The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
My brother was in Chancellors a couple of years ago, food was edible but he did look forward to coming home to some home cooking. The only reason he wanted to come home I think lol. :biggrin: I'm sure they had a kitchen to share as well though.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Pantry facilities contain a kettle, microwave and toaster.
Reply 3
michaelnicholson88
Pantry facilities contain a kettle, microwave and toaster.

So I cannot boil anything :eek:. And what is your opinion on the food there?
Edible. It's nothing spectacular, but it's not as atrocious as people make out. There's always a decent selection and it's pretty good for mass-catered stuff. If it sets your mind at ease, I signed up for a second year of it (I work in Chancellor's Court in a residential capacity) and am going for another year next year- it's not so bad as to put me off, having tasted it, so it shouldn't put the uninitiated off either.
Reply 5
If you compare what's on offer at other universities it pales in comparison.
The food here would not win any awards...
After 1 month we got pretty tired of the same menus/food selection.
We tended to order in and/or eat out alot or cook in other residences that did have kitchens - which we got told off for on several occasions.
The times at which food is available is more restricted than at other universities. If you're way down in the Kings Bldgs and have to work late in labs or whatever sometimes you won't get back in time to eat.
I guess the Edinburgh students are pretty complacent and don't bother to register any complaints so nothing gets changed/improved.
Most students can't wait to move out of residence so they can cook their own food which is much better quality and alot cheaper.
Chancellor's Ct has huge kitchens on each floor, but zero cooking facilities which was very puzzling... Even if you've paid for the meal plan from time to time - especially on weekends if friends/family are visiting it would be nice to be able to cook them a meal.
Not much you can do with a kettle and a toaster!

Latest

Trending

Trending