The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
LeeC
Profesh, out of interest, why are you so verbose? :P

A combination of aestheticality, pedantry, eccentricity, (perceived) expediency, anal-retentiveness, obliviousness to others, and general force-of-habit.
Reply 81
So many of you are complicating the issue. The problem is this. Some people do have an inherent advantage over others where languages are concerned. However it would be difficult to draw a line which states that these advantages make the situation "unfair" and restrict native speakers. Ultimately, every single person will have an inherent advantage at something, and even if you say "well what about the people who work harder", even that can be analysed as "ability to work harder and not lose concentration" or whatever. Ultimately, it's unfortunate but you will always be up against people who are better than you at something.

It's like going for a job and getting it because you're a native speaker of a certain language and the other applicant isn't. The other applicant may complain that you had an unfair advantage because you were a native, but isn't that the same as complaining that you had an unfair advantage because you were better at Maths, were more articulate and so on?

Ultimately if you are concerned that they will have an easy paper, this paper may still not be of value to any employer who wants to see evidence of effort rather than mere abilities (which are of course important too). Hate to go down the PE teacher "personal best" route, but it really is about that what you can do to make yourself shine. If you are not a native speaker and you learnt to speak a language, that will be more impressive than a native speaker who declares it but already knew it where effort is concerned (and effort is rated highly amongst employers) but as far as merit goes, the native speaker is much better at the language so if the job is language-based, will be in his right to get the job because of it.

As for WHY a native speaker would take the A Level, I think one should stop being bitter and jealous and concentrate on themselves. Who cares why they took it? If it helps, good for them, if it doesn't so be it. I don't know why anyone would do a degree in tapestry but we're all different and want to achieve different things. Finding no reason why they should take the subject isn't to say they did it maliciously or to make things difficult for you.

Hope that made sense, it's not something I expected to type at 4.10am!
Reply 82
Profesh
I took A-Level English Literature because I had every confidence I'd be bloody good at it; because I'm more 'fluent' (i.e. conversant) in the skill-sets relevant to English Literature than in those relating to, say, Further Maths, and hence it would be more conducive to my getting an 'A', which would in turn be more conducive to admittance to [prestigious university] for [stupidly competitive subject]. I don't envisage the rationalisations of bilingual applicants (or, indeed, someone such as Generalebriety, who practically taught himself to A-Level standard in German) as being generally dissimilar.

Ok I understand now.
Reply 83
generalebriety
If you studied your language as English people study it, it wouldn't count. If English people study English as a first language, it counts. If French people study French as a second language, it doesn't. Get it?

I don't see the difference between as English people study it and as a first language, could you explain? And also why UCL is absolutely unconcerned in my grade from my native languages? :smile:
Reply 84
mickjoe18
We have a girl from the Congo in our class and has lived in France for 5/6 years when she was little. She can speak really well but when it comes to writing, she struggles so badly. I suppose A-Level has helped her to grasp that part of a language that she speaks.

Yes.. that's a good point. I have a set of quads (!) in my year group who can all speak German fluently as their mother is German and they were born there... but because of living in England they struggle to write correctly, and they say some of their tenses get mixed up. This is why they choose to study their language, on top of the fact that it's an extra grade- who wouldn't want an additional A to add to their grade sheet? It is much the same situation for a spanish girl in my year.

Of course this may not be a valid reason for many of the native speakers...
Reply 85
:laugh: - I cannot believe I've just read through five pages of this... While I'm not a native speaker of French, I lived in France for five years and so am fluent, but I am nonetheless doing an A-Level in French.

The thing is, sure it's pointless for me since it requires no effort whatsoever (except for the coursework, but that's more because I'm lazy), but at the same time, it's totally pointless as universities will not accept it in an offer due to the fact I lived in France for five years and am fluent.

To be honest, I can't see what all the fuss is about. If you're so insecure about your bad level in that language, then that's your problem, not the natives or those who are fluent. If anything, it's an advantage to have native/fluent speakers in the class as it allows that person in question to help those who are struggling more with the course, and lets the teacher get on with the other pupils (provided the teacher uses the native/fluent speaker properly, and he/she accepts).

Just stop all the fussing and moaning, get off TSR, and go do some revision for that language, and then you won't need to blame the native/fluent speakers for your bad grade. Simple.
Reply 86
DeadLine
I don't see the difference between as English people study it and as a first language, could you explain? And also why UCL is absolutely unconcerned in my grade from my native languages? :smile:

Because you're doing a Slovakian qualification, therefore the your grade in your native language (Slovakian) is equivalent to the standard of A-Level English Lang or A-Level English Lit over here. That's why.
Reply 87
.ACS.
Because you're doing a Slovakian qualification, therefore the your grade in your native language (Slovakian) is equivalent to the standard of A-Level English Lang or A-Level English Lit over here. That's why.

