The Student Room Group

Psychology degree

I want to do a psychology degree at University (Nottingham), and am doing my AS levels now..
But, reading on here, and my friends at school.. everyone seems to be dead against it, calling it an "ology" in a derogative tone, and implying it's not useful..
If I'd have known that last year then I'd have listened more in Physics and Chemistry, so I could have gone into medicine or something, but my AS levels are now Biology, English lit, Religion and Sociology
(also friends said sociology was a doss subject, and one guy said biology wasn't a real science!!!)..

What are your opinions on it? I wanted to become a psychologist, but I've read strong opinions about it on here, where people have stated that it's useless, a mickey mouse degree, and for people who're looking for an easy 3 years.. Nooooo! The generalisations! I don't want people to assume things like that about me!
If I didn't do psychology then I'm interested in politics, but it's more of a hobby so I don't think I'd like studying it..

(If anyone wants to disregard psychology as a mickey mouse degree then do they have any suggestions for an alternative one? My GCSEs were English Literature-A*, English Language-A*, Religion-A*, Maths-A, History-A, Product Design-A, Duel award Science-AA, PE-A and French-B, and I'm interested in subjects that I can understand..therefore got better grades in!)
Reply 1
You're mates are fools. Psychology is great. How can it be a mickey mouse degree? It's the only way to become a psychologist.
Go for it. Do what you want to do and don't let anyones opinions get in the way.. because that's all they are.. opinions. I'm applying for Psychology this year. Go for a BSc instead of the BA in it, then it will be more sciency. It's a great subject.
Reply 3
I'm applying for 2005 entry. I need to get my form off soon! BSc and BAs are actually no different in content, the only difference is the faculty of registration.
AATTMM
I'm applying for 2005 entry. I need to get my form off soon! BSc and BAs are actually no different in content, the only difference is the faculty of registration.

Oh.. i'd thought the BA would be more social as some uni's do both BA and BSc.. weird. =P
Reply 5
This is encouraging...thanks! :smile:
I will look into Bsc rather than BA, as "sciency" sounds more likely to be able to lead on to clinical psychology..but then you may be able to do that with BA too, i'm not sure!
What's the difference in the registration for the two?

edit: oh and i have ages!! i'd be applying for either 2006 or 2007 entry, depending on if I take a gap year or not..
To be a Psychologist you need a course which is accredited by the BPS.
Reply 7
The Nottingham one is
Reply 8
psychology is a great couse im hoping to do a degree in it in 2005! nottingham is a great university espically for psychology. the degree is quite science based thats why im not applying there but it sounds good for you. also if u like biology u cud think of doing psychology with neuroscience or something similar!
becca__boo
u cud think of doing psychology with neuroscience or something similar!

That's what i'm doing! :smile: well i have a place offered at Keele on the condition i get BCC, so i'm laughing.:tongue: Ignore your mates they ain't gonna be doing the degree so if you wanna do it, go for it!

Latest

Trending

Trending