The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Silvertouch
That sounds like you've got a good amount. I did that amount and I got the highest Eng Lit AQA Score in the country for 2006.

Congratulations.
Reply 21
That is what we are doing aswell.

:smile:

4 poems in one essay is hard though! How can you elaborate on the structure or language? I can easily write a whole paragraph on each poem's language etc. Would it be better just to write one language point for each poem or...? :confused:
westlake
That's not fair!
Our teacher told us only 1 or 2 people would get an A* in our class (despite being a selective grammar) as A* was virtually impossible to get o_O

And then she downgraded all our coursework pieces by about 2 grades =[

Anyway, 9 should be enough =]

I haven't even looked at the poems yet..

xx

well my school's overall pass rate of A*-C was only 24% and all of my class (top set mind) barring two people got A*'s or A's, with the others getting b's , and we had to share an english teacher that year coz ours went abroad somewhere, so we only had english with an english teacher twice a week.....

maybe they just revised at home a lot more tho for that very reason....i didnt think it was that hard to get an A*/ A,i only read the 9 poems in class... seems a bit unfair to downgrade ur coursework tho.
piece_by_piece
We do 4 of each, so 12 in total.

same. :biggrin:
Reply 24
we've not been told to study anything in particular just to revise every poem that we have done in the book, which is basically all Duffy, Armitage and pre 1914!!

Are you positive these poems are coming up in the exam?
You have to write about 4 of them... so yes.
eoghan123
we've not been told to study anything in particular just to revise every poem that we have done in the book, which is basically all Duffy, Armitage and pre 1914!!

Are you positive these poems are coming up in the exam?

Yep, on the last section of the Literature exam. There are certain key poems that can be named in the question but you have to choose other poems to compare it to, so it's good that you have done all the Duffy, Armitage and pre-1914 poems because you'll have more choice in the exam.
We do 4 of each - so 12.
Surely it's better to have the choice and do more, because the thing that needs to be compared might happen to be perfect...for one of the poems you didn't do!
Your lucky doing 12- my teacher wants us to do every single poem and I hate poetry. (even though i got a* in my mock.)
Anyone know of any good english lit revision sites - particularly for the poems?

and/or Of Mice and Men
I shall endorse the Andrew Moore site filled with notes again here :smile:
http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/default.htm
Thank you! You'll get rep tomorrow.
Reply 32
I have to exactly the same but study Of Mice and Men and Duffy,Armitage and the pre 1914 poems.I'm not good at poetry lol.Oh wells
Reply 33
OK

You guys seem to have been told incorrectly.

9 IS NOT enough - you need to knwo at least the 12 key poems as AQA could ask you on any 4 from this 12. If they ask on one poem you don't knwo about, you will not answer appropriately enough therefore lowerign your grade.

The key poems differ depending whether you are doing the higher or foundation tier.

For the Higher (Duffy, Armitage and pre 1914), it is
Stealing (replacing Education for Leisure because of the knife!)
Havisham
Anne Hathaway
Before you were mine

Kid
Homecoming
Hitcher
Mother, Any distance

SONNET 130
On my first sonne
My Last Duchess
The Laboratory

You need to know these as a minimum for your exam.

Someone said that 4 poems in an exam is a lot. You may be right, but your MUST talk about 4 poems for this exam. The examiner will will mark you way down if you only discuss 3. I think you may not get above a D if you do not discuss 4 poems.

There seem to be some very lazy teachers out there.

Trust this advice. I am a teacher and have taught this spec for 4 years now. Don't risk your GCSE by only doing 9 poems.

ps - search on ebay for poetry revision guide - mine is on there and it is brilliant! lol!

Good luck

Latest