You didn't read my first posts (or didn't pay attention, whatsoever :smile:). I was complaining that Imperial demands me to have 1(=A) in my language whereas UCL not. Anyway, I don't understand why Imperial is interested in my language when I'm going to study computing...
Reply 88
DeadLine
You didn't read my first posts (or didn't pay attention, whatsoever :smile:). I was complaining that Imperial demands me to have 1(=A) in my language whereas UCL not. Anyway, I don't understand why Imperial is interested in my language when I'm going to study computing...

What I'm getting at is that regardless of whether UCL or Imperial asked for it or don't mind it... it's of a higher level than a MFL here, and therefore universities (whether they specifically request it or not) will accept it.

No one can really say why Imperial specifically asked for it in the offer and UCL didn't mention it... You'd have to email them and ask them yourself.
Reply 89
Thanks. Heh, it would be quite funny if I emailed UCL and complained they are uninterested in my grade. :biggrin: Do you think Imperial would change my offer if I asked them for that with my argument that it doesn't have any point at computing? I don't think so... :wink:
Reply 90
gooner1592
I think you're all being sore losers here. You're all clearly under the impression that because a French person for example, takes a French A-level, then they're bound to get As. That's not true at all. Whilst we have to write to A-level standard, so too do French people - they'd be hugely penalised should they write in colloquialisms throughout. They still have to prepare speaking materials too, which means they could drop just as many marks as you - on OCR (if I remember correctly) there are 10 marks inclusive of grammar and pronunciation in the Oral exam. The rest is down to how much and well you've worked and researched. You could also put forward the argument that should we not have such fierce competition in these 'natives', the standards of A-level languages would drop immensely - that would surely render language A Levels as useless and possibly blacklisted for university entry, no?

I say just leave this whole 'debate'. You can all rant away about how much you hate natives taking A Level exams in their mother tongue, but is it actually going to change anything...?

By far the person who has spoken the most sense on here. Now, why don't you all stop ranting on about something which is of little consequence to you personally- it is not as if only the top percentage of candidates can get As, there are grades boundaries, you know. And why don't you go back to doing some French/Spanish/German revision i.e something useful.
The Solitary Reaper
Are you really that stupid? English language is advanced level - it's challenging for native speakers as it contains advanced linguistics etc. It is in no way analogous to doing a foreign language as a native speaker.

Alright, calm down dear :mute:
Reply 92
wesetters
:congrats:

. Just smells of sour grapes really and comes across rather bitter.

If you can't get an A, it's because you aren't good enough for an A, not because the French girl at the next desk is stealing your grades.

Precisely.
wesetters
It's akin to sahying that people who are very good at a subject shouldn't do it. Being of French mother-tongue is no guarantee of a high grade at A level (indeed, several native speakers in my year didn't get As). Just smells of sour grapes really and comes across rather bitter.

This thread is confusing me. How can you have native fluency in a language and /not/ obtain an A at A-level, apart from dropping marks in whatever 'research' components there are? Native competence is way beyond what is needed for an 'A' at A-level. Or are we talking about shades here: natives who are not necessarily /speakers/, and who are picking their language up late, albeit with much help from home?

I always assumed the point of A-level languages was to demonstrate and teach skills, above knowledge. If your skills in a language are beyond A-level standard anyway, what is the point of taking it, other than to puff your CV? But then, nobody looks to A-level languages as tests of fluency; most people just list their languages and have to risk being called on it or not.
Reply 94
I suppose it might be hard on the papers that have questions in English if their English isn't so good. Other than that, I can't see how marks could be dropped besides the research element.
Reply 95
Da Bachtopus
This thread is confusing me. How can you have native fluency in a language and /not/ obtain an A at A-level, apart from dropping marks in whatever 'research' components there are? Native competence is way beyond what is needed for an 'A' at A-level. Or are we talking about shades here: natives who are not necessarily /speakers/, and who are picking their language up late, albeit with much help from home?

I always assumed the point of A-level languages was to demonstrate and teach skills, above knowledge. If your skills in a language are beyond A-level standard anyway, what is the point of taking it, other than to puff your CV? But then, nobody looks to A-level languages as tests of fluency; most people just list their languages and have to risk being called on it or not.

