The Student Room Group

AS assessed practical (skill P)

i have just been given my planning exercise to do for Skill P

Which equation is correct?
Copper has two oxides, Cu2O and CuO

Copper carbonate, CuCo3 decomposes on heating to form one of these oxides and an equation can be written for each possible reaction:

Equation 1 : 2CuCO3 (s) --> Cu2O (s) + 2CO2 (g) + 1/2 O2 (g)
Equation 2: CuCO3 (s)--> CuO (s) + CO2 (g)

Using ideas that you have learnt about the mole, plan and design an experiment to measure VOLUME OF GAS that wil prove which of the two equations os correct.

Please can someone help me with this?
:smile:
Reply 1
Well you can see from the equations that they both show a different molar ratio of moles of copper carbonate to the number of moles of gas given off. Remembering that at room temp 1 mole occupies 24dm3 you need to decompose a known mass of copper carbonate, collect the gas and work out the molar ratio and compare it to the equations. Eq 1 is 4:5 while eq 2 is 1:1.

To collect the gas it's easiest to use a gas syringe, if you have one available. Find out what size gas syringes you have in your labs because you'll need to work out how much cuco3 to use roughly so as not to create so much gas that you can't measure it. I'd guess they'll be 100cm3 so you'll need to work out how much cuco3 would create 100cm3 of gas (using the first equation since this one creates more gas than the 2nd) and use a bit less in the experiment.

Latest