Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

How Does Your Uni work out Your Grade for the Year?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How does your university work out whether to award a grade for the year, for example a 1st or a 2:1?

Can anyone take me through the procedure?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most universities have different criteria for working out your overall final grade - you need to refer to your handbook to find out. However, as far as I know (and in my own experience) you don't officially get a grade as such for each year - if it's something you're bothered about, you can add up all of your module marks, divide then by the number of modules takes and you'll get your 'average' grade, which I suppose would be your grade for the year (that's assuming you're taking individually assessed modules, I'm not sure what you'd do if you're not )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes - I wish I had a copy of my uni handbook. I'm not sure if it works on a 'number of e.g. 2:1s' basis or a mean as you have suggested. I really need to find a copy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it not online somewhere? My uni has all of this kind of stuff on the website, under something like 'policies and procedures' or 'examination and assessment'. Have a look at the duller parts of the website lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to find it, thank you.

Out of 8 Modules, the best 7 will be used to calculate a mean for the year.

The first year isn't counted - but a possibility for a scholarship exists if a student gets at least a 2:1 and comes from a low income family.

To get an overall first for the degree I'd require an average of 70% or above for the best 7 modules in the 3rd year + an average of 60% or more in the next best 7in the 2nd or 3rd year

The pattern to gain a 2:1 is easy to work out.

I feel better now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine is the average thing.
    I don't get the ECTS system though at all. If anyone knows can you explain it to me please.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just looking back at this thread. I'm curious - how does your university work out your class of degree?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2009
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.