The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't know about the costs or anything, but just wanted to point out the obvious difficulties with language you may encounter, although the course may be taught in English most of your clinical work will have to be in another language. Just something to bear in mind when considering your options really, not being fluent could cause you to fail the course
Reply 2
st. george's in grenada. GMC used to allow limited registration but since they don't do limited registration now I don't know about career prospect in uk after graduation.
Reply 3
aapl
st. george's in grenada. GMC used to allow limited registration but since they don't do limited registration now I don't know about career prospect in uk after graduation.

I know St George's offer UK rotations, but I don't know if these can lead to GMC registration or not, although I seem to remember being told they do, but I may be making that up :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I vaguely remember when I went on the Medlink course 2 years ago, they said you have to take a exam after grudate from St Georges to practice in the UK.
Reply 5
aerix
Currently i'm aware of Prague, Olomouc and Poland however are there other unis to study medicine abroad and what sort of money are you expected to pay?

Hey,

I study at Charles University in Prague, not medicine though. But still, I think I can help you since my roomate is a medic and I considered studying medicine or dentistry but then decided for something different. Charles university has 4 faculties for medicine:
1st, 2nd, 3rd faculty of medicine in Prague; Faculty of medicine in Pilsen, Faculty of medicine in Hradec Kralove.

a) Prague: You do not study with Czech students mostly (my roomate has never studied any subject in English afaik). The fact that you do not speak Czech should not prevent you from getting a degree as someone said before. 1st faculty is the most challenging (for Czech students!) - they accept a lot of people and only a half of them get throug to the second year, myabe less I dont know.
2nd faculty they accept a certain (e.g. small 150??) amount of people and they do not need to kick out anyone. It would say it is the best (good quality and family environement), but it is very subjective!
3rd faculty has a special curriculum or whatever I dont know. That means that each semester you take only one exam, I would say a superexam - all courses are included in one exam - it is said to be more practical.

b) Pilsen - good beer! this is the first thing you should know about it.:smile:
It is said to be less challenging than Prague faculties... Some students who drop off Prague go to Pilsen. That does not mean you will be a worse doctor, because it is about yourself too.

c) Hradec Kralove - I am a patient at local clinic of dentistry. And I can say nothing bad about it. The last time I saw my doctor there were five foreign students and only one Czech. My doctor is from India and he is a super teacher, he is really patient with answering questions, very kind to me and students. And he is not an exception, there are professors (at least I know one) who go to the USA to give lectures and so on and is considered a capacity in his field. The clinic itself is all new.
The Faculty is of a good quality, good reputation and Hradec is a nice place to study.

d) Olomouc - again, it is a beautiful place to study, not that big as Prague, dont know much about medical faculty, but it is not Charles university, it is Palacky University

e) there is one in Brno too, Masaryk University, but again, I do not know about it

As you may know, you dont pay tuiton in the Czech Republic as long as you study in the Czech language. For only English speaking students there are, as I have already mentioned, different programs(?) for which you have to pay big money - you should be able to find how much at website of each faculty.

I have also heard that they do not kick out paying students so often because it is significant money for the faculty. But it is a usual hearsay, often complaints of Czech students.

I hope that my post will help you...
Cheers
Reply 6
bosongyin
I vaguely remember when I went on the Medlink course 2 years ago, they said you have to take a exam after grudate from St Georges to practice in the UK.
PLAB (pleb more like) it's not that easy nor is it cheap.
NZ, Australia and Canada don't accept UK medical students.

Ireland does though.

:smile:
Reply 8
Speedbird2008
NZ, Australia and Canada don't accept UK medical students.
Really? Why not?
Renal
Really? Why not?

Hmm..

I read on Vancouver University that you can't.

And just checked Sydney and Auckland Universities, turns out you can.

I just heard you couldn't. :redface:
You can with Canada, but its harder than to get into America- for residencys.
Hey I thought if you studied anywhere in the EU you should be able to find a job anywhere if you're an EU citizen. Or is it different for medicine? Not sure that'd be any help unless you speak another language or find an English-medium medical course within the EU.
Reply 12
marshmallow_mayhem
Hey I thought if you studied anywhere in the EU you should be able to find a job anywhere if you're an EU citizen. Or is it different for medicine?
In theory. However, because the communication demands of medicine are so high, the language skills need to be perfect.
marshmallow_mayhem
Hey I thought if you studied anywhere in the EU you should be able to find a job anywhere if you're an EU citizen. Or is it different for medicine? Not sure that'd be any help unless you speak another language or find an English-medium medical course within the EU.

Even if the course is taught in English, the clinical experience will still be with people native to that country, so you would have had to perfect the language during the early stages of the course, such that it would be possible for you to proceed with the clinical stages
It's just not worth the hassle to go abroad. i think it would be better to just try again if you fail the first time in the UK. As some people have said, its costly, hard, and you are not fully registered with gmc, therefore you cant practise medicine. you would have to take a pleb exam to become registered. medical degrees abroad, in reality, are not treated equal to UK medical degrees - its just not respected as much as a uk one.
Reply 15
reddragon1234
its just not respected as much as a uk one.

Thats if you want to work in the UK.
Reply 16
bosongyin
Thats if you want to work in the UK.
Do you suppose that the French view a Czech degree as highly as a French one? Germans? Dutch? Didn't think so.
Reply 17
Thats precisely my point, isn't?
Reply 18
bosongyin
Thats precisely my point, isn't?
Maybe. My point is that a czech degree will allow you to be a second or third class doctor in the Czech Republic or the UK or a third class doctor in any other European country.

('Class' in terms of discrimination, similar to caste)
Reply 19
Renal
Maybe. My point is that a czech degree will allow you to be a second or third class doctor in the Czech Republic or the UK or a third class doctor in any other European country.

('Class' in terms of discrimination, similar to caste)

Yeah, I suppose so. In a way, it is diffcult to judge the teaching qualities of different EU medical schools as they are regulated by different professional bodies! Who gets to say, what is better anyway! But obviously, I'd imagine countries would rate their own degrees highly than others (at least some countires).

Latest

Trending

Trending