The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes it is if you have A in Maths at GSCE. The step gets lot bigger if you B or less.:frown:
GCSE - AS is a tiny little mouse-sized step (as long as you were good at GCSE). AS - A2 is pretty big.
Reply 3
Reply 4
C1, C2 are smallish steps. C3 onwards are muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bigger.
Reply 5
Depends really. I find AS level maths easier than GCSE. I got an A in gcse but I'm on a track for a very high A at A level. But I couldn't be bothered in school and didn't put the effort in. If you try your hardest at GCSE an only get an A then I wouldn't be too confident about getting an A at A-level. But I don't kno anything about you. If you're capable of getting an A* at gcse then I see no reason why you shouldn't get an A at A-level.
Reply 6
ummm...do u reckon i should only do further maths if i get an A* i am predicted an A but with revision i migfht get an A*....

wat about further maths ?
i found it a pretty big jump. mainly because i had been doing no work for most of senior shcool and scraped an A in maths. started making an effort and got an A in jan exam though.

for further maths, i would say to see how you find AS maths and then pick it up at A2 as an AS or laterin the year. if that's possible.
i picked up further maths in march after realising i was handling maths pretty well in college and i'm finding fp1 really good(dunno how ill find the later stuff though) and i just scraped that A at gcse!
i think if ou're willing to work, you can do good
rock-star
ummm...do u reckon i should only do further maths if i get an A* i am predicted an A but with revision i migfht get an A*....

wat about further maths ?

You should take Further Maths from the start especially if there is an 'accelerated' course available. You can always drop down to single maths or AS F Maths if things don't work out. You do NOT need an A* in maths, just a bit of enthusiasm and decent ability (nothing special, I certainly am not). An A is good enough.
I got a B in GCSE Maths and a B in Maths A level so it's obviously not that big... :smile:
Reply 10
i would say c1 and c2 and s1 was easier than gcse maths to learn for me but the thing is you have to get more questions correct to get an A you need to get about 80% whereas at gcse it was normally about 60% on a easy paper. it is designed to be easier to score higher marks because you would fail if you got 40% at gcse you would get a high C for that on the higher paper when i took it anyway. If you just do lots of past papers the week before the exam you would probably get an A if you are confident with maths at AS level. I have just started A2 and C3 was virtually the same for me i just did lots of past papers the week before the exam and got 94% but iv been warned if i do that for C4 i wont score anywhere near as high
nah i got B at gcse Maths, and im going to get a B at A level (so far, A in core 1, B core 2, C core 3, B s1)
I've found it quite progressive, there's a slight step up from GCSE to AS, and then another step up from AS to A2. Nothing that isn't manageable with a bit of effort though
Ok, personally I thought C1 was ridiculously easy, like pathetically not even funny easy. I'm doing C2 and S1 currently and they're ever so slightly harder than C1, just a tad bit.

This is coming from a person who missed 3 and half years of high school and the rest of the time that I was there I couldn't concentrate or learn anything as a indirect result of my illness. I have no GCSE's apart from English and Maths. I got a B in Maths with only 1 week of learning and revision because the teacher didn't do anything for the entire year.

A level Maths for me so far is easy (although others would beg to differ), you just need to sit yourself down and read and then do the exercises at home by yourself i.e. individual study. Of course, some do really try and still don't get the marks they deserve.

Anyway, enough blabbering on.
Reply 14
to be honest i may be wrong but if your not good at maths the harder you work to get good so if you have to put like a month into revising gcse maths and you still don't get an A or A* then do not do maths as you will seriously mess it up. I know so many people who took maths after reaching their limit at gcse.
Reply 15
and it didn't turn out too good lol
Yeah, it is a bit of a jump, but not as big as other subjects, say... Physics. It also depends on your exam board though. I do AQA and found it a bit of a jump, but then I know people doing Edexcel and it sounded easier...
Don't listen to whoever it was that was saying you shouldn't do it if you tried hard and still only got an A. I got an A for GCSE Maths and a very high A for AS maths too.

GCSE -> AS is barely a difference. To be honest I almost thought C1 was easier. However AS -> A2 is quite a big gap. I'd suggest taking AS maths in addition to at least 3 other subjects and then drop it if you find it difficult then, not now.
Reply 18
I'm finding it rather difficult but I cant explain why, I did get a fairly high A (was 65 for an A, I got 77, was 84 for A*). A lot of people in my class got a B at gcse and did much better than i did in C1. But luckily I'm in the minority so you should be fine.
I dare say C1 was easier than intermediate GCSE maths.

Latest