The Student Room Group

Just a few queries about applying through Extra

Basically, I decided to decline all my offers and apply for a different uni through Extra and just wanted to know a few things about it. These questions may seem stupid so bare with me :redface: ..
First off, with courses in Extra- do they usually send out replies quicker as the uni's want to fill up spaces? and is it slightly 'easier' (for want of a better word) to get offers going through Extra? As in, do they sometimes give out offers even though the applicant might not have the required predicted grades etc? Sorry to sound so naive but I'm just confused about it all.
You are leaving things very late. UCAS Extra has been open since 26 February. You seem to be pinning a lot of hope on the universities needing applicants but, at this stage, they will not be desperate at all. Requirements will not be significantly different either. Universities (regardless of Extra) do sometimes give offers to those that are not predicted to meet them, but the offer is not necessarily any lower than the standard.

Think very carefully before giving up offers to enter UCAS Extra. There are no guarantees. However, if you have changed your mind and would not be happy at the places you have offers from there may be little to lose.
Reply 2
Ah, sorry forgot to mention that part- I changed my mind on the uni's I applied to. I'm 100% sure I made the right decision in declining them because I knew I wouldn't be happy going to any of them. And now, by going through Extra, I'm applying to a uni that I very much want to go to and they just so happen to have vacancies on the course I want to do. And I'm just asking these questions out of curiosity really.
Have you called them prior to doing this in order to establish that (a) they do still have vacancies and (b) your application would stand a realistic chance? Don't just rely on the UCAS website for availability information.
Reply 4
Yes, I rang them beforehand to make sure they still had places available and they said they did and I told them what I'm currently taking at college and they said that was also fine. I made sure to research it all before I made any big decisions. I just knew I wouldn't be happy going to my original choices.
Good luck!
Reply 6
Anyone else got anything they could add? Just need to know these things out of curiosity really and to put my mind at rest.
Reply 7
I don't think any of us can add to what you already know. You've done all the right things; the next milestone (if you haven't heard from the uni by then) is 21 days after you put in your application, when you can move on and apply elsewhere if you want to. This is a reasonable point at which to contact the uni considering your application at the moment and gently enquire when a decision might be expected. As to whether it's easier to get an offer through Extra - it might be for some unis and some courses, but in general the typical offers hold until Clearing. I'm afraid all you can do now is wait!

Latest

Trending

Trending