The Student Room Group

Best time for a practical test?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
8:10 is fine, nice and fresh with a clear head for the day, the examiner has been trained to take certain things into consideration, they are uber experts. If you've had enough practice you should be relatively okay.
You're going to have to drive in busy town areas anyway, as long as you do all you're observations, I can't see where the problem would be.

Oh yeah just one thing that really gets on my *insert bodypart here* is this ludicrous 'Quota' *insert expletive here*, that people use as an excuse for their faults, come on people, be big enough to admit that we're not exactly perfect, for crying out loud you've only been driving for a year, maybe not even that!
If you're that worried people, get your driving instructors to sit in the back on your test.

I apologise for that 'little' rant but its relevant in a round about way, it wasn't aimed at any one person here, just those that believe in the 'quota'.
I did mine at 8.40 but was on the road from 7.30 in my lesson. It gets a bit busy but it's nothing to worry about.

One thing I have to say is DON'T WORRY ABOUT HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET OUT AT JUNCTIONS. If there isn't a gap, there isn't a gap. I did something silly because I was panicked about taking ages. Of course I was taking ages there was a steady flow of traffic! Had I not done so I would be a driver! Don't rush yourself and if you are good enough you will pass
Reply 22
Exactly, if your up to standard, it shouldnt matter what time you take it.
Reply 23
I say stick with what you've got. There's no harm in trying, is there?

If you've booked the test, then you obviously feel ready to have a go at it. If you wait for another month then you'll be wasting time, and you'll probably end up wondering 'what if?' you'd stuck with the 8:10. You never know, you might get a great route, some good manoeuvres and a friendly instructor, despite the time of the morning!

And if you're like me and are worrying about the cost should you fail, just think, you'd be having to keep lessons going for another month. That's an average of £40 a week, for four weeks.. that's a lot of money when you could pass straight away.

Trust in yourself and your abilities and you'll be fine! Go for it!
Reply 24
I've got my test at 7.20 does anyone know if it's busy at this time? I am thinking it won't be but then it will start getting busy towards the end of my test.
Reply 25
I have to have my lessons at 1pm because that is the earliest I can cope with :biggrin: 7:20am is stupidly early for me!

I think I will try and get my test for around dinner time so it is a bit busy (i.e won't take me on mutli lane roundabouts) but its not too busy it causes problems.
Reply 26
i really wouldn't bother rescheduling, i'd just take it. it's nice and early, you're not going to have to worry about it all day and get yourself into a state; rush hour can be a good or bad thing (personally i see it as good; i always drive better in it because i concentrate more); oh, and if the schools in that area have broken up by then for half term then you'll have less traffic around, if that's a concern for you. and, depending on what kind of person you are, a nice early start could be good for you -- you might be more fresh and alert for your test than if it was lunchtime or mid-afternoon. i'd pick morning over afternoon everytime if i had to sit another test.

plus if you reschedule you'll probably be pushing your test back further -- do you really want to do that?
Reply 27
yvonnay
I've got my test at 7.20 does anyone know if it's busy at this time? I am thinking it won't be but then it will start getting busy towards the end of my test.

depends on the area. in the city i sat my test in, it'd be dead at that time. towards the end of the test, there'd still be hardly any traffic about, and even then it'd still be completely empty in certain parts of the city. in the (larger) city that i now live in, it'd probably be wayyy quiet and then start to pick up a bit (but not to the point of 'busy') by the end of the test.
Reply 28
ummm i had mine at 8.10 am. Just as everyone was going to work and school. But if your ready to get a licence you should be able to drive in any conditions and at any time. So i don't think there is any best time.
Had both my tests at 10:24am and I found it was a good time. I made sure I steered away from morning rush-hour when everyone travels to work, around 12pm when people go on lunchbreaks, and around 3pm when children come home from school.
Reply 30
whoops wish i'd read the rest of this thread before...i re-scheduled my test for a week later (kinda felt I needed that) and at 9.37. my instructor is pleased, so i hope it goes well..
These test time are at ridiculous times. It's so hard to find a time you want! Choices are minimal. 8:10, 9:07, 2:27, 3:27 Etc. and if you want a time like 11am or 10am you have to wait like two months before you can actually get a time like that. So annoying. I'm having my test at 8:10 am in 3weeks. 1st time I had my test was 2:27. Traffic was perfect.. Wasn't busy at all.. I failed 2mins before I got back to the test centre.. Was stationary in a que of traffic on red lights. But I was infront of a side road and for that I failed 😩 bummer. Oh well better luck next time.. Don't know whether I should stick to the 8:10 test time as it's going to be busy... Oh and I'm doing my test in Heaton in Bradford so of anyone has done their test in this area and this time then please let me know what it was like? :smile:
Reply 32
Its in the morning hours while your mind is still afresh.
Original post by Taslima_h
These test time are at ridiculous times. It's so hard to find a time you want! Choices are minimal. 8:10, 9:07, 2:27, 3:27 Etc. and if you want a time like 11am or 10am you have to wait like two months before you can actually get a time like that. So annoying. I'm having my test at 8:10 am in 3weeks. 1st time I had my test was 2:27. Traffic was perfect.. Wasn't busy at all.. I failed 2mins before I got back to the test centre.. Was stationary in a que of traffic on red lights. But I was infront of a side road and for that I failed 😩 bummer. Oh well better luck next time.. Don't know whether I should stick to the 8:10 test time as it's going to be busy... Oh and I'm doing my test in Heaton in Bradford so of anyone has done their test in this area and this time then please let me know what it was like? :smile:

Nearly 7 years, that's impressive.
Hi I had my first test and I failed with 7miner and 2major one was on changing line to right I don't cause any danger but he said I make other car to slow down for me and other one for blind spot
I had test on11:19am in Suttoncoldfild good time I think choose less busy hours in quite time you can make less mistakes on junctions roundabouts stoping and moving away pedestrian

Quick Reply

Latest