The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Either post-grad and then teach in a university, or do a law conversion, or work in the city, or the foreign office, or a think-tank. So, no idea really.
Reply 2
Perhaps teaching or post-grad?
Graduating this summer and got a job lined up working in corporate tax for Deloitte
Reply 4
human rights law, journalism/writing ....most probably human rights law with journalism on the side- working for the BBC would be amazing
Reply 5
Publishing/Law/Journalism! Not sure, the great thing about a history degree is that you can do anything really.
Reply 6
Post-grad
Something in the civil service/government is appealing (because it would feel so important :biggrin:), but its probably a bit idealistic. I've also had teaching in the back of my mind for a long time; initially I thought primary school, but now I'm more drawn to secondary. Other thoughts have been community or charity work...

I don't know really, just something helpful and significant is the goal.
Reply 8
Teach (yes, there's always at least one :p:). It's something I've wanted to do since the age of about 10, and with two terms of experience in a primary school I'm more committed then ever to the idea.
Reply 9
I would have thought common answers would be interesting careers like archeology, working for national trusts etc
finance, gonna give the big 4 a shot
alio~
I would have thought common answers would be interesting careers like archeology, working for national trusts etc

A stereotype normally :p:

Most history students I imagine have a grander calling!
alio~
working for national trusts etc

The heritage industry and history aren't the same thing :wink:
Reply 13
*bangs his head against a block of HAP papers*
Reply 14
FadeToBlackout
The heritage industry and history aren't the same thing :wink:

well some people who work there must need to have some knowledge of history.
alio~
well some people who work there must need to have some knowledge of history.

You'd be surprised about how little they know.
CamRob
*bangs his head against a block of HAP papers*

HAP's my favourite. :redface: It's the only paper where one can, entirely, bull****.... :wink:

alio
well some people who work there must need to have some knowledge of history

Heritage, for example the National Trust, follows its own agenda. It needs to present one single interpretation to the public; there's no room for reinterpretation, doubt or debate. Everything must be presented as true.

This is not History.

I couldn't stand working in Heritage; for me, giving one single interpretation when I know there's many out there would be tantamount to lying by omission.
HAP looks really interesting and a nice blibliography to boot :biggrin:

Agree withg FTB re the Heritage industry. I did a 8 week work placement last year and it couldn't have ended quicker. Don't get me started on museums, or English Heritage sites...
Stickyvix
Agree withg FTB re the Heritage industry. I did a 8 week work placement last year and it couldn't have ended quicker. Don't get me started on museums, or English Heritage sites...

Can I get you started then use extensive quotes in my 6,000 word essay on History and Heritage surrounding Hadrian's Wall? :wink:
Reply 19
FadeToBlackout
Can I get you started then use extensive quotes in my 6,000 word essay on History and Heritage surrounding Hadrian's Wall? :wink:

The Romans built it didn't they ? or was it the Greeks ? (oh wait it was the greeks who built the Antonine wall) Yeah but then Genghis Khan came along and destroyed it around 57bc.

Latest

Trending

Trending