The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Pros and Cons of Exeter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nope, I agree there that they should let CW students in for free!
What other thing about the uni are you dissatisfied with?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I was really annoyed when they changed the film modules for this year, as i really wanted to do european film but only american film was offered. Looking back I wish i hadn't been to quick to dismiss those modules. But basically I've been at uni a year and a half and it's only this term that i've started to enjoy my course.

I think I just have too much time on my hands to think about things because i'm not in uni very much and everytime I try and get involved with societies it just doesn't happen, i've applied and been turned down for several officer positions, auditioned for a couple of musical things and didn't get in, could only afford to join a couple of societies and then didn't like one and couldn't attend the other after getting a job.

By themselves they are only little things, not being the right person for the role is tough but such is life, i think it's just that i keep trying with not even a little bit of joy to keep me going and until recently i didn't even enjoy what i was here for in the first place.

Not to put everyone else off!
Reply 22
That's a shame :frown: How come you're not in uni much?
I also was disappointed to not get very far with the uni theatrical societies or choirs as I've been involved in amateur theatre since I was 11 and in choirs since I was 8. Trouble is, the standard is just achingly high - it appears that you basically have to have been to theatre school or have grade 8 voice respectively in order to get in.
Doing english I only have 6 hours and until this term I'd make 4 of them if i was on a good week.
Sadly I have the grade 8 voice, just 2 left feet as well!
Reply 24
Ah, I see. Thought you meant it was because you were living at home or something. Are you involved in any non-performing societies? ChocSoc is brilliant, for one :biggrin:
I joined world music choir which wasn't auditioned but i didn't like it. And getting a job ruined my salsa dancing career lol. I tried being an officer for the new northcott theatre goers society but when she said "let's meet for a chat" i forgot to realise the hidden meaning of "and make sure you're prepared with lots of ideas and examples of how you'd be brilliant" so i didn't get that. Emailed someone today about writing blogs for expose so shall see how that goes.

The good thing about exeter is that there are lots of opportunities, just is taking me a while to get one!
Reply 26
awwwww :frown: the Exeposé blogs thing sounds good though - think that's a new thing :smile:
Ooooh...I don't want to start my essay yet so I'll have a go....

PROS....

-beautiful campus
-beautiful city
-for such a small city I think it has a good night life but I'm from Somerset and apart from the festival we don't have much locally. I do occasionally go out in Bristol though and I guess that has more choice but still for the size I think it's great cause u always see people you know but there is enough variety.
-course is interesting, varied and well handled in my opinion
-have met some lovely people
-very easy to get involved in anything from the guild to exepose/xmedia to societies. and our RAG is amazing i love going out on the dressing up pub crawls.

NEUTRALs......

-Im not gonna say hall food is great but i do love the breakfast, full english and i'm a veggie but they have great veggie sausages etc. N to be honest in the first year i didnt wanna cook so... meh. i know most unis have the same bad catered food as did schools etc....

CONs....

Rahs...well i had to mention them. It's not so much that Exeter is full of them although it is almost certainly a majority. but it's almost as if it encourages them. especially with the over priced accomodation and Holland halls's reputation. but saying that i have lots of lovely down to earth friends and even have met a few lovely rahs. most people tend to be friendly once you get to know them.

What else.... hmmm travelling for me is perfect cause i only live in Somerset as i said. I dont know about London etc. But my boyfriend comes down to Hull without too much difficultly considering im in the middle of nowhere haha. and i'd say the train links were pretty good and frequent esp for me.

I love exeter, dont let the rah thing put you off or anything else. Uni is what you make of it and I really think Exeter is a great place to be.
+ Campus uni, easy to get everywhere
+ Town is really close as well, you never need a bus
+ Train station close too, still no buses needed
+ Probably a top 15 uni overall, and for certain things it's top 5
+ A few good clubs, and they're small enough to recognise many people there
+ Good pubs if you prefer that to clubbing
+ Both campus and city are attractive places
+ Not many chavs about even in town, and none on campus obviously
+ Lots of societies to join

- RAH (rich asshole) presence*
- Very expensive accommodation both in halls and in private houses
- Clubing is ok but it's no London/Bristol etc, I miss Oceana!
- I'm close to home, but for many it'd be far from home
- Quite hilly, but I like that because its good exercise
- It seems they haven't heard of grit, annoying when its icy!

