The Student Room Group

Spanish AEA anyone?

My teacher put me down for it, now I've been looking at the past papers it looks scary as HELL! :frown: Is anyone else doing it, or has anyone else already done it? What can you do to prepare? Some of the vocab, I don't know how you're meant to know it, it's so random. HELPPP!!! I'm freaking out lol :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing it and I'm scared too! I'm not really sure what to do to prepare: maybe read some newspapers/novels, practise grammar, translation and essay writing etc.

What were the essay titles on the papers you've seen? I've only got the specimen paper!
Reply 2
Hi guys! I'm doing the spanish AEA in the summer too! My school have ordered some past papers from EDEXCEL for me but they still haven't come! So slow!! :eek: I've only done the specimen so far too...is anyone doing any extra reading? Just I was reading on the French thread and lots of people seem to have for that. I found the specimen quite hard in places - mainly the reading...some of the vocab I'd just never come across before! :frown: Hope it's easier in June! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Sorry, just to say to Crazy_Emz, if it's any help, this was the essay Q for the June 2006 paper. Has anyone else got others? I'd be interested to see more too. When the 07 and 05 get to school, I'll put up those Q's too.

Es muy difícil compaginar el desarollo económico con la protección del medio ambiente. ¿Estás de acuerdo?

O

Escribe un diálogo entre dos españoles: uno que se apasiona por la protección del medio ambiente y otro que cree que es más importante el desarrollo económico.
Reply 4
Hi everyone. I've also been entered for this exam. I've done the June 07 paper, and parts of it are easy whilst others are not. The vocab is random, so I'd expect you're not supposed to have learnt it beforehand. Just read Spanish news as much as you can, I look at elpais.es every day, which also has audio. Elpais.es also has the option to categorise news into 'medioambiente' 'social' 'cultura' etc. so more or less the A2 syllabus titles. The mark scheme for both French and Spanish AEA also dem,ands that in the extended writing essay at the end, you must refer to relevantly, the country in which the language is spoken. The June 07 paper was based around Spanish cities; so I assume some knowledge of recent news about that theme would need to be included. Hmm..I'd better go work on my French now!
Reply 5
Es muy difícil compaginar el desarollo económico con la protección del medio ambiente. ¿Estás de acuerdo?

O

Escribe un diálogo entre dos españoles: uno que se apasiona por la protección del medio ambiente y otro que cree que es más importante el desarrollo económico.

Thanks!

Ouch, they're quite hard questions, I wouldn't really know what to say in English!
Reply 6
hey guys, i did it last year and it wasnt too painful:

for the reading bit, there was quite a lot of filling in boxes for synonyms as i recall, and the listening was hard but not impossible - dont forget u have 3 hours...

also, the writing demands, i thnk, that u use info from the reading exercises, which i think u'll find have q a lot of stuff on cities, so i wouldnt worry too much about that. also, there;s no word limit, which u'll appreciate if ur doing Edexcel A2!!

unless it's part of ur offer, i wouldnt stress - stay quite relaxed and u mite quite enjoy it.

(o yea, and there's only fail, merit, distinction, and the "pass" ("merit") mark is like 40% or something...)
Reply 7
Yeah, does anyone know the pass rates?

Thanks guys, I guess that's worried me and calmed me down at the same time lol. I know I should be doing loads more.. there's so much random vocab I just have no clue what it is :frown: Luckily I have a week to revise before the exam, I swear I'm not gonna talk to anyone lmao.

Ugh I'm so scared still :frown: I don't even know why I'm worrying so much, I didn't even put it on my UCAS form.
Reply 8
Has anyone actually done the specimen listening by the way guys? Just that, I did the paper - minus the listening (or rather with a transcript) but I wondered how people were getting hold of tapes? I mean, I'd be interested to know for this and French really if anyone has ideas??
Reply 9
I got my tapes through school, that had operated this exam in previous years.
Reply 10
me too ^
Reply 11
Neither of you happen to have an audio file of it anywhere you could send me do you? Or would you be able to copy the tape to a CD and load it to your comp? I would be sooooooooooo grateful. I have 07 and 06 audio files on my laptop if that would help anyone.
*Cries* I don't know how to revise for this!
Reply 13
I guess you can't really - just do some practice papers and read the newspapers. You'll be fine if you're 'just' secure on the A2 stuff. :smile:
Reply 14
Apologies for the consecutive posting but does anyone know what the topics were for the 02,03 and 04 papers. You know where it always says on the front what the topic is before you start? Or can anyone remember from when they were doing it? Just interested to see what's come up really. I don't get 06 and 07 at all - they seem to have done economic development and the environment twice...all be it from a different perspective!
Reply 15
hunibuni
Neither of you happen to have an audio file of it anywhere you could send me do you? Or would you be able to copy the tape to a CD and load it to your comp? I would be sooooooooooo grateful. I have 07 and 06 audio files on my laptop if that would help anyone.

Hey! I know this is loads after you posted lol, but do you think you could upload those files? I'd be really grateful :smile: I don't have the actual papers but a bit of extra listening would be good :smile:
Do you actually need specific general knowledge for this paper? I'm sure the mark scheme says you just need to refer to the ideas mentioned ikn the earlier sections?
Reply 17
yea, i imagine the edexcel a2 rule about not needing facts and figures about spain itself would kick in here... general arguments + stuff from the reading worked for me last year...
Have you guys done lots of revision? I'm really not expecting to get anything above a U on this paper. I really wouldn't consider myself good enough at Spanish. I've done the odd past paper but that's about it. I'll learn a few essay phrases later but I can't really see anything else I can do.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone :smile:
Reply 19
yep, good luck people :smile: i haven't done a lot, just doing vocab and stuff, planning to cram some tomorrow lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending