The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I really really wouldn't wear this to an interview =/ Whether you pull it down or wear opaque tights it still isn't going to look appropriate...invest in some smart trousers...if you get the job it will be worth it...if not...at least you have a smart outfit for other interviews
Reply 81
misslibby
If you turn up in that skirt and 4" heels for an interview you are going to look trashy. You have great legs...But there's a place for short skirts, interviews aren't it.

I'm kind of tempted to call troll...?

Thanks but i am not a troll, theres no need to get
personal about me now is there:s-smilie:
The message IS sinking in, but as i said, i MAY still have
to wear it, albeit with black opaques.
in my opinion - if you have to question any thing you do... you know deep down that its not right!!!

Havent u got any smart black trousers?!!

p.s u can always go Primarni n pick up a black pencil skirt or black trousers for a fiver
beccalou
The message IS sinking in, but as i said, i MAY still have
to wear it, albeit with black opaques.

Well if you don't want the job, I guess that's your problem...

(Have done a couple of years of reception work in total btw...Gap year, summers etc. If I'd turned up in a skirt that short to any of my jobs I'd have been told to change.)
You don't HAVE to wear it. There isn't any reason you can't pick up a pair of black trousers from somewhere, even if they're the cheapest and worst made things you've ever seen. Black trousers will always look smarter than flaunting your thighs.
Reply 85
ok i can see what a lot of you are saying, but are
you telling me a short skirt can & will never look smart
for office/reception work?
I mean its not going to hinder ANY of my work is it &
again i see several girls walking out of office buildings
in town during lunchtime in short skirts.

Ps i dont mean to be awkward, it isnt me at all:redface:
Reply 86
You dont have to wear it.

You're just making excuses because you WANT to wear the skirt.

Honestly if you turn up in that, you'll look trashy. If I was an interviewer and an interviewee turned up in that, I would certainly get some impressions from you that may not be true. You're just damaging your chances of getting the job. It just looks slutty and trashy to be honest.
Reply 87
it depends which way you look at it
i think it could land you the job
Reply 88
Definatly too short. You won't be taken seriously or be given respect. In work places above the knee is considered racy. Go to primark, buy a new pencil skirt for £very cheap.
Teeee
it depends which way you look at it
i think it could land you the job

Depending on how sleazy the interviewer is, yes?
I dont know why you dont just take everyones advice and go to Primark?! Or Matalan even. Surely you can afford a £5 skirt, its going to be something you will probably use more than once. Because you will need to.. especially if you get the job.
I dont know how old you are and if you've ever had a job but isnt there a pair of trousers or something you wore to your last job or school/sixth form or something.
You wont take anyones opinion though so its making me think this thread was just posted to fish for compliments on your legs?
xx
OP, let us know what you end up wearing and whether or not you get the job!
beccalou

I have never seen anyone at work in a skirt that short unless they were a prostitute, to be completely honest. Short skirts in an office is potentially embarrassing for you were it to ride up or you to sit down unfortunately, and embarrassing for both clients and colleagues who don't want to see your thighs hanging out when they're trying to talk to you.

Girls who wear short skirts to the office don't wear skirts that short, they are normally more like an inch or so above the knee. If they do wear them that short, you can be damned sure they aren't particularly respected. And, to be blunt, they're normally a LOT skinnier, so their short skirts don't reveal quite so much.
Reply 93
Far, far, far, far too short.

And IMO, it would be hindering your work, if you're a receptionist you're likely the first person that prospective clients are going to meet - and your employer isn't going to want that first face to be wearing a skirt that's so, to be blunt, tarty. It's not office appropriate.
Reply 94
too short... mayb it should be just above the knee.. if not then wear tights lol x
beccalou

That length skirt, on you, is never going to look smart.
Reply 96
haha! getting bitchy, but yeah that is too short in my opinion. I don't want to sound horrible but as some people have said it does give the impression you'd be trying to get the job on assets other than your excellent telephone manner and speedy, competent use of microsoft office.
Reply 97
beccalou

I really would rethink it if you want to look smart in a corporate setting. Remember, if you're a recepionist you're going to be greeting people, and are essentially the face of the company. Now, for arguments sake, imagine turning up to an interview with dirty clothes, scuffy shoes, and unwashed hair. They'll look at that and decide that they don't want this as the face of their company. The same with the short skirt. A corporate offices is a formal, smart arena. It warrants smart, serious clothes. How much do you want the job? Because a £10 skirt you buy at asda which falls to the knee will be far more appropriate than a short skirt. And £10 well spent.
Reply 98
I'm sorry beccs, I agree with everyone else here, it's far to short for an interview!
I wouldn't normally bother to reply when everyone else has already said the same, but you seem to need more convincing, so I'll add my name to the list of people who hope you wear a longer skirt or trousers to the interview, even if you have to borrow them or buy them from primark.
It's way too short for a job interview in my opinion, and wearing suspenders or stockings with it would just make it look like it belonged in the bedroom or as sexy secretary fancy dress, not an office. If that's what you wear in your free time then by all means continue to do so, but a skirt that short isn't really appropriate officewear by most standards. I'd seriously consider investing in some slightly longer skirts (there are quite a lot like it in River Island and New Look at the minute which sit just above the knee) or some city style tailored shorts. You may feel comfortable in a short skirt but I (and many employers would probably agree) that it's not appropriate or professional for every day. Personally, I also feel it'd attract the wrong attention and makes some customers or clients feel uncomfortable (I work in an office and on occasions have worn quite a booby top unintentionally and noticed that some men that came in didn't know where to look, which isn't the best at work!). If you do decide to wear it anyway, then black opaque tights, and heels lower than 4 inches would tone it down a bit, and maybe wear it with a nice shirt under the blazer (which looks really good btw!).

Latest