The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had to go there to hand in supervision work in Mich term. I got really annoyed - it's on this silly one-way system of roads where drivers speed up it at 40mph and get pissed off at cyclists.

But I do know it exists!
Walking is alot easier :p: From Robinson you would have to go up Queens Rd and around :s-smilie: So yeh.. walking ftw :biggrin:
Hi... I should be doing the Double-Maitrise, and seeing as I applied the "french way", I can't apply to a College, we're just randomly allocated, depending on where there is space or not.
If some colleges were less good than others, they wouldn't be able to just "allocate us" randomly

But some colleges are considered better than others because of where they are : one (Gurton i think or something along those lines) is three miles from cambridge city center... so that might be less attractive
Reply 43
thegluups

If some colleges were less good than others, they wouldn't be able to just "allocate us" randomly

i don't see the logic.

anyway, some colleges ARE worse than others.
Chewwy
i don't see the logic.

anyway, some colleges ARE worse than others.

well. seeing as it's completely random, they couldn't allocate certain candidates to worse colleges (academically speaking), without giving them the opportunity to apply to a college in particular
Reply 45
thegluups
well. seeing as it's completely random, they couldn't allocate certain candidates to worse colleges (academically speaking), without giving them the opportunity to apply to a college in particular

Playing devil's advocate here: why wouldn't they? It's far less hassle to just allocate candidates to colleges that still have places available, than to put them through a separate application process (at the end of which they could still only end up at colleges that actually had places available).:wink:
Reply 46
I'm a non-mature student stuck at a mature students college - my college doesn't matter at all to me. My main group of friends are from St Johns and none of them care less what college I go to. If my college was out of town it would have been a different story - but if you're out of town and living with people your own age it will be fine. I just joined societies etc so I could go on swaps. And yes, I know where St Edmunds is! However, if you're close to the age of 21, you will probably want to get out of St Eds a bit to make friends. (That isn't the college I am at, btw)
bethy_uk
I'm a non-mature student stuck at a mature students college - my college doesn't matter at all to me. My main group of friends are from St Johns and none of them care less what college I go to. If my college was out of town it would have been a different story - but if you're out of town and living with people your own age it will be fine. I just joined societies etc so I could go on swaps. And yes, I know where St Edmunds is! However, if you're close to the age of 21, you will probably want to get out of St Eds a bit to make friends. (That isn't the college I am at, btw)

I didn't realise that was possible. Do you mean you're not a mature student by conventional terms, or do you mean you weren't 21 at the start of your course (Oxbridge terms)
Reply 48
I wasn't 21 at the start of my course. I'm 21 now, but I still find mature student colleges are more suited to say, over 25's. In fact, I think the policy used to be that to be classed as a mature student you had to be 25.
bethy_uk
I wasn't 21 at the start of my course. I'm 21 now, but I still find mature student colleges are more suited to say, over 25's. In fact, I think the policy used to be that to be classed as a mature student you had to be 25.

No, 25 is just the policy adopted by non-Oxbridge students and any official measures like student finance. I don't think 21 for Oxbridge is a new thing. Yes mature student colleges are doubtless nicer if you're 25+. I just meant I was surprised they'd taken you if you weren't 21 at the start.
Reply 50
No, the policy definately used to be 24/25 at Oxbridge until a few years ago. My DoS told me, because she said that she herself has recommmended they change it back to 25, after seeing the experience I had had :P

Yeah, I'm surprised they took me too, but I had a bit of a weird application i.e. I didn't have a UCAS form and I applied in March.
bethy_uk
No, the policy definately used to be 24/25 at Oxbridge until a few years ago. My DoS told me, because she said that she herself has recommmended they change it back to 25, after seeing the experience I had had :P

Ok, I see.
bethy_uk

Yeah, I'm surprised they took me too, but I had a bit of a weird application i.e. I didn't have a UCAS form and I applied in March.

Right
thegluups

The quality of the teaching is going to be almost identical, since most lecturing and much supervision is done out of college. However, some colleges do have superior resources (e.g. more fellows in a given subject, a better library, research grants, etc.).

Other things, such as the leisure facilities, and the amount of financial support, and rents/food prices differ massively from college to college. Don't rely to much on what 'they' could or could not do. Cambridge is an old institution, and opportunities have not necessarily been coordinated so that they're the same for everyone.

As I said, though, academically the differences are minor, especially compared to the differences between Cambridge as a whole, and other universities. Essentially, the differences between colleges are dwarfed by the difference made by a good student and a bad one.

Latest

Trending

Trending