The Student Room Group

Dianette (the pill) and Hirsutism (Excessive Body Hair)

Hey, if for some reason, this isn't anon..DELETE please.

I'm female. Just been to the doctor about excessive body hair.
It's really getting me down..can't begin to explain.

Basically feels like my brains been taking over with thoughts of hair removal..I still go out and have a good time, friends would have NO idea the amount of hair removal i go through, but i'm stressing they will start to suspect. Things are gettin much worse. And i'm at a time where i'd love a long term relationship but NO way could I have one, it's so time consuming removing hair i'd never be fuzz free everywhere all the time with a bf. And whether he minds about the hair or not..i do :frown: Anyway though...

I'm pretty sure i'm gonna be diagnosed with PCOS (waiting for results)
and hoping to be put on Dianette to maybe reduce the hair.
If i don't have PCOS...can dianette still help?

REALLY worried about side effects tho...esp weight gain!!
I am small..like size 8/10 but i have a small frame and quite a big amount of body fat. I reallyyy do not want this increasing. My stomach is huge (trust me!) as it is..:frown:

Has anyone had anyy experience with this for body hair?
Did it work?
I know it helps acne..
Any bad side effects? Was the weight gain really bad?
How much does it work?

Please help! Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

I'm on Dianette at the moment for this, but I don't have PCOS, so yes you can still be prescribed it.

I have noticed some improvement, but only after several months, so you have to be patient. It has really cleared my skin up, which is good.

Weight-wise, I've stayed about the same. I think it can only really increase your appetite, so if you're careful with what you eat, you should be ok.

If you're prescribed it, the doctor will explain the side effects - they are quite serious like a higher risk of blood clots. Some people get depression or really bad migraines and have to stop taking it. So just be aware of how you feel and react to it - I've been absolutely fine, and it's been positive for me, having periods like clockwork makes it easy to plan things as well.

How are you removing hair atm? I recommend waxing/epilating so you have more fuzz-free time between hair removal. :smile:
There's also a cream you can try called (I think) Vaniqua - it's often prescribed for women with PCOS so it might be worth asking about.

I have a similar problem and I know how you feel. I'm so totally jealous of women who can just get up and go out without worrying about being bristly/fuzzy.
Reply 3
I do have PCOS, and am on Dianette. I spoke to the Dr about it, and did some research beforehand to make sure I knew what I was taking. It is actually prescribed to a lot of women for either hirsutism or skin problems, without any reference to PCOS. In the booklet that comes with it, it doesn't even mention PCOS! Of course it depends on particular situations, but I'd be very sure that Dianette can still help!! You do, however, have to be patient- The effects can take over three months to come into play, as someone else has said. I haven't had any problems, apart from having very tender breasts, but thats a minor thing, and has eased off a lot with time.

It is horrible having to deal with excessive hair!!! It takes so much effort to keep up appearances, and sometimes even with the removal it can look worse if it is stubbly:frown: I really sympathise with you that it occupies your mind, sometimes there's nothing else you can think about is there? Like Anon 2, I would recommend waxing as well. My mum recently found a lovely beautician who does house visits, and it is brilliant!! I feel really confortable with her, and having someone else sort out the problem for me is quite relaxing. And of course having it hair-free time lasting longer is brilliant:biggrin: If it if facial hair removal, I would recommend having it done perhaps in the evening, with a quiet day next, as there can sometimes be some lingering redness. Personally, I feel just as self-concious knowing people can see that I've removed my hair:redface: Perhaps you could also try threading? I've heard it recommended esepcially for facial hair.

Well, I hope the Doc can sort something out for you, and sorry for the long post- this is a topic is feel very strongly about:p:
Reply 4
Im on it for acne and have had no side-effects whatsoever :smile:
Reply 5
I was on dianette for a year for acne, I came off it a month ago and I'm now on yasmin. I can't advise you as to how it works for hair but for spots it was great, it really cleared my skin up to the best it has been in a very long time. I don't know if it will be the same for you but I had to take it for about six months before I saw any results which was frustrating. As for side effects, I didn't really put on any weight, I'm still a size 8, but it does give you a bigger chest. Also, it gave me a constant dull headache, I was willing to put up with it as I found that when it got too bad syndol made it go. I had to come off dianette as I started getting migraines but it was really effective apart from that so I hope it works for you, just be prepared to be patient whilst it kicks in.
(Anon or delete please)

I'm on dianette for excessive hair and I've been on it since about October. The only side effect I had was mild cramping in my lower legs but that disappeared within the first two or three weeks. I have not gained any weight as I was worried about this, I've always had a big appetite anyway but I am still a nice healthy size 10 :smile: I can't really say whether it is working yet as I have it very bad and the doc said it could take between 6 and 18 months (!) for it to work. Fingers crossed though; I know how painful it is constantly looking at everyone else, wishing you were like them, hoping that you are not the only one out there and that someone else could understand. Swimming, boyfriends, clubbing clothes all seem out of the question and to make it worse, no one would ever suspect as long as we keep covered up so no one gets why we are so self conscious.

