The Student Room Group

Canadian Applying To UK University- Help?

Hi guys, i was wondering if i could get a little help here... sorry i dont know that much about the system, as you can see im from canada.
My grades are

Calculus- 82%
Functions- 88%
English- 94%
History- 96%
Economics- 95%
Religion- 97%
Average = 92%
And i play 6 sports, and would play for oxfords ice hockey team if i got in, im not sure if its like the states where they would help you get in if you play for them?
I wanted to apply to Economics at Oxford and LSE, someone told me if i apply to oxford i cant apply to cambridge?
I'm sort of curious about whether you think i'll get in (or if you think theres another program of some respect i could get into)... Thanks in advance:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I expect that your grades will mean nothing to most of. If you're clever you should do well at the interview and would stand a good chance.
Reply 2
Wow canada , I couldn't tell you as I don't know what standard the Candian grades = in england, but 92% avergae can't be bad.
Reply 3
You are correct that you can only apply to either Cambridge or Oxford.

You should look at the entry requirements for Economics at Oxford and LSE on their website. If they don't list your Canadian qualifications on their site (which they probably won't), then there will be an email address of a person you can contact. Explain to them what the entry requirements are for a person studying your qualifications.

Nobody on here can tell you whether you'll get in or not - we would just be guessing, which would be pretty pointless. Ask an admissions tutor, who will be able to give you a much more useful answer than any of us.
Canuck11
And i play 6 sports, and would play for oxfords ice hockey team if i got in, im not sure if its like the states where they would help you get in if you play for them?
I wanted to apply to Economics at Oxford and LSE, someone told me if i apply to oxford i cant apply to cambridge?
I'm sort of curious about whether you think i'll get in (or if you think theres another program of some respect i could get into)... Thanks in advance:smile:

Oh in regard to your school grades i got the following from the site

Oxford
At least 85% in OSSDs from Ontario, or equivalent grades from other provinces

So I think you should be fine in regards to that. I also don't think that you know that Oxford does not do economics on its own and you have to combine it with another subject like managment or do a Politics philosophy and economics.

Unis also look at your personal statement which is mainly academic and how you would benefit from studying for a specific degree. It is probably the most important part of your application (especially for LSE). The fact that you did sports may show that you are an interesting person however unlike America where the more sport you do the better your chances it isn't like that here epecially if it isn't really related to your degree.

you may however put that you took part in some maths competition or you are a member of a debating club or you did some work experience and how it relates to economics

Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 5
Also, in the interview you (if you do get to that stage) you must express your passion for the subject that you want to study at that university, for example at Oxford University. It was very likely that you will be either interviewed in Canada. However, if there are no interviewers in Canada, then you will be interviewed by webcam. You may be tested and you will be asked questions based what you have written in your personal statement and the like. Also, they may give you a piece of information and tell you to analyze it. Then, they may ask questions based on that piece of information and you will need to explain them.
lol... no, academic ability is far far more important than sports to Oxbridge (apart from rowing maybe :wink:)

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems like the states have quite an unfair admissions process (where money is an important factor, family donations to the uni, sport ability highly valued.) But maybe I just got this impression from watching too much TV?

Anyway, you seem smart enough. But Oxbridge is very very competitive. Not even the best of the best can be confident they will get a place.

Good luck though :smile:
Reply 7
In response to the comment about the economics degree, i am aware i just don't know which one. Thankyou for all of your help, and wow is the interview system that intense? like they'll be asking me academic questions and so forth. I have also heard frmo people that i could undergo 6 interviews in one week.
Canuck11
In response to the comment about the economics degree, i am aware i just don't know which one. Thankyou for all of your help, and wow is the interview system that intense? like they'll be asking me academic questions and so forth. I have also heard frmo people that i could undergo 6 interviews in one week.

From what I have heard they are pretty intense.. you need to read up on the "tricks" of ticking the right boxes at interview.
They sell books about it I think...

But basically, they want to see you are able to take constructive criticism and cope well with their tutoring style of teaching.

