The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know how your feeling Piglet. I sympthasise it's a disgrace... My german assistants is a bit like that tbh... seems he's working against me.
Reply 21
Btw a native language is the language that you were first taught? Like an english person's native language would be English?

Aimed at Piglet: It's understandable about how you feel about that german girl. I don't think she should be taught if she excels in all four areas of the A-level...she should do it in her own time and should've replaced it with another A-level. Also, making a mockery of the class is not very nice at all, and hogging all the questions by the teacher is not fair at all, you guys should be given time to think and answer them. It's ok to laugh at what people say, write and etc, if it was actually funny, it was a mistake and that you only laugh once in a while, but not all the time, it would get irritating.
Reply 22
Never mind do it in her own time, she shouldn't be allowed to do it fullstop!
Reply 23
It just annoys me. The German girl turns up late, talks so much in class, doesn't do homework etc and it annoys me that shes going to get an A without trying. A much better grade than I will get no matter how much work I put in! Nice set of results you have there Diamondgeezer - well done!
Reply 24
Piglet_x
THIS REALLY REALLY ANNOYS ME.

I'm doing German A-level and theres a german girl in my class. She answers all the Q's, makes the rest of us look stupid and frankly does my head in. She moans that she wont be able to get higher than an A (...) and laughs if we get something wrong in our oral preps. I spoke to teacher about her doing this and my teacher said that shes working well and the rest of us aren't making progress! And she said that me and the rest of the class are not up to her standard. Really? Would never have guessed!

Glad I got that off my chest...hope you all okay xxPigletxx

Agreed :tsr2:
that's so out of order!
Reply 25
Piglet_x
It just annoys me. The German girl turns up late, talks so much in class, doesn't do homework etc and it annoys me that shes going to get an A without trying. A much better grade than I will get no matter how much work I put in! Nice set of results you have there Diamondgeezer - well done!

Piglet, I believe that anyone can get an A at A-level if they tried hard enough. I mean it's gonna be difficult for some people and easy for others but everyone can do it. I mean, you learnt to speak English didn't you? So why can't you do the same for German? It will be time consuming and hard but it's possible.
Reply 26
I feel better already, letting it all out!
I'd probably do english in another country for a laugh, but i could imagine it would be quite boring and start thinking maybe i should use this time to learn the language of the country i'm in lol.
Reply 28
Piglet_x

Thanks! :smile: maybe I we should send the boys round to teach her a lesson or two (not in German though!).

I'm the only one in my German class and that's hell, especially when you don't get on with teacher. It's no wonder I absolute hate German with a passion. I feel like just clicking Free Translation - Human Translation for my coursework, because I find it the most boring and uninspiring language in the world. So ist das Leben (that's probably wrong but je m'en contre-fiche!)

I would kick up a fuss to your teacher. Things get done.
Reply 29
I would be so bored doing it. Honestly, I would feel like I'm taking the pee outta the teacher/students :s. I dont know - each to their own I suppose! x
Reply 30
diamondgeezer
Thanks! :smile: maybe I we should send the boys round to teach her a lesson or two (not in German though!).

I'm the only one in my German class and that's hell, especially when you don't get on with teacher. It's no wonder I absolute hate German with a passion. I feel like just clicking Free Translation - Human Translation for my coursework, because I find it the most boring and uninspiring language in the world. So ist das Leben (that's probably wrong but je m'en contre-fiche!)

I would kick up a fuss to your teacher. Things get done.

Yeah I might. But she loves her because she's German. She cherishes her. Tehe oh well. Its the only A-level she does so thats says alot anyway.

Okay I'm off to bed, thanks all, hope you have a nice day tomorrow :smile: xxxxxxxxx
Reply 31
I think you're all being sore losers here. You're all clearly under the impression that because a French person for example, takes a French A-level, then they're bound to get As. That's not true at all. Whilst we have to write to A-level standard, so too do French people - they'd be hugely penalised should they write in colloquialisms throughout. They still have to prepare speaking materials too, which means they could drop just as many marks as you - on OCR (if I remember correctly) there are 10 marks inclusive of grammar and pronunciation in the Oral exam. The rest is down to how much and well you've worked and researched. You could also put forward the argument that should we not have such fierce competition in these 'natives', the standards of A-level languages would drop immensely - that would surely render language A Levels as useless and possibly blacklisted for university entry, no?

