The Student Room Group

Oxford Application Forms

Hi im applying to somerville for maths i dont have the best grades (4A*, 4A, 3Bs at gcse and AAAB at as) btw this isnt one of those threads should i apply or not... but anyway im just a standard maths loving guy who wants to go to oxford and has nothing to put on his extra ps bit that hasnt already been said on my normal ps.
So the questions are Wot to say?(ideas please) and Do i need to explan about my gcse's?
as you here people say u need to explain them is there bad but wots bad. agh the stress... but any help would be much appreciated. thanks.
amo1
Hi im applying to somerville for maths i dont have the best grades (4A*, 4A, 3Bs at gcse and AAAB at as) btw this isnt one of those threads should i apply or not... but anyway im just a standard maths loving guy who wants to go to oxford and has nothing to put on his extra ps bit that hasnt already been said on my normal ps.
So the questions are Wot to say?(ideas please) and Do i need to explan about my gcse's?
as you here people say u need to explain them is there bad but wots bad. agh the stress... but any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

I've personally left mine blank (applying maths-keble :smile: somerville was on the shortlist along with st annes) some people from my school have put how much they would benefit from small tutorials/collegiate system and how they'll bring a lot to the university as they row and play musical instruments, but i felt that a lot of people will put that down and the admissions tutors will get sick of it. You have a realistic chance of getting 3As so you'll get an interview and sit the maths test and it will be those that help them decide on you rather than what's on the form. I doubt you'll gain much from explaining your gcse results unless it's like you did really well because you only came to the country 6 months before sitting them or something. They're not bad results- if you look at www.oxbridge-admissions.org.uk under the profiles in oxford you'll find that there are some students there who got similar results (and also the ones who got 11a*s!!!) It's really more about your mathematical ability I think. Hope this helps. xxx
Reply 2
hi me again... now filling out form does it need to be in capitals and is my country of birth/residence England or UK aghhh. thanks again
block capitals black ink i believe. I put origin: british and the other country one i put UK but a friend put England- I don't think it matters that much! xx
Reply 4
thanks undercover-ange u seem to be giving me help in all my posts
amo1
thanks undercover-ange u seem to be giving me help in all my posts

Anytime. Look at us both applying to oxford for maths!!! Where else are you applying...my others are durham, york, warwick, nottingham and edinburgh :smile: x
Reply 6
undercover-ange
Anytime. Look at us both applying to oxford for maths!!! Where else are you applying...my others are durham, york, warwick, nottingham and edinburgh :smile: x

kinda the same i got straight maths at durham(collinwood), nottingham, ucl, imperial and i got MORSE at warwick.
Reply 7
undercover-ange
block capitals black ink i believe. I put origin: british and the other country one i put UK but a friend put England- I don't think it matters that much! xx

Yeah, i think Oxford are fairly relaxed about the form. Once they get the gist of what you mean, it seems to be okay. At least that's the impression I was given when I phoned them panicking that I might actually have to *shock horror* use the internet version of the form since mine hadn't arrived in the post! (I'm guessing the mailboat to Dublin sank cos its been three weeks and it still ain't here!)

Latest

Trending

Trending