The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mine is 7.6 but I'm really not sure what i'll get for a-levels. I'm hoping for straight A grades but don't we all?
Reply 2
Mine's 6.6 (so apparently I'm aiming for Bs), my average was brought down by my ICT GNVQ cos I didn't put the work in to get a Merit, but without the ICT, its 7.something, so I'm aiming to get As hopefully......but I don't think the targets are really that valid, cos someone could have done bad coursework or had a bad day in whcih they messed up a paper or something....so...I don't see how they can predict it using test results.
Reply 3
Yep, that's what they did when I started AS (in A2 now). It's pretty accurate really. If you did well at GCSE, then chances are you will at AS. If you did bad, then chances are you will at AS. I can't remember what I had. I got 5A* 4A whatever that would turn out to be.
Reply 4
They predicted me As and Bs and I got all As... I would say the system usually holds true, but there are huge and uncertain variables that cannot always be accounted for...
Reply 5
distortedgav
Apparently if you're averaging 7.0 or above at GCSE, then you're expected to get an A at A-level?

how do you get 4As prediction then?
Reply 6
I think he means that there must be some kind of distinction between the difficulty of achieving certain grades. For instance, it is often only the A* GCSE candidates who go on to secures As, rather than those who got As at GCSE, though this obviously isnt always the case.

TBH Gav, I think its the only way they can do it... without a nationwide census...
ALIS works by taking your GCSE scores and turning them into a predicted AS level scores out of 120, where:

120=A
100=B
80=C
etc

If you're above half marks eg 110+ you'd round up to an A (or technically A/B), if below half marks e.g 109 you'd round down to a B (or technically B/A)

I found out mine today - i'm going to be getting 2 As, 2 Bs and a C (in general studies) apparantly :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Mrs Rickman
ALIS works by taking your GCSE scores and turning them into a predicted AS level scores out of 120, where:

120=A
100=B
80=C
etc

If you're above half marks eg 110+ you'd round up to an A (or technically A/B), if below half marks e.g 109 you'd round down to a B (or technically B/A)

I found out mine today - i'm going to be getting 2 As, 2 Bs and a C (in general studies) apparantly :rolleyes:

and what gcses did you get?
It's the most pointless system in the world - my Bs at GCSE were all in sciences, yet they lowered my predicted grades down to Bs, even though I did French, Art, History and Music. Makes no sense at all.
distortedgav
Anyone heard anything about using an ALIS score - (average GCSE points) as a predictor of A-level results. Is it me or does the whole system seem totally contrived and just generally bullsh*t? Apparently if you're averaging 7.0 or above at GCSE, then you're expected to get an A at A-level? I think thiis really is a joke? Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

It's pretty rubbish, look:

GCSEs: 4 A*, 2 A, 5 B (average 6.9 i think = v high B)
ALIS predictions for AS: A/B, B, B, B/C, B/C
Teacher predictions for AS: AABBB
Actual AS results: AAAAB

So my ALIS predictions were way out! Thank God!

*wonders what her ALIS A2 predictions are*
TheWolf
and what gcses did you get?

8 A's and 2 A*'s

I agree, it is a stupid system. I've got friends who got A* in science and yet are predicted C's in it this year :rolleyes:
It depends how hard your work. I don't think you can get good grades at A level if you don't put in the effort no matter how well you did at GCSE.
Reply 13
Its stupid because if say someone got an A* in Maths but only Bs and Cs in their other subjects then they will be predicted a bad grade for AS Maths even though someone with an A/B in maths and A/Bs across the rest of their subjects will be predicted a better grade for Maths.

Saying that, mine were depressingly accurate :frown:
Reply 14
I feel I did rubbish in my ALIS test, and for many of the questions I just made an Estimated Guess. So I bet I'll be predicted D's and a few C's! :rolleyes:
Reply 15
I was predicted B/C, B/C, B/C, B/C for AS...but now I'm predicted A,A,A,B/A
Reply 16
Ive never done the ALIS test before :eek: Whats the point of predicting AS grades anyways (for lower sixth)
TheWolf
Ive never done the ALIS test before :eek: Whats the point of predicting AS grades anyways (for lower sixth)

To upset people when they get lesser results on results day.
Reply 18
Invisible
To upset people when they get lesser results on results day.

Lol, almost everyone I know did better than thier predictions.
Reply 19
jumpunderaboat
Lol, almost everyone I know did better than thier predictions.

AHH so its used for motivational purposes such as the Econ teacher marking every essay of mine a c/d when they are probably A grade. :rolleyes:

Latest