The Student Room Group

Help- looking for studies to do with courswork.

Eurgh.
With one week left before Easter break is over, I thought it'd be best if I could get my psychology coursework (OCR) over and done with. The problem is, I am findng it really difficult to find my relevant studies on the internet. Totally forgot to rent some books from the library. Plus, I just realised I have also misplaced my library card somewhere. Very smart, I know.

Anyways, I was wondeing if someone here can help me find the following studies ... (I only want brief info. so any help would be good)
- Pavio study on "reading things aloud help memory process"
- Yerkes arousal curve (?)
- Craik and Lockhart "model of memory"

...Merci beacoup.
Here's the Model of Memory derived by Craik and Lockhart

http://facstaff.gpc.edu/~bbrown/psyc1501/memory/memoryoverview.jpg
Reply 2
^ Thanks man. (=

..now to summarise this. eww.
Reply 3
You're best using scientific journal searchers or google-scholar to you don't get all the usual tripe that google can throw up.

There's a list of them here: http://www.psychblog.co.uk/coursework-inspiration/finding-a-study-that-fits
absolutely no idea if theres anything on what your looking for but Holah website is quite useful for studies...:smile:
Reply 5
..still finding difficulties looking for Yekes-Dodson arousal curve =(
anyone?
www.gradeguru.co.uk has quite a lot of stuff by other students on memory. They might have some summaries? Dunno? (I am an English student just taking some psych classes so struggling a bit myself!)
Reply 7
hey guys
i have a question and it will be very helpfull if somone can answer how can i get the clip of loftus the broken headlight

Reply 8
i did my most recent lab report based on craik & lockhart's levels of processing model and paivio's dual route theory/the picture superiority effect. here is my introduction, it might help you. please don't copy it.

Craik & Lockhart (1972) proposed that memory happens as a result of processing information and that the main factor in memory is depth of processing. Shallow levels of processing are structural (visual) processing and phonemic processing. Semantic processing is the deepest level of processing, which is most likely to form a long-term memory trace.
Craik & Tulving (1975) tested this theory with a study which required participants to answer questions about lists of words. The questions were structural (e.g. “is the word in capital letters?&#8221:wink:, phonemic (e.g. “does the word rhyme with plate?&#8221:wink:, category (e.g. “is the word a type of fish?&#8221:wink: or “does the word fit in the sentence?”. Recognition was highest in the words attached to category and sentence questions (both use semantic encoding), and lowest in the words with structural and phonemic questions.
Form change cost is the cost to memory of a learned stimulus when it is presented in a different form in the retrieval phase (e.g. word-picture or picture-word): this has been demonstrated empirically (Mintzer and Snodgrass, 1999; Sternberg et al., 1995; Weldon and Roediger, 1987). In the present experiment all the stimuli in the retrieval stage are words, which might reduce the recognition rate of picture stimuli.
Paivio (1971), Paivio & Csapo (1973) and Brown (2007) showed that memory for pictures is far better than memory for words (the picture superiority effect). Paivio and Csapo (1973) state that the picture superiority effect is a result of superior encoding of non-verbal imagery compared to words, and dual coding favouring pictures. Dual coding theory (Paivio, 1986) suggests that pictures and words are processed differently and coded in different channels in memory. Pictures are “imagens” and are used directly in non-verbal processes, while words are “logogens” and are used directly in verbal processes. Pictures are more likely to activate both verbal and non-verbal systems, as shown by Snodgrass, Wasser, Finkelstein and Goldberg, (1974): imagens are more likely to activate their corresponding logogen than logogens are to activate their corresponding imagen.
Nelson (1979) argued that images are more likely to be remembered than words due to their more unique sensory code: images are less similar to other images, whereas words (as strings of letters) are visually similar to each other. Nelson, Reed and Walling (1976) supported this theory by showing that the picture superiority effect is less marked in memory of pictures that are visually similar to each other. This provides support for the distinctiveness theory of the picture superiority effect, but it doesn’t mean that dual coding doesn’t exist in addition.
This experiment has 4 categories: SP, VP, SW, VW. Part 1 presents 20 words and 20 pictures to participants in part 1 of the experiment. Half of these have semantic questions and half have visual questions (designed to create processing on a purely structural level).
It is predicted that a) the stimuli linked to semantic questions will have a higher recognition rate than the stimuli linked to questions about the surface/structural properties of the stimulus. Semantic processing is deeper: visual questions can be answered in a glance.
It is also predicted that b) stimuli presented as pictures in part 1 of the experiment will have higher recognition rates in part 2 (due to dual coding and distinctiveness).
Thus, c) the category of items that have the highest recognition rate is predicted to be SP, and the category with the lowest recognition rate is predicted to be VW.
It is difficult to predict whether type of encoding or type of stimulus has the greatest effect on recognition rate; this decides the rank order of recognition rates of SW and VP. According to Craik & Tulving (1975), shallow processing (visual and phonemic) only requires maintenance rehearsal, whereas deep processing (semantic) requires elaboration rehearsal, which means the item is linked with previous knowledge about images and associations of the item. This should mean that within the category of semantic processing, there will be a less marked difference between word and picture stimuli than within the category of visual processing.

Latest

Trending

Trending