work that one out? You'll still have to be there outside office hours finishing stuff of, preparing etc you just don't get paid for it and your nights finish by 12
Reply 66
I've been thinking about the Hospital vs Individual Doctor idea, surely you could never use it as a defence? Quite apart from the fact that it would kill me at least to think I'd harmed a patient by clockwatching, would the GMC really go for the manager-told-me-to-go-home thing when there's a dead person, an angry family and a media bunfight for someone's head? Plus there's the attitude of consultants who worked 120 hours a week and slept in the sharps bin, who won't ever come around to this 9-5 house officer notion.

These things have all been gone over in a hundred blogs anyway, question is who's going to be the sucker that ends up in the media's favorite case and are they going to turn against the doctor or the hospital?

Latest

Trending

Trending