There are a lot of horror stories about this drug because it has been known to cause depression and migraines in many people. I have suffered with depression before but I actually don’t feel too bad most of the time so it hasn’t changed my mood. Just make sure you know the pros and cons and good luck!
Reply 7
Thank-you for all your replies :smile:
I'm hoping to try it then.
Does it not do anything to your metabolism then, is it just your appetite?

Also, I am soo petrified of going to a salon to get waxed. I know i need to overcome it but i really can't. Scared the beauticians will just be like "Omg..i've never seen anything so bad! :eek:"
Even for my legs...arghh :frown:

But i guess i just have to live with it...yay:mad:
Reply 8
Anonymous

I know how painful it is constantly looking at everyone else, wishing you were like them, hoping that you are not the only one out there and that someone else could understand. Swimming, boyfriends, clubbing clothes all seem out of the question and to make it worse, no one would ever suspect as long as we keep covered up so no one gets why we are so self conscious.

So exactly how i feel lol. At least we're not alone eh?..:redface:
They should do a spa or salon just for hirsutes so we can feel normal and good about ourselves as we wouldn't have to hide and feel ashamed. I really think it would help to meet other people who sufferthe same thing; share stories, worries etc. buecasue from reading this it seems we are not as alone as we feel!
I went on dianette for a bit but I kept forgetting to take it. I plan to go on it again. Yeh its horrible- would be nice if teher was a spar or something. Ive had laser and it doesnt work and just wax and bleach the rest! I cant see myself in a lt relationship- not until I get a better fuzz free routine going!!! x x x
Reply 11
I was on dianette a few years back to clear up my acne and I didn't put on weight or experience any other side effects at all.
Reply 12
My friend had exactly this and she got put on dianette too - it's worked great for her! Your hormones ae imbalanced and just need a bit of twiddling, that's all! No different than going on the pill for cramps or the variety of other reasons there are.
Hi girls, look you are not alone in any sense of the word...and i'm so glad we can actually talk and discuss this now. I'm a normal 21 year old girl, and like alot of you here have been suffering from hirituism ever since I can remember. It started at high school when i noticed the hairs on my tummy & not knowing any better I shaved! Then I noticed dark hairs appearing round my neck area, I am blonde and as you could imagine this was really distressing for me. I have been doing alot of research about hirituism as it was something that quite frankly took over my full life, I was too ashamed to tell anyone about it until last year. I also suffer from mild acne just to help you understand. I have been tested for pcos - came back negative then took for a scan to be sure - still did'nt have it. My hormone levels were normal also. My research brought me to the conclusion that this is just how I am, and the best form of hair removal ( particulary in small areas ) is electrolysis - it is the only pernament solution. Laser hair removal keeps it at bay longer than waxing but the hair will grow back. I have started electrolysis for my face and have been going once a week, I'm paying £11 at a time which for me is nothing compared to the results, some hairs havent grown back atall. I wont lie its going to take me a good year to get my desired outcome but for me that is worth it. I have also been prescribed Dianette by my GP, and Im hoping with the combination of this and electrolysis i'll see results. I know how you all feel, im scared of relationships, im scared of even people looking too close at me. It got to the stage where I left my job as I was so paranoid and I kept bringing myself down because I wasnt 'normal'. Truth is I've scanned the net for all info, got to the point I was even telling my doctor what to prescribe me lol...there are lots of women with this infact 15% of girls in the UK have it and thats only the ones that have came forward and spoke about it, so as you can imagine - there must be more! If im honest im still down about it, as my hair is covering all of my body and sometimes I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel with this, but to know finally that im not alone is a great comfort to me. And relationship wise if someone can't accept this about me then they arent worth the hassle are they? Further advice I would suggest is ''Vaniqua'' which is a cream you can only get from your GP, use after shaving/waxing or whatever grooming process you go through, I believe a combination is the key. The hair on my face has vastly improved im happy to say, and now i can tackle other areas. I will also let you know how Dianette is working out and if its worth looking into, I only started it yesterday and my GP said give it 6months - this pill also has been raved about for clearing acne better than an anti-biotic...so im looking forward to the results. Just keep some faith and if any of you have any questions about anything - feel free to ask. I'll keep you all updated on my progress :smile: x x x x
