The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the fact that we can only apply at 5unis!!
Reply 2
the length of time it takes (i waited 6 months and two of my choices only got back to me in the last week of that)
Reply 3
3 final choices
firm insurance insurance2
I would change the fact that everyone hears back at different times, I think. I don't see any reason why the universities couldn't continue to make their decisions from the time that the applications start coming in... but I don't think we should hear back as individuals; I think it should be like results' day, where everyone hears back at the same time. Not sure if most people would agree with this, though. :smile:
Reply 5
1. Change the ridiculous system that Oxbridge has a different deadline
2. Universities should not be able to see what school the student goes to (in order to stop public/private bias)
3. All universities should give offers on the same day.
4. If, which I don't do myself but others do, you choose to apply to different courses at different unis (i.e. history at one and history and politics at another) you should be able to send in two different personal statements

I think if you did that, you'd have a good system. What we have now is a bit of a mess.
able to apply to both oxford and cambridge. apply post A level results so in august and all unis have 1 month (when they arnt teaching) to sort everything out...maybe thats dificult lol but really this A level predictions stuff is nonsense. id like A levels marked quicker. results at the end of july. then we have 2 months for unis to sort out their decisions.
The layout of it! If track was more interesting, it would have made my obsession much more manageable!! As it is, it's just a boring plain screen... Kind of monotonous..
To be honest, I wouldn't change much. UCAS worked fine for me. I do, however, feel for those people applying to multiple subjects and have to try and wing it with only one personal statement. That's something that should be worked on.
The fact that it uses a personal statement system, so we can't apply for different courses without contradicting ourselves.

An option to send different personal statements to each university would be much better, in my opinion. Sort of a blend between the US and the UK university application system.
Reply 10
Apply to Oxbridge seperately, that way if you get a rejection you still have 5 choices :p:
1. They should have a separate page for your fee status for each of your choices.

2. Find a nicer synonym for UNSUCCESSFUL.

3. Actually impose the UCAS tariff. Would be nice for IB students, if I get my predicted I supposedly have the equivalent of 4 and a half A's and still stupid unis who ask ABB or AAB ask me to get that many.. :frown:
FTC199
the length of time it takes (i waited 6 months and two of my choices only got back to me in the last week of that)

That has nothing to do with UCAS, that is the fault of the universities :smile:

1)I want 6 choices like last year!
Soon enough I bet they will make it 4 choices... then 3... :mad:

2)You should be allowed to send a different personal statement to each uni, so you can explain why you want that particular course/uni

3)It should not let you withdraw online. Several people have made the mistake of accidentally clicking it, and it would be easy for someone to hack your account and withdraw you!
We should have to give our written consent I think.

4)People keep complaining that they want to be able to choose to go to their insurance even if they do not get their firm grades, so they should change it to "choice one" and "choice two", and be able to pick if they both accept you.

5)They should extend the 14 day deadline they have for everything a little.

6)We should not have to send our replies to each uni at the same time, so that we may choose our firm now and insurance later.

Those are my suggestions :wink:
Reply 13
I wish I could have applied at better uni's, I think I limited myself in my choices and wasnt sure of reputation and grad opportunities when I was applying. I also think that its a fault of my schools for not informing me of these things and I have mentioned it to my year head. I would still try keep the same course, just better unis. And I know its not to do with my UCAS, but if I could choose my A-Levels again I would love to aswell.
Reply 14
To be allowed to swap choices.
Reply 15
How about applying inderpendantly from UCAS. In other words the best thing UCAS could do is vote itself out of existance. In realistic terms , I think this will happen next year , is that the finance side of things will be on the same vote as UCAS so it all gets sorted out together.
I think they ought to change the bit where it says "unsuccessful" to "unconditional".
Reply 17
I really can't say a bad word about UCAS, they were bloody brilliant for me (:
Reply 18
Route B is a joke, I had the impression I had three choices for route B but in reality you only have one, maybe two as many good art colleges would only accept first choice applications. As I only applied to two route A, I could only really apply to three universities in total. Quite unfair.

Infact the whole Route A and B system is pants. Route A could work for art courses if the interviews were flexible to ensure the applicants have no clashes.

Otherwise no major problems with Ucas itself. I think the whole online application thing is great.
Reply 19
more choices.

Latest

Trending

Trending