The Student Room Group

Help needed with STEP exams

Some background,
Doing 4 a levels, maths, F maths, IT , physics and got an offer from wawrick of 4A which i understand to be their normal offer. Also it said or 2A, 1B and grade 2 in STEP.

Just wondering if you could answer a few of my questions about STEP exams.

For me to get a grade 2 what's involved?
Do i need to sit all 3 papers?
Do i need to try all three sections in a paper?
Can i still apply now to sit a paper in June 08?

Any help apprechiated
Ok...

To get a grade 2, you need to answer about three questions 'fully', maybe just over three if we're talking STEP I. For Warwick, you'll almost certainly only need to sit one paper - check your offer requirements, they normally say STEP I (as opposed to II or III). You can't sit all three anyway. In the paper itself, you're assessed on your six best questions - so yes, you can go in there and blanket-answer all fourteen, but you probably won't get a very good mark, because you'll have spread your efforts too thin.

It's entirely free choice of question - you choose how many you answer (you can answer more than six if you want, or less than six if you don't feel you're able to) and which sections you answer from; they all carry 20 marks each, and you won't be penalised if you do 6 pure questions or 3 mechanics and 3 stats. Maximum mark is, obviously, 120. Bear in mind that for an A-level student the pure questions are probably what you'll want to put most effort into, because there's more of 'em. :wink:

I don't know if you can still apply now. Ask your exam officer as soon as possible - you should be able to.
Reply 2
I am doing just normal a level maths at a levels now... doing maths at uni..

do you recommend me to do step/aea papers before I go? if so, which ones? I, II or III?

whats the difference btw?
johnheyes91
I am doing just normal a level maths at a levels now... doing maths at uni..

do you recommend me to do step/aea papers before I go? if so, which ones? I, II or III?

whats the difference btw?

Where are you planning on going to uni? Wherever it is, STEP will help you if you think you're capable of doing STEP. If taking the papers in the summer is absolutely necessary then fine, though it might be a better idea just to practise the papers from now till the end of summer. But if you feel taking the papers themselves would help you, go for it.

STEP I is the easier paper out of STEP I and STEP II, both of which depend purely on the A-level maths spec. STEP III is around the same difficulty as STEP II, only it's on the A-level further maths spec. I wouldn't recommend AEAs at all, I dislike them, but if you think they're worth doing then again, by all means, do them.
Reply 4
Thanks, im going to either manchester or southampton most probably...maths there.. :smile:

I dont think i'll register for the exams (too many exams atm haha)... But does STEP actually help improve my maths? (as in, how is it different from A level maths questions?)

Cheers!
Reply 5
For Warwick you just need to get a 2 grade in any of the STEP papers, you can take as many or as little as you like.

Latest