* You get RAH's at any top 20 or so university, and also you can greatly reduce their presence by going into self catered and/or non en suite accommodation, e.g. I'm at Lafrowda and there are no RAH's.
Reply 29
Thanks for all the responses thus far, you've all been a great help.
romeosbitch
just to add my two pennies:

Pros
Lovely City even if the centre is a little boring
Close proximity to beaches
Suprisingly good range of part time jobs even in the "credit crunch"
Campus is pretty

Cons
For some bizzare reason, i have to pay for some compulsory parts of my english module. its only 3.50 but im already paying 3grand!
Finding cheap accomodation is a long process (outside of halls)
Joining societies costs one hell of a lot.

quite interesting making this list as I dislike the uni but don't seem to have a good reason why.

why do you dislke the uni? :smile:
just curious to find out more cons about exeter to help me decide

Also, i know rahs are a minority but do they form a kind of 'popular group' at exeter or tend to dominate positions of power (for example society leader) either informally in social situations or more formally during things like student elections?
Toxic Tears
why do you dislke the uni? :smile:
just curious to find out more cons about exeter to help me decide

There is not really one specific reason why I don't like it. It's a lot more expensive than I anticipated but I think uni is in general, i just hate spending 3 quid a week on food. Gets rather freaking boring. I enjoy it much more when i have a job, not just because i'm not on the breadline but also as I have something to. I'm studying english and i have far far too much time on my hands. But most of the societies/activities i tried to join I didn't like/couldn't afford to keep going/didn't get the job. So when I am not working I am really rather bored.
So it's not really exeter specifically i dont think, although some of the rahs are annoying, but just uni in general.
hope i haven't put you off too much, lots of people love it!
romeosbitch
There is not really one specific reason why I don't like it. It's a lot more expensive than I anticipated but I think uni is in general, i just hate spending 3 quid a week on food. Gets rather freaking boring. I enjoy it much more when i have a job, not just because i'm not on the breadline but also as I have something to. I'm studying english and i have far far too much time on my hands. But most of the societies/activities i tried to join I didn't like/couldn't afford to keep going/didn't get the job. So when I am not working I am really rather bored.
So it's not really exeter specifically i dont think, although some of the rahs are annoying, but just uni in general.
hope i haven't put you off too much, lots of people love it!

sorry i have another qu:
i know rahs are a minority but do they form a kind of 'popular group' at exeter or tend to dominate positions of power (for example society leader) either informally in social situations or more formally during things like student elections?
also im worried that exeter will get a bit dull after a while. i probs want to go clubbing like twice a week so obviously need a bit of a range of clubs to go to. also is there a lot do do in the city? do students tend to go to the st davids centre or the actual exeter city centre?
Reply 34
St Davids centre/actual centre = same thing. And no, I've not heard of any serial clubbers being bored there.
Toxic Tears
sorry i have another qu:
i know rahs are a minority but do they form a kind of 'popular group' at exeter or tend to dominate positions of power (for example society leader) either informally in social situations or more formally during things like student elections?

rahs aren't a minority. Although it depends on your understanding of rah. I will say that there are quite a few rahs and then lots of posh people who are nicer than rahs but can in aspects still be quite rah-y. However you only really notice this when you are neither rah-y or just posh.

Also in regard to clubbing. You'll need to be prepared to be creative in your drinking and it's often best to leave your house already tipsy verging on drunk or you'll be disappointed if not actually bored.
Reply 36
I've heard some people mention that being an active member of the societies is expensive, what kinds of things are you spending money on?
Reply 37
Toxic Tears
also im worried that exeter will get a bit dull after a while. i probs want to go clubbing like twice a week so obviously need a bit of a range of clubs to go to. also is there a lot do do in the city? do students tend to go to the st davids centre or the actual exeter city centre?

i tend to go clubbing at least twice a week and although the main club i tend to go to is Arena (mainly because my favourite bouncer now lets me in free :awesome:) it can get repetitive.

Arena and Rococos are the two main clubs at the moment then you have Timepiece and Mosaic which are more pubby, each also tends to have their own designated night which changes from year to year even within terms sometimes but you will learn to know where to go and when.

The most important thing is to do drink before you get to the club by the time i get to the club im usually pretty drunk because if you're not it can be a bit boring and expensive plus predrinks are often the funniest part of the night :cute:
Reply 38
Unfortunately all of the clubs in Exeter are god awful.
Reply 39
lmcorr
Unfortunately all of the clubs in Exeter are god awful.

well i like them, no wait... i LOVE arena :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending