The Student Room Group

Criminology Society Official Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cheers both of you! Will have a look out for that, might see if I can find it on Amazon or something, though I don't mind paying £30 if i end up using it for a few years!
DancinBallerina
Yes, I 2nd that opinion in regards to the Tim Newburn book.

I have the book and I have to say its a very good book in comparison to books I have borrowed from the library at Uni. Its also very up to date (2007) and easy to understand. Cost me £30 from Waterstones however, its worth it - after all you'll be using it for the entire 3yrs of your degree!!

Yep. My problem with it is that, whilst it is up to date, there were sources within the book that I wanted updates on. I've had to ask a PhD student for recommedned journals and other sources to get any updates. Having the most up to date information is really critical for me.

There are other books that I have come across on Amazon which I have ordered from the British Library through my local library. If they weren't that expensive I wouldn't hesistate ordering them. Plus, I don't want too much luggage to take with me. If Durham doesn't stock it, I could get it when I'm there.
Reply 22
NDGAARONDI
Yep. My problem with it is that, whilst it is up to date, there were sources within the book that I wanted updates on. I've had to ask a PhD student for recommedned journals and other sources to get any updates. Having the most up to date information is really critical for me.

There are other books that I have come across on Amazon which I have ordered from the British Library through my local library. If they weren't that expensive I wouldn't hesistate ordering them. Plus, I don't want too much luggage to take with me. If Durham doesn't stock it, I could get it when I'm there.

I think that'd be the case with most books though, as someone said before, things such as the criminal justice part keeps on changing. I guess that's the price we'll have to pay for being interested in the subject!
LouLou815
I think that'd be the case with most books though, as someone said before, things such as the criminal justice part keeps on changing. I guess that's the price we'll have to pay for being interested in the subject!

But there will always be ways of trying to get updates from non-book materials, it's just a question of finding them. Having the most update information could make all the difference in an essay question. For example, the PhD student I'm emailing, is writing a thesis on the impacts of the 2003 Licensing Act. With this article I came across in the textbook, the data for violent crime and criminal damage ranges from October 2004 to March 2006, just four months after the introduction of the Act. This book was published in 2007 and I hoped for a bit more of an update than that!
Reply 24
NDGAARONDI
But there will always be ways of trying to get updates from non-book materials, it's just a question of finding them. Having the most update information could make all the difference in an essay question. For example, the PhD student I'm emailing, is writing a thesis on the impacts of the 2003 Licensing Act. With this article I came across in the textbook, the data for violent crime and criminal damage ranges from October 2004 to March 2006, just four months after the introduction of the Act. This book was published in 2007 and I hoped for a bit more of an update than that!

Hmm guess thats true! I think I need to start looking into alternative ways of getting up to date sources, instead of doing it when I finally start the course and panicking when I have to find these things. Emailing the PhD students is a good idea though I think!
ooooh if this is the same book that i have, try this website!! £22!! http://www.yougobooks.com/BookItem.aspx?item=9781843922841
Reply 26
Hammers_Gal
ooooh if this is the same book that i have, try this website!! £22!! http://www.yougobooks.com/BookItem.aspx?item=9781843922841

Ohhhh you ledge!!TA! :biggrin:
LouLou815
Hmm guess thats true! I think I need to start looking into alternative ways of getting up to date sources, instead of doing it when I finally start the course and panicking when I have to find these things. Emailing the PhD students is a good idea though I think!

That's why I'm having a month, or more, off from work before I go to university. :biggrin:
Reply 28
NDGAARONDI
That's why I'm having a month, or more, off from work before I go to university. :biggrin:

Haha! Thats pretty much exactly what i'm doing. Leaving in june/july so I get a few months off to a)enjoy myself and b)read up more o what i'm studying!
Reply 29
Even though the new information is obviously really important, you will still find that you need to use older sources. Even though I am writing my dissertation on recent legislation, I am having to look at references that go back to the 1960s and 1970s in order to make a historical comparison. So don't think that everything you will be reading will be new data, especially for the sociology part of the course, as many of the theories are very old. You will find that criminological theory goes back a long, long way :p:

I had a look at the Newburn book, looks good as an introduction. If you want something a bit more comprehensive then try looking for the Oxford Handbook of Criminology by Maguire, Morgan and Reiner. I have used the book in every year of my course.

If its journals you are after then give me a shout, there are plenty I can point you in the direction of!
Reply 30
Mackem85
Even though the new information is obviously really important, you will still find that you need to use older sources. Even though I am writing my dissertation on recent legislation, I am having to look at references that go back to the 1960s and 1970s in order to make a historical comparison. So don't think that everything you will be reading will be new data, especially for the sociology part of the course, as many of the theories are very old. You will find that criminological theory goes back a long, long way :p:

I had a look at the Newburn book, looks good as an introduction. If you want something a bit more comprehensive then try looking for the Oxford Handbook of Criminology by Maguire, Morgan and Reiner. I have used the book in every year of my course.

If its journals you are after then give me a shout, there are plenty I can point you in the direction of!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! :smile: Are you enjoying the course?
Reply 31
LouLou815
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! :smile: Are you enjoying the course?

I love my course. I dont want to leave! Finishing off my dissertation at the moment (which has been a rollercoaster of ups and downs, as you will find out one day :biggrin: )
Mackem85
I love my course. I dont want to leave! Finishing off my dissertation at the moment (which has been a rollercoaster of ups and downs, as you will find out one day :biggrin: )

Mind me asking what are you doing your Dissertation?
Reply 33
DancinBallerina
Mind me asking what are you doing your Dissertation?

Of course not, I am looking at ASBOs and the negative affects that they can have on young people who are given them
Ooooo sounds like a good topic.

Already been thinkin about mine although im just nearing the end of my first year! lol
Reply 35
DancinBallerina
Ooooo sounds like a good topic.

Already been thinkin about mine although im just nearing the end of my first year! lol

Its a good idea to start thinking early. Just make sure that you chose a topic you are going to find interesting, because it is a year-long piece of work (supposedly :wink: ) and if you have no interest in it, you will find it boring and it will take a lot of motivation to get it done.
Reply 36
Mackem85

Glad you're enjoying it. People i've spoken to who are on this course all seem to be enjoying it, which makes me even more optimistic!
And your dissertation sounds interesting-hope it's going well!

Don't you think we should have like a Criminology group or something going? Clearly there is huge love for this course and subject :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Will definately benefit those who are currently doing the degree, but also interest those further who are considering it? ? ?

What do you think?
Reply 38
DancinBallerina
Don't you think we should have like a Criminology group or something going? Clearly there is huge love for this course and subject :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Will definately benefit those who are currently doing the degree, but also interest those further who are considering it? ? ?

What do you think?

I think that's a good idea actually. It'll be useful for those studying/wanting to study the course and there's nothing like that already on here (that I can find, anyway!)
LouLou815
I think that's a good idea actually. It'll be useful for those studying/wanting to study the course and there's nothing like that already on here (that I can find, anyway!)

No, there isn't anything on here at all in regards to Criminology apart from the threads people start, like yourself enquiring about the course.

Definately needs looking into I reckon. I don't know about anyone else, but I learn from others and visual, and I feel if people were to post threads on interesting matters in regards to Criminology, it would greatly benefit me with my learning and many others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending