The Student Room Group

Another prom dress thread...

I know threads like these get kind of annoying but I've really reached the point where I don't know what to do about my prom dress!
I've looked at pretty much all the threads in the forum and I have found loads of dresses which I like, problem is that I don't think any of them would really suit me.

I'm fairly short (around 5"4) and usually a size 12 but I'm not sure if this will differ in dress sizes.

Ideally I'd like something that cuts just below the knee, nothing shorter, but I'm willing to go longer but due to my height/size I'm wary that it'll look bad on me. I'm also after something with sleeves, short or full, but they're pretty much essential and nothing really low-cut either. I'm not really a fan of kind of 'typical' prom dresses as I'd like to wear it on other occassions as well.

To give you an idea of what I'm after, I absolutely love love love this dress from Monsoon and if I can't find anything else then I'll probably buy this one. However I know how great you guys are on TSR at finding things so I thought I'd consult you first. I know I'm really picky and fussy but I'm finding it extremely difficult to buy a suitable dress. I've never bought/owned a dress before and due to religious observances I'm not happy revealing particular parts of my body so my options are fairly limited!

My budget is £100 and then another £50 for accessories but I'm happy to pay more if I fall in love with a dress.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I will love you forever.

Thanks,
Incandescent
have you got a full length picture of yourself? because nobody can really tell you what would look nice without seeing your figure.

btw, 5"4 + heels = not short at all.
Incandescent
I know threads like these get kind of annoying but I've really reached the point where I don't know what to do about my prom dress!
I've looked at pretty much all the threads in the forum and I have found loads of dresses which I like, problem is that I don't think any of them would really suit me.

I'm fairly short (around 5"4) and usually a size 12 but I'm not sure if this will differ in dress sizes.

Ideally I'd like something that cuts just below the knee, nothing shorter, but I'm willing to go longer but due to my height/size I'm wary that it'll look bad on me. I'm also after something with sleeves, short or full, but they're pretty much essential and nothing really low-cut either. I'm not really a fan of kind of 'typical' prom dresses as I'd like to wear it on other occassions as well.

To give you an idea of what I'm after, I absolutely love love love this dress from Monsoon and if I can't find anything else then I'll probably buy this one. However I know how great you guys are on TSR at finding things so I thought I'd consult you first. I know I'm really picky and fussy but I'm finding it extremely difficult to buy a suitable dress. I've never bought/owned a dress before and due to religious observances I'm not happy revealing particular parts of my body so my options are fairly limited!

My budget is £100 and then another £50 for accessories but I'm happy to pay more if I fall in love with a dress.

Thanks,
Incandescent

Hey, I love love love that dress- I saw it in the shop and it's so chic, I would've bought it but I have enough black dresses already!!
I completely understand your restrictions :smile: However, instead of a dress with sleeves, would a coverup or shrug be a suitable option as well? If so, it'd mean you have a much wider choice to choose from as most occasionwear dresses are sleeveless.

On the other hand I did have a nosy around and found some which are nice! :smile:
I would try this website:
http://www.mon-cheri.co.uk/moncherievening.htm

Take a look at dress 18822 especially, I really like it pesonally. Dresses 18819 and 18820 also come with matching bolero type jackets so have a look at those too :smile:

Coast also have some too: here, here and here. I'm not too sure what sort of dress you'd like so I've posted a variety :smile: There's even one in the sale on the Coast website, this one, but you might bake as it's made of wool. lol.

Fiiinally Karen Millen has some, but they may be out of your budget- but it's worth having a look anyway at this, this and this.

Oh and Next actually: http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/goingout/6/4

Lol, I'll shut up now. My personal fave is the first one I mentioned :smile:
Hope this helps though, good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thank you so so much. I love pretty much all the dresses and I'm going to head down to the shops tomorrow to try the different ones on.
Thanks again - I am one very happy bunny right now :biggrin:
Incandescent
Thank you so so much. I love pretty much all the dresses and I'm going to head down to the shops tomorrow to try the different ones on.
Thanks again - I am one very happy bunny right now :biggrin:

Awww yey :biggrin:
Glad i could help!!
Reply 6
Incandescent

Thanks,
Incandescent

im the same size, and I just wanted to ask if you've tried on that monsoon dress because I reckon it might look a bit "matronly" and "old" on someone my age/shape...

Latest