The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i was considering getting one for my birthday as im sick of shaving and hair removal creams don't work for me...

now i'm not so sure!!!
I would rather use hot wax then put an epilator anywhere near me ever again! :frown: Lol, I felt every single hair going out 1.... by.... 1! I think hair removal cream is much better :biggrin: x
Reply 22
i LOVE epilating. it's never really hurt me, tbh -- i have to go a bit slower on my thighs as that can be painful, but otherwise, it's awesome :biggrin: definitely my favourite method of hair removal.

and DON'T go anywhere near your nether regions with it -- a friend of mine did and the horror stories she told me... :s-smilie:
Reply 23
suicidal_dream
i was considering getting one for my birthday as im sick of shaving and hair removal creams don't work for me...

now i'm not so sure!!!

what's your pain threshold like? actually, scratch that, mine's quite low but epilating doesn't hurt me at all. it's just like plucking really, but on a larger scale. i reckon if you can tolerate that, you can tolerate epilating -- it's awesome when you're used to it, you don't have to shell out for new blades/cream/wax strips, and it lasts WAY longer. i haven't epilated in a month and tbh, there's hardly any hair there still -- certainly in comparison to what they used to be like before i started epilating.

oh, and if you're going to get one, it's probably best to get a good one -- idk, i've never tried any cheap ones; i followed a friend's recommendation and got a braun silk-epil. i heart it :biggrin:
Reply 24
It probably hurts now because as you've been shaving in the past, the roots are thicker. The second time you do it, it will hurt less because roots won't be as strong.

So don't give up!
Pippaaa
what's your pain threshold like? actually, scratch that, mine's quite low but epilating doesn't hurt me at all. it's just like plucking really, but on a larger scale. i reckon if you can tolerate that, you can tolerate epilating -- it's awesome when you're used to it, you don't have to shell out for new blades/cream/wax strips, and it lasts WAY longer. i haven't epilated in a month and tbh, there's hardly any hair there still -- certainly in comparison to what they used to be like before i started epilating.

oh, and if you're going to get one, it's probably best to get a good one -- idk, i've never tried any cheap ones; i followed a friend's recommendation and got a braun silk-epil. i heart it :biggrin:

I've got that one too. It doesn't hurt anymore when I use it. Then again, my last epilator hurt like hell but is was an old model.
Reply 26
epilation is the way forward... it hurts the first time but it is bearable, and after that it gets easier... i love it! only have to use it once a month, better than shaving every 2 to 3 days.
Reply 27
Zuluana
Why does waxing last longer than epilating? Aren't they both pulling the hairs out from the root?

I said JUST as long.
Reply 28
I shave, not painful at all. I use venus (although i need some more ridiculously over-priced blades). I've never fancied epilating, or waxing.
Butterflies and Hurricanes
you do your arms? :s:

Um yes? Lol its really not that painful :smile: if you just **** it and go for it, I don't use the skin attachments on mine so its really close to my skin and then you just move it up and down quickly and press it near the skin and there is about half a min of pain and then its numb/I get used to it :biggrin:
suicidal_dream you should really really consider getting an epilator cuz seriously it doesnt hurt that much! I wouldn't recommend taking pills but ice does the trick, or the no pain wax cream thing!
My body hair has always been really thin and barely visible but then I shaved once or twice and that was the end of it...I shun shaving, it thickens your hair while when you epilate it slowly makes your hair thin and stops the hair growth speed :cool:
Reply 30
I've been using an epilator for about 5 years now and I don't really notice any pain any more, except sometimes around the ankles. I never got the hang of shaving my knee without cutting myself! The hairs definately growing back less as well.
Reply 31
Why would you shave your arms?
Reply 32
could you not just rub bonjela on your skin lol to numb it. i recommend it to people who can't pluck their eyebrows for it hurting -bunch of pussys :p:

after reading this, i am inclined to buy one. I wax..and well that doesn't really hurt,so it should be kinda the same really.
Reply 33
jenren22
Why would you shave your arms?

Because arm hair can be very visible on girls with dark/thick hair and it makes them feel un-feminine.

I bought an epilator a couple of years ago. Every now and then I get up the courage to get it out, then after one use it goes back under the bed. One day, I'm going to stop being such a jessie, but it probably won't be today.
squeak
could you not just rub bonjela on your skin lol to numb it. i recommend it to people who can't pluck their eyebrows for it hurting -bunch of pussys :p:

after reading this, i am inclined to buy one. I wax..and well that doesn't really hurt,so it should be kinda the same really.

Looooool :p:
I just thread my eyebrows and then pluck away the strays till I have to go again :biggrin:
Reply 35
LOl wow. Thanks girls. Im going to try the ice pack thing. Numb the skin, so the pain should reduce (hopefully). Or on the other hand, Ill jus get my legs waxed. Sounds like an easier method
Oh, do you any of you know an epilator that , i dunno, doesnt kill maybe? The one Ive brought is Philips, and i just saw on their website that they have one that comes with an ice pck buit in. I cant afford to go and buy another one :frown:
I do it straight from a hot shower. A lot less painful then...
Reply 37
Can any one recomend a good one? Mine is getting quite old and I'm thinking of getting a new one.

j
you all made me feel better about getting one.
Plucking = doesnt hurt and ive had a few tattoos and such which wasn't painful so perhaps i'll be ok epilating!

Think I'll get a fairly good model - as it'll be for my birthday... perhaps one with the ice pack as a fair few people seem to think that helps! =]
I always mean to get one... but then get scared!! But plucking doesn't bother me and i have my eyebrows waxed no problem, so think i might be able to hack it

-x-

Latest

Trending

Trending