Hi girls, look you are not alone in any sense of the word...and i'm so glad we can actually talk and discuss this now. I'm a normal 21 year old girl, and like alot of you here have been suffering from hirituism ever since I can remember. It started at high school when i noticed the hairs on my tummy & not knowing any better I shaved! Then I noticed dark hairs appearing round my neck area, I am blonde and as you could imagine this was really distressing for me. I have been doing alot of research about hirituism as it was something that quite frankly took over my full life, I was too ashamed to tell anyone about it until last year. I also suffer from mild acne just to help you understand. My periods are normal and are like clockwork! I have been tested for pcos - came back negative then took for a scan to be sure - still did'nt have it. My hormone levels were normal also. My research brought me to the conclusion that this is just how I am, and the best form of hair removal ( particulary in small areas ) is electrolysis - it is the only pernament solution. Laser hair removal keeps it at bay longer than waxing but the hair will grow back. I have started electrolysis for my face and have been going once a week, I'm paying £11 at a time which for me is nothing compared to the results, some hairs havent grown back atall. I wont lie its going to take me a good year to get my desired outcome but for me that is worth it. I have also been prescribed Dianette by my GP, and Im hoping with the combination of this and electrolysis i'll see results. I know how you all feel, im scared of relationships, im scared of even people looking too close at me. It got to the stage where I left my job as I was so paranoid and I kept bringing myself down because I wasnt 'normal'. Truth is I've scanned the net for all info, got to the point I was even telling my doctor what to prescribe me lol...there are lots of women with this infact 15% of girls in the UK have it and thats only the ones that have came forward and spoke about it, so as you can imagine - there must be more! If im honest im still down about it, as my hair is covering all of my body and sometimes I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel with this, but to know finally that im not alone is a great comfort to me. And relationship wise if someone can't accept this about me then they arent worth the hassle are they? Further advice I would suggest is ''Vaniqua'' which is a cream you can only get from your GP, use after shaving/waxing or whatever grooming process you go through, I believe a combination is the key. The hair on my face has vastly improved im happy to say, and now i can tackle other areas. I will also let you know how Dianette is working out and if its worth looking into, I only started it yesterday and my GP said give it 6months - this pill also has been raved about for clearing acne better than an anti-biotic...so im looking forward to the results. Just keep some faith and if any of you have any questions about anything - feel free to ask. I'll keep you all updated on my progress :smile: x x x x
Yes electrolysis is good: it's the only permanent hair removel. And the people who do it have seen many others with lots of hair so there's nothing to worry about. To the person above, where do you go to get yours done as it sounds cheaper than the one I've visited for a consultation?
Luckily its my local beautician, I found out about it by looking on yell.com and simply typing in electrolysis the cloest to my area. Her prices are reasonable £9 for 15mins, £11 for 20, £15 for 30mins and so forth...you'll be suprised on how many beauticians actually offer this service. Also ive noticed with major skin clinics the prices are ridiculous. hope this helps x
also ive got to say, I felt shame and embarrassment the first time I went to my beauticians and asked about the electrolysis, infact I got so upset she took me into another room...she told me there is no shame and you'll be suprised how many girls ive got coming to me for this treatment - its nothing ive not seen before. And its nothing that can't be treated. Think of the results both physically & mentally - dont feel embarassed about going, or wish there was a spa just for hirsute women - the truth is with all women hair is at some point an issue, we just have more of an issue. Its nothing theyve not seen honestly!!! good luck x x x x
Wow this thread has cheered me up. I've been on dianette for abouuuuuuuutttttt 6 months. I see a slight improvement, you can't really see much from about a metre away, but still not good enough. I'm planning on laser removal soon - i've heard it comes back but if it works and it's longer term than waxing then i'm in. i can't wax or shave because I get ingrown hairs which look horrible! I can trim, and thats it :frown:. I'm sure that not all hope is lost for us :smile:
anon 8 can I ask how big an improvement were talkin here, ive just started Dianette and im hoping it really helps my condition. Also ive noticed with waxing it thins your hair but more hair comes with it, laser hair removal will help with the thinning of the hair and for advice what I would do ...would be get a few sessions and let the hair grow back a little to see the difference in the thickness - then go for some electrolysis. Its been a god send for me honestly! Also for sensitive skin especially, I recommend threading - no harsh chemicals involved. Just make sure you get someone who's been doing it for a long time, I went to someone who went to a day course to learn it and the results just werent the same and it was more painful because she took longer! x x x

Latest