The Student Room Group

Just firmed - what a long fight

I missed the ucas deadline in January and applied middle February. I only applied to two univerisities as I am looking for a transfer. One asked for 65% and the other at first said they aren't so sure about whether they could grant a transfer. They even said I had to get my tutor at uni to write me a reference but I ignored this as I didn't want my current uni finding out. So I used last year's reference (a bit modified thanks to my form tutor). I sent my application off with a covering letter, got an interview (group interview), wrote a test and got an offer.

They are asking me for an average 60%. I want to go this uni, I actually got an offer from them last year but rejected them and so I did the whole process again at the univeristy and got an offer. I got the offer about 3 weeks back. The best thing is that they are offering me a place for 2nd year entry . So I chose them today and rejected the other uni.

I am quite proud that I applied so late as I only realized that I could transfer so late on, went through so much hassle and got an offer for 2nd year. My question is, as I have rejected one uni and picked another, will this show my dedication to going to the firmed uni as they are my only choice. May they be lenient as I am not so sure I can get 60%?.

Also say at uni you fail a module, because I have to pass coursework and exam separately to get an overall pass in all my modules, if I failed the exam side and got the coursework pass though, would the marks from that coursework in that module still count towards my overall average %??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First, is there a reason why you missed the UCAS deadline? I don't get your point about not wanting your current university to find out. Why is this? They will want to know what your plans are, it's not as if they are going to think a missing student is normal.

No it will not show dedication. I don't think universities even know how many and which universities a student applies for. As for being lenient, is there any particular reason for why they have to be? They are not going to lower entry requirement just because you can't acheive it for no good reason.

If the coursework counts towards your final grade, then yes it would contribute to your final mark.
Imported
As for being lenient, is there any particular reason for why they have to be? They are not going to lower entry requirement just because you can't acheive it for no good reason.

Exactly. You've completed a year of studies at a university you don't want to be at, granted, however you should be able to put that behind you and focus on getting decent marks to transfer. Ask yourself this: if you can't get 60%, is this truly the course you want to be/are capable of studying?
Reply 3
Imported
First, is there a reason why you missed the UCAS deadline? I don't get your point about not wanting your current university to find out. Why is this? They will want to know what your plans are, it's not as if they are going to think a missing student is normal.

No it will not show dedication. I don't think universities even know how many and which universities a student applies for. As for being lenient, is there any particular reason for why they have to be? They are not going to lower entry requirement just because you can't acheive it for no good reason.

If the coursework counts towards your final grade, then yes it would contribute to your final mark.

erm maybe because at first they said they don't do transfers and then told me they would.

Yes they should lower it for **** sake as my current uni is ****e and 99% of students there agree with this fact.
Reply 4
Captain Biggles
Exactly. You've completed a year of studies at a university you don't want to be at, granted, however you should be able to put that behind you and focus on getting decent marks to transfer. Ask yourself this: if you can't get 60%, is this truly the course you want to be/are capable of studying?

no I wont ask myself that question as I know how hard I work and how I have been ****ed around by **** teaching.
Reply 5
joan_mumby
erm maybe because at first they said they don't do transfers and then told me they would.

Yes they should lower it for **** sake as my current uni is ****e and 99% of students there agree with this fact.

Well i hope they don't lower the requirement for you. If you can't grasp what i've said above, then it looks like you need all the help you can get to reach 60%.
I can't see them lowering the offer below 60%. After all, they'd be taking in a student who is proving that she is not on track for an upper second and that is not going to help their performance figures, is it? These days you don't want to be coming away with a lower second from your degree. It won't have helped your case, in the event you do not meet the offer (nor will it have escaped notice), that your referee is not your current tutor as they requested.
Reply 7
Good bloke
I can't see them lowering the offer below 60%. After all, they'd be taking in a student who is proving that she is not on track for an upper second and that is not going to help their performance figures, is it? These days you don't want to be coming away with a lower second from your degree. It won't have helped your case, in the event you do not meet the offer (nor will it have escaped notice), that your referee is not your current tutor as they requested.

well sorry to disappoint you but for my degree, the degree class doesn't matter:p: as theres no unemployment. The fact they considered me although I didnt get my referee to write for me proves this:biggrin:
Well, I hope your confidence proves justified, though I won't be disappointed one way or the other. I don't think the offer proves anything, other than that they made it. What subject is it?
Well done for getting an offer, because you do seem to have gone through a lot of hassle for it, but I'm not quite sure why you've posted. You asked people if they thought the university would lower their requirements for you, people's gut reaction is no, and you argue back! If you didn't want their opinion, why bother asking for it?

That said, good luck with achieving the 60%, you really don't seem to like your current university, so I really hope you get into where you want to go :smile:
Reply 10
What sunburnt_note said. Why argue back if people are just answering your questions?

And what subject is it?
Reply 11
I just felt they were having a go at me for some reason. I always value other opinions. Sorry if I seemed a bit aggressive. I am not saying will they lower it, I am saying if I get 50% what will happen most likely. I swear to god the uni I am at is horrendous, we don't even get past exams and when we do its 2 questions with no mark scheme.
If you get 50% you'll most probably be staying where you are. Is that incentive enough to work hard for the exams?
Reply 13
joan_mumby
I just felt they were having a go at me for some reason. I always value other opinions. Sorry if I seemed a bit aggressive. I am not saying will they lower it, I am saying if I get 50% what will happen most likely. I swear to god the uni I am at is horrendous, we don't even get past exams and when we do its 2 questions with no mark scheme.

I don't see how i was having a go at you in my first post. I was answering your query, that's all.

Universities have an entry requirement for a reason, if you cannot meet it then it's unlikely you'll get in. If they want 60% from you, then work hard to get it. The only possibility for lowering it would be under exceptional circumstances.
Reply 14
may i ask what uni you go to?
what course is this???
Imported
I don't see how i was having a go at you in my first post. I was answering your query, that's all.

Universities have an entry requirement for a reason, if you cannot meet it then it's unlikely you'll get in. If they want 60% from you, then work hard to get it. The only possibility for lowering it would be under exceptional circumstances.

Not really i have many examples of where peoples offers where AAA but got accepeted with ABB or where their offer was BBB and got excepted with CCC at top unis like nottingham and imperial, so it's not under exceptional circumstandces at all, if the OP has applied to a middle university they usually are quite flexible and shouldn't really have a problem getting in. many universities allow students who have missed to still join. only time they dont is if it is very popular such as economics at LSE
Reply 17
helloeverybody
Not really i have many examples of where peoples offers where AAA but got accepeted with ABB or where their offer was BBB and got excepted with CCC at top unis like nottingham and imperial, so it's not under exceptional circumstandces at all, if the OP has applied to a middle university they usually are quite flexible and shouldn't really have a problem getting in. many universities allow students who have missed to still join. only time they dont is if it is very popular such as economics at LSE

But entry requirements are usually not lowerd, that is what the op wanted to know.
Imported
But entry requirements are usually not lowerd, that is what the op wanted to know.

Yh but entry requirements are usually lowered
Imported

Hey already has a place and needs 60% and he thinks he may not get 60 but instead 50% and im pretty sure he will get in, its obviously not a super university as it is only 60 so he should be fine

Latest

Trending

Trending