The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bex_26797
I think I am just tired, thus any scrunity of subjects that I did makes me irrate! I should go to bed! Well, art enables you to be analytic to some extent, as you have to consider art techniques and their usage (looking for something minorly transferrable). :wink:

you're right, there are some transferable skills.

you do some research - more than in subjects like french for example.
you also have the standard skill of getting your work in on time and to a high standard (a lot of marks are on effort)
as you mentioned, analytical skills.
it also teaches you the value of aesthetics, ensuring all work is presented in a neat manner which you do get marks for in every subject and is important for many courses at A level & university.

The only thing is lacks that other subjects have is written work.
bex_26797
Nothing is wrong with art! It is not a soft subject!

Yes it is.

Just because it is soft doesn't mean it's easy, mind.

*What Generalebriety said, basically*
Speedbird2008
Yes it is.

Just because it is soft doesn't mean it's easy, mind.

*What Generalebriety said, basically*

I admit I am wrong!:wink: Ok? umm.. I know people don't take too kindly to excuses on tsr but I blame both stress and tiredness:frown: . I apologise!
Reply 23
This isn't meant to belittle GCSEs in any way (I sat them too, after all :wink:) but for university, it really is more about quantity and the grades you get in each subject as opposed to the actual subjects themselves. The main use of actual GCSE subjects is to provide you with a rudimentary knowledge which provides a basis for carrying it on to A level, i.e. you probably wouldn't decide to take A level Russian having never studied the language before in your life, so in taking it at GCSE you're building up intermediate skills in the language which you can then develop by taking it at A level.

As much as your SATs may have determined what sets you were placed in for your GCSEs, your GCSEs decide what A levels you take next year. Your A levels then generally decide what degree course you'll do, and it is just taken as a given that you'll probably have studied the right GCSEs to get you to that position. They don't care if you took Textiles instead of Latin, as long as you aren't planning to do Latin for your degree, or if you are, you have some other form of qualification in it such as an A level.

In short, try to choose subjects which you're interested in and some of which you think you'll want to take at A level, but don't worry too much about supposedly "less respected" subjects at GCSE level at least. :smile:
Well, I would always recommend a good balance, especially if you're unsure of what to do at A-level. My choices were 2 more academic subjects paired with 2 more creative subjects, and then doing that made me realise what sort of path I wanted to go down. It's very helpful, especially if you're an all-rounder when it comes to subject areas.

Latest