The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Russia defends the right to the seal cull, both for economic reasons, and to control the population.
I would like to ask Russia to expand on this remark and ask how it can justify killing something for its skin
Japan seconds Russia's opinion.
Although Afghanistan has not experienced seals in such massive quantity as makes it a necessity to cull them, we feel that the effective population control is of an up most importance in the surrounding regions.
Reply 5
The UK has no moral problem with culling wildlife for sensible population control.

(And incidentally, baby seals are no more or less 'innocent' than the cows, chickens and pigs we slaughter in their millions every day for food. But they're probably less tasty...)
The UNEP feels that we must realise that we are one of many mammal speciaes, and cannot presume to take contrall. Why is the controll of the species numbers a problem?
there is a great amount of land up there that they can inhabit, and cannot see why Russia would see a problem with them in inhabitting the upper most region of its borderes.

If the general oppinion (which i much say i outright disagree with) is to aggree and support the culling of baby seals, then i ask that we make it more humain. Do not club them and leave them to bleed to death, as that is very inhumain. Make it a short quick and clean kill (if indeed necessary) so that t minumises pain to the animal.

I do not think that liking the seals to that of cows and chickens is right because we breed these animals to eat, and we make use of all of the animal. A seal is killed for its fur. Yes i agree that you can eat it (like people eat whales, which is another nono!) and possible use some of the oil (why can't we use plant oils), but the main reason is for skin.

We have not allowed the killing of other animals simply for fur so why do we continue to allow seal culling?
Reply 7
Russia reiterates for clarity, as requested by the representative for the UNEP

around 15,000 people in the north atlantic depend upon the seal trade for their livelihood, most who, due to the location, have few other economic opportunites open to them.
Seal skin is waterproof yet breatheable, and makes an ideal clothing material for communities and people who do not have access to materials e.g gore-tex that is available in the west. Seal meat is healthy and rich in omega 3, and the high value of the meat and pelt means that few animals need to be culled to provide a decent level of income.

If we ban the seal cull, it will leave the seal trade open to privateer poachers, who will not adhere to any safe quotas or guidelines, and will not keep the revenues in the local economy. It is better for all concerned, including the seals, to allow culling within quotas and to be able to monitor the cull, than to drive the seal trade onto the black market.

In short, a controlled cull is the best option to control the population, and ensure a living income to people in remote areas.
Mad_Drummer_Girl
We have not allowed the killing of other animals simply for fur so why do we continue to allow seal culling?

It's in the world 'culling' - population control.
Captain Biggles
It's in the world 'culling' - population control.

thanks, but that still isnt a reason, its just, i cant see how we can justify it, why is it such a problem? how does it interfear with us?
have a read. adult seals eat in excess of a tonne of fish each a year. it's about balancing the marine ecosystem :http://www.sealsandsealing.net/conservation/index.html
lodzinski
have a read. adult seals eat in excess of a tonne of fish each a year. it's about balancing the marine ecosystem :http://www.sealsandsealing.net/conservation/index.html

OK, this i can understand, however the killing of them just for killing thems sake for their fur is what i have a problem with
maintaining the ecosystem is one thing, killing them for their fur is another
Mad_Drummer_Girl
OK, this i can understand, however the killing of them just for killing thems sake for their fur is what i have a problem with

The main purpose of seal culling is to maintain the marine ecosystem, and the fact that their fur can be utilised is secondary. Although the reason they need to cull the seals because they are obviously over-fishing is another thing altogether...
But the point with overfishing is is it because of the human population who fish alongside the seals that is the problem
before us the seals were in a balance obviously with the fish, if this were not so then the fish stocks would have ceased to exist. Is it because of us that we now have the problem of overfishing, and we are killing the seals to compensate for our mistakes?
Mad_Drummer_Girl

if they need to be culled, which they do, why not use their bodies in any way which is economically viable?
lodzinski
if they need to be culled, which they do, why not use their bodies in any way which is economically viable?

because its morraly wrong perhaps?
so what would you rather do with the bodies of these seals? discard them?
i dont know, dont kill them in the first place
just, leave them to do as nature intended
Japan suggests the representative of the UNEP is allowing emotional issues to cloud her views in the face of overwhelming rational evidence.
Fail
Japan suggests the representative of the UNEP is allowing emotional issues to cloud her views in the face of overwhelming rational evidence.

I admit to this and appologise, however it is hard for me to see the good in something i find so malitious. I understand the evidence telling me that the culling of some seals is allowed and good for controll of the species, and also understand the previous point made regarding using the skin after killing the seals for population cotroll.

To me, it seems the same as saying something like the human population is growing too much, lets kill some of them off and use the bodys for scientific reaserch. I know this is a very radical viewpoint, however is my oppinion.

Oppinion aside, i understand and, respect (now), the view and need to cull some seals for population controll and so that fish stocks are not wiped out.

I would like to ask though how they re culled, i.e in what manner, and is this manner the most efficient and best way to minimise suffering and pain to the animal.

Latest

Trending

Trending