The main ways for someone who is native/fluent in a language to lose marks is through not enough exam practice (not knowing what is expected of them in the exam and how to respond to certain questions) as well as the fact certain modules place heavy emphasis on research and content and little on actual language/grammar.
.ACS.
The main ways for someone who is native/fluent in a language to lose marks is through not enough exam practice (not knowing what is expected of them in the exam and how to respond to certain questions) as well as the fact certain modules place heavy emphasis on research and content and little on actual language/grammar.

OK. I never did an A-level in French, precisely because I thought that rather than spending time on the language I'd have to force myself through lots of exercises I wasn't interested in, with no literature component whatsoever (my school refused to teach it!). But then, surely what you want is the language ability, not some knowledge of current affairs? So why would they be taking the qualification? I'm not suggesting that being good at a subject makes it unfair that you take it; rather, that it's fundamentally pointless to take a subject that won't teach you anything useful unless you have to do it.
Reply 97
diamondgeezer
Well, my German friend did no preparatio whatsoever except a quick presentation, and she got 297/300. Surely this illustrates my point? What research do you have to at AS?

For AS orals on OCR you have to research a topic relating to French/Francophone culture enough to be able to give a 3 minute presentation on it, and then discuss it for a further ~5 minutes. On Edexcel you need to do even more preparation for that aspect, because there isn't the unprepared roleplay which OCR give you. Instead you present the topic for 1-2 minutes and have to discuss it for a further 10 or more minutes, depending on the length of your presentation.

We can all say how easy it must be for natives to just rattle off a perfectly good presentation and have a nice discussion for 5-10 minutes, but really this isn't the case. Did you do oral exams for GCSE English? I certainly remember the ones we had to do quite clearly; the longest we ever had to speak for was about 3-4 minutes when discussing our work experience, and people in my class who were predicted A*s/As received Ds because they found it so hard to speak spontaneously with only a few notes in front of them.

A level exams aren't just about perfect grammar; they do actually test skills which aren't necessarily going to be taught to you in your French/German/Spanish/Russian etc. class. And from that point of view, natives may struggle just as much as non-natives. In other areas natives may struggle even more, for example in the writing sections of exams where to gain the highest marks you need to [sometimes quite artificially] include as many tenses and moods as possible- something which they may not think to do as it would sound pretty unnatural.
Reply 98
wesetters
:congrats:

Arguing that native speakers push the grade boundaries up is absurd. It's akin to sahying that people who are very good at a subject shouldn't do it. Being of French mother-tongue is no guarantee of a high grade at A level (indeed, several native speakers in my year didn't get As). Just smells of sour grapes really and comes across rather bitter.

If you can't get an A, it's because you aren't good enough for an A, not because the French girl at the next desk is stealing your grades.

(It's all slightly reticent of an "Immigrants are taking all our jobs !" Daily Mail rant...).

;yes; When I opened my results in august, I hardly opened them up and thought "DAMN! Some stupid German has stolen the A I was predicted." As quite a few people other than yourself have said, you'll only get an A if you deserve it. This entire thread's topic is pretty pedantic in my opinion, and likely of people who are pissed off that they're worried they're not going to meet their uni offers or the likes because they think all the natives are going to 'steal' the top grades. In all fairness though...are there really that many natives who take these exams? I seriously doubt it.

EDIT: Something else which should be put forward here: languages coursework and literature exams at A-level. Sure, a native will be likely to get full marks on the grammar and range of vocabulary, but what's to say that they're going to ace the exam or write about the stuff the examiner wants to see when they're marking their work?
Da Bachtopus
OK. I never did an A-level in French, precisely because I thought that rather than spending time on the language I'd have to force myself through lots of exercises I wasn't interested in, with no literature component whatsoever (my school refused to teach it!). But then, surely what you want is the language ability, not some knowledge of current affairs? So why would they be taking the qualification? I'm not suggesting that being good at a subject makes it unfair that you take it; rather, that it's fundamentally pointless to take a subject that won't teach you anything useful unless you have to do it.

It is pointless. However, an A-level in French isn't just about being good at French; it's about jumping through hoops the way the examiner wants you to, and to do that you need to be good at French and good with your exam technique. Remember, in French GCSE you have to get in a past tense, a present tense, a future tense, opinions, justifications, and all that rubbish while keeping within a tiny word limit. No one writes like that naturally, so it takes a hell of a lot of training. The A-level is similar, just more subtle. (Not that this at all justifies natives taking it...)

Latest

Trending

Trending