Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

posting passport to student finance?! help!!!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've registered for student finance loans from the government, and it says I have to provide evidence to confirm my identity. However it says I have to post them EITHER my original passport OR original birth certificate, but I feel really uneasy about doing this for several reasons:

firstly because it doesn't say how long they will take to post it back

secondly because I don't trust the royal mail with my passport/birth certificate

and thirdly because these are really important documents I don't want to hand to just anyone, and I happen to be needing my passport for holidays soon!

So what I wanted to ask is, has anyone else posted them these things? How long did it take to get back?
    Sorry if this is an overreaction, but I'm paranoid, I understand they have to confirm my identity, but it still scares me to post my passport/birth certificate.......

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    It takes less than a week, and you are being needlessly paranoid.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack, but I couldn't find anything on the website to say.
    Do I need to include a cover letter saying anything, or just post the passport to the address given??
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    send the birth certificate b ySPECIAL DELIVERY if you need your passport

i wouldnt send the passport to student finance if you need it back within 3 weeks

they are a big organisatio nand it could take ages to get it back if there is a backlog etc
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    It goes to your own county LEA, not the central organisation. My son's came back today; it was sent on Monday. We just included a printout of the online application that contained his reference number.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    still, i wouldnt trust them to *definitley* send it back in a week - it is the council after all!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavalse)
    Hi, I've registered for student finance loans from the government, and it says I have to provide evidence to confirm my identity. However it says I have to post them EITHER my original passport OR original birth certificate, but I feel really uneasy about doing this for several reasons:

firstly because it doesn't say how long they will take to post it back

secondly because I don't trust the royal mail with my passport/birth certificate

and thirdly because these are really important documents I don't want to hand to just anyone, and I happen to be needing my passport for holidays soon!

So what I wanted to ask is, has anyone else posted them these things? How long did it take to get back?
    Sorry if this is an overreaction, but I'm paranoid, I understand they have to confirm my identity, but it still scares me to post my passport/birth certificate.......

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help
    pay for speical recorded delivery?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    still, i wouldnt trust them to *definitley* send it back in a week - it is the council after all!
    Neither would I, but if you send it in now there is no real chance of not having it back in time for the summer. Better to do it now than wait.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How far is your LEA office? Maybe it's easier for you to pop down. They'll inspect it, copy it and hand it back to you. I did that.

I wouldnt let my passport out of my sight, especially after my mate lost his only for the Police to question him several times as they suspected he sold it (quite common apparently).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Neither would I, but if you send it in now there is no real chance of not having it back in time for the summer. Better to do it now than wait.
    but the OP didn;t say they are going on holiday in the summer - their holiday could be 2 or 3 weeks away...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    True. Perhaps he'll come back and clarify that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had similar problems at the start of the year. I just got photocopies, and got them certified at college (they stick the official stamp on to say its the original) and posted that off - was fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    True. Perhaps he'll come back and clarify that.
    hmmm nice of you to assume I'm male, I'm actually a girl!

Lol, anyway, thanks guys, I just found the concept of sending my passport scary, but I guess it'll be ok. I'm not going on holiday for another 8 weeks actually, ages I know (I said I was paranoid right?!), and I don't think the council are that bad for the process to take that long!!! So all should be ok
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavalse)
    hmmm nice of you to assume I'm male, I'm actually a girl!

Lol, anyway, thanks guys, I just found the concept of sending my passport scary, but I guess it'll be ok. I'm not going on holiday for another 8 weeks actually, ages I know (I said I was paranoid right?!), and I don't think the council are that bad for the process to take that long!!! So all should be ok
    just seen your location, mexico! not sure now!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 1, 2008
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.