The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Craghyrax
You can't know that, because I haven't actually yet explained my personal view on the matter, but commented on the nature of the discussion.

Indirectly condemning isn't any better, when the issue that you are disagreeing about hasn't got anything to do with any objective right or wrong, but rather subjective opinion and personal preferences and goals. Conversely it is very understandable that students would want to apply to Oxbridge for strategic reasons if they knew they wanted to have a competitive advantage on the job market, and whether or not one shares that goal does not change the fact that its a fairly understandable motivation. As for 'using it ..as an elitist notion': people don't consciously use something like this for elitism. If they have an elitist attitude, this will probably have alot of grounding in their upbringing or insecurities that they are not consciously considering in reapplying.

Please do tell what your opinion is then.
Shrayans
Please do tell what your opinion is then.

I can't tell you my opinion without you giving me a particular example of a person who's reapplying but include all the details that they are considering in their choice, and their personal reasons for wanting to be at Oxbridge that strongly. Even then I would not object or judge them unless their reason was going to be harmful to them (eg if they had ridiculously unrealistic hopes of it, or somehow thought that they'd feel happier in themselves after proving to themself they could do it - and even then preferably only if I knew them personally) or somesuch. General opinions on this kind of issue aren't at all helpful.
Reply 82
I probably would have, since I didn't like the other universities I'd picked, was taking a Gap Year anyway and would prefer to be doing a different course :ninja:
But then again, I wasn't so I didn't.
Reply 83
Nope, I don't think I would've reapplied. Of course, it's easy to sit here and say that now, with an offer, but I was just desperate to go to university and - as everyone else has said - there are plenty of other amazing universities out there. However, if I don't meet my offer and my two choices won't accept me (both AAA) then I'll probably go back to college, resit and reapply.
there were quite a few people who were reapplying when i was down for interview, a few of them got in second time around as well!

Latest

Trending

Trending