I say just leave this whole 'debate'. You can all rant away about how much you hate natives taking A Level exams in their mother tongue, but is it actually going to change anything...?
Reply 32
Well, my German friend did no preparatio whatsoever except a quick presentation, and she got 297/300. Surely this illustrates my point? What research do you have to at AS?

It's ridculous having natives taking the exam. That's like saying I'm going to take GCSE French after studying A-LEVEL for two years. It just makes it harder for everyone else. It's quite selfish in my opinion really.

I want to be marked on my performance, not my performance compared to the natives who came before and after me in my speaking exam.

And I don't know where you get this thing about colloquialisms from. My german friend said she spoke colloquial german through out the speaking exam, and she ended up with full marks. And anyway would you start using colloquialisms if you were writing an English essay??? The ENB1 section is an absolute doddle for any native speaker, as is the rest of the exam to be fair.

Surely you see my point?
Reply 33
Oh and gooner maybe if we end up at Durham we can have this discussion, since as your only down the road!!
DeadLine
When they don't take into account grade for your native language, why Imperial for all blazes demands me to have 1(=A) from my language?

If you studied your language as English people study it, it wouldn't count. If English people study English as a first language, it counts. If French people study French as a second language, it doesn't. Get it?
diamondgeezer
It just makes it harder for everyone else.

What?

You're not marked relative to anyone else. Examiners are human, but they go through a lot of training. Natives take the exam every year; they know this. They're trained not to let it bother them. So what's the problem?
Reply 36
Grades boundaries fluctuate depending on results... so if loads of natives get full marks. it's bound to be harder!
A guy in my year takes A Level German despite being a native, and found that when he applied to unis, he got a fair few rejections... It's kind of silly really- you would have thought that the school would have told him to take an extra one or something.... But i was in that German class for a week (before changing to further maths :smile:), and it was incredible- he was just having full conversations with the teacher and things, while the rest of us were just like 'what?!'... So he had a bit of an unfair advantage i guess, but it didn't help him for going to uni..
Reply 38
gooner1592
I think you're all being sore losers here. You're all clearly under the impression that because a French person for example, takes a French A-level, then they're bound to get As. That's not true at all. Whilst we have to write to A-level standard, so too do French people - they'd be hugely penalised should they write in colloquialisms throughout. They still have to prepare speaking materials too, which means they could drop just as many marks as you - on OCR (if I remember correctly) there are 10 marks inclusive of grammar and pronunciation in the Oral exam. The rest is down to how much and well you've worked and researched. You could also put forward the argument that should we not have such fierce competition in these 'natives', the standards of A-level languages would drop immensely - that would surely render language A Levels as useless and possibly blacklisted for university entry, no?

I say just leave this whole 'debate'. You can all rant away about how much you hate natives taking A Level exams in their mother tongue, but is it actually going to change anything...?

I'm with you, I sit between two native speakers in my French lessons and have a speaking class each week with three native speakers and can quite honestly say that I don't feel any...bitterness?... towards them at all. Apart from the fact I find them all to be lovely people, I also feel that their presence helps my own learning of the language- if you're aiming for a high and potentially fluent level of ability what could be better than learning the language with native speakers? They raise the standard and I cannot see how this is a negative at all.
As for it being an easy option, yes- it probably is, but there are benefits for them in taking it too. One of which is just to maintain their level of the language, but also, depending on where they've been educated, their formal level of writing etc... may not match their oral ability and in this sense there are things they can learn through A level.
Also, to piglet- it sounds like your problems with this fluent german girl are more to do with her attitude than her being fluent. Just because someone speaks a language it does not mean they WILL feel the need to rub it in the faces of others. I don't think it is fair to generalise.
:rolleyes: I like this face- it looks like someone I know!
I had a friend from Chile in my old school. He was born and raised there for 14 years, Spanish was his first language, and he got a B for Spanish at GCSE.

As are not guaranteed!

Latest

Trending

Trending