And yes.. you can have multiple interviews. Not sure how many though.
Reply 9
Yes, interviews are 'intense' but really it is a conversation and it'll take about 20 minutes. It will be informal and quite friendly. (This is all about Oxbridge). You will get 2 interviews from Oxbridge, that's all. You get more from other unviersities but I believe that will not occur, as Oxbridge has the most in-depth admissions process in the UK, as they want to make sure that they are choosing the right students. It is very, VERY, competitive, and you must impress in the interview.
Reply 10
Thankyou all for all your help once again, and so is it sort of like your grades get you into the interview and then thats where they make the decisions or..? sorry if im misinterpreting this wrong.
Reply 11
Your grades are what gets your foot in the door. But, your personal statement plays a big part in that too. Some people who have the highest grades at A-level (which is practically everyone who applies to Oxbridge) don't even get through to the interview.
Reply 12
Is this process similiar to the LSE one or...?
Reply 13
I don't know. It will not be so thorough, I believe. I have heard they put a lot more emphasis in what you have in terms of grades, and they may care more about relevant work experience placements.
Reply 14
Thankyou for all of your time and help everyone
Reply 15
Canuck11
im from canada.

To be brutally honest, you are going to have a hell of a hard time trying to get in with Canadian grades.

UK universities don't consider Canadian grades as the equivalent to the UK qualifications. They consider Canadian students are one year behind. That's why in Canada we have 4 year university degrees and in the UK they have 3 year degrees. We need to make up for a year. (Think of Cegep in Quebec.)

Also Economics at Oxford and LSE is possible one of the most competitive courses to apply for. English students with AAA (the best grades possible and bear in mind they’re supposed to be ‘a year ahead of Canadians’) get rejected frequently.

I’m not trying to discourage you, I think it’s fantastic that you’re looking into this now. You’re in 11th Grade, right?
However, I’m speaking with a lot of experience I’m Canadian and have an offer from Cambridge.
One of my best friends applied for PPE at Oxford and Politics at LSE, he was rejected, despite being in IB and lots of impressive political experience.

Canuck11
Average = 92%

I have a friend who was offered a place at St. Andrews with an average close to yours. (95%) Although that said, he applied for a less competitive course.

Canuck11

someone told me if i apply to oxford i cant apply to Cambridge?

Yes, you can only make one Oxbridge application, you have to choose between the two. (Go for Cambridge! Not only because I’m biased they apparently have an easier system.)

My advice, if you really want to have a chance at either of these courses, (ask yourself first if you’re willing to put a lot of hard work into catching up with the UK system) is the following:

AP is the American equivalent to IB or A levels. You would need 5 AP exams for an English university. To get the qualification, you just need to pass the AP exam. For example, you could do the AP Functions, Economics, English, History and Religion exams. Quite a few schools in Canada do AP. You can find a local school and ask them if you can sit the exam there (towards May in Grade 12). You would need to study a bit (a lot :smile:) outside of school to make up for what you don’t cover with the Ontario (or your province) diploma.

Ok, so you don’t feel like going that route

At least make sure your personal statement is excellent. We Canadians are not geared up to the competitive UK system. Consider your applications as the equivalent of applying to Trinity College at UofT... only a lot harder.

You also have to apply early, your application has to be sent at the beginning of September in Grade 12,.

You've probably already done this but check out http://www.ucas.ac.uk/. It's like OUAC.

But most of all good luck!
your maths grades might be a bit of a problem, as they are lower than your less relevant subjects.
UK universities don't consider Canadian grades as the equivalent to the UK qualifications. They consider Canadian students are one year behind. That's why in Canada we have 4 year university degrees and in the UK they have 3 year degrees. We need to make up for a year. (Think of Cegep in Quebec.)
really? i was under the impression that canada had a good education system, or at least performs well on internationally comparative tests of educational achievement.
Reply 17
bethabetta

AP is the American equivalent to IB or A levels. You would need 5 AP exams for an English university. To get the qualification, you just need to pass the AP exam. For example, you could do the AP Functions, Economics, English, History and Religion exams.
You also have to apply early, your application has to be sent at the beginning of September in Grade 12,.

Ummm, no...If he was going to do AP exams he should actually be doing APs in Maths, Calculus etc. not English History and Religion. Cambridge and LSE especially are real sluts for strong maths qualifications and Oxford certainly appreciate it for their E&M course too, so taking soft humanities APs would be quite a waste of time actually.
Reply 18
You won't need to attend any interviews for you LSE application since you're an international student.
Reply 19
Ok, since when I'm a girl....

Latest

Trending

Trending