The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It does seem a bit... put on. Like he's straining to sound good. It sounds not bad to me, but yeah, I think it sounds strained.
Reply 2
We talked about this in the Durham Applicants thread a few days ago.... we have a french girl in there! We agreed - its crap!
Urgh, I gave up after 25 seconds it was so annoying. Not incomprehensible, at least, but I'd say it was a bloody thick accent, which for me makes it a bit of a strain to follow.
Reply 4
Personally I find it hilarious since he talks in exactly the same manner in English (in terms of tone, the way of 'enunciating' the words, rythmn and so forth).
Reply 5
He still sounded like Blair... BUT

"i hate this sickening war monger. he is a vile and evil man. becoming a catholic wont save his damned soul. the french can have him."

"PM Tony Blair just insults French people saying the French are chicken fighters. I don't know why he said this."

"**** the british they hate and Blair that cock sucker"

"What a ****ing idiot. I hate those ****ing idiot in power trying to pretend as if they're so ****ing smart. he memorized that whole speech in french, how ****ing pathetic. But then again, men in power are always idiots anyway."

YouTube video comments are going to be used in the future as an indication of the demise of our society.
Reply 6
I thought exactly the same; tis crap.
Reply 7
Very english accent, but hey, he tried I suppose.
why does he keep referring to Grande Bretagne, shouldn't he be technically saying Royaume-Uni ? is it entirely politically correct to leave our Northern Irish counterparts out of the equation?
Reply 9
i think it was a good thing that he tried although his accent could do with some work! as for the comments on youtube by some very ignorant people i think they should be shot
I thought overall it was a pretty good accent. All he needs to do is work on not slipping into English with words that sound similar, and work on a couple of vowel sounds like "é". These two make him sound very Englishy overall, but it's not actually a big problem, or a difficult one to fix.
generalebriety
I thought overall it was a pretty good accent. All he needs to do is work on not slipping into English with words that sound similar, and work on a couple of vowel sounds like "é". These two make him sound very Englishy overall, but it's not actually a big problem, or a difficult one to fix.

I think it's more than that. A large amount of the "English" sound comes from the fact that he still accentuates like an English or German person would, eg. "qui a passioné le monde entier." That one's easy to spot, but it's pervasive, and just not at all French. I think it's even more notable than some of his dodgy vowels. Likewise, he leaves far too much time between words, and varies his pitch too much, without descending quite far enough at the end of sentences. These are the same faults I make, along with a couple of vowel sounds (I'll flatter myself that mine aren't as prominent as Blair's, and it's still obvious I'm foreign, but people can't tell if I'm German or English -- his accent is definitely English). The vowels are easy enough to correct, but the whole intonation and rhythm side is not, especially when reading aloud (and I think he's reading from an autocue).

I suppose it's a decent enough attempt; presumably he had this prepared, or at least looked over, by a French speaker in advance, so I expect he's been coached in the accent. It's an absolute bastard to get perfect, especially the intonation/accentuation aspect though, which is really counter-intuitive for English native speakers.
Da Bachtopus
I think it's more than that. A large amount of the "English" sound comes from the fact that he still accentuates like an English or German person would, eg. "qui a passioné le monde entier." That one's easy to spot, but it's pervasive, and just not at all French. I think it's even more notable than some of his dodgy vowels. Likewise, he leaves far too much time between words, and varies his pitch too much, without descending quite far enough at the end of sentences. These are the same faults I make, along with a couple of vowel sounds (I'll flatter myself that mine aren't as prominent as Blair's, and it's still obvious I'm foreign, but people can't tell if I'm German or English -- his accent is definitely English). The vowels are easy enough to correct, but the whole intonation and rhythm side is not, especially when reading aloud (and I think he's reading from an autocue).

I suppose it's a decent enough attempt; presumably he had this prepared, or at least looked over, by a French speaker in advance, so I expect he's been coached in the accent. It's an absolute bastard to get perfect, especially the intonation/accentuation aspect though, which is really counter-intuitive for English native speakers.

Hmm, it's difficult for me to comment. That kind of accentuation has always come naturally for me (but then I started learning French at an early age, and even if I didn't pick much up, it gave me a decent accent). You're right, his sense of sentence rhythm is awful - this is kind of what I was hinting at when I said "slipping into English", e.g. coopérer, which became "co-op-ray" - because at times he's just speaking as if French was English with different words. But I couldn't say how easy or hard this was to correct.
generalebriety
Hmm, it's difficult for me to comment. That kind of accentuation has always come naturally for me (but then I started learning French at an early age, and even if I didn't pick much up, it gave me a decent accent). You're right, his sense of sentence rhythm is awful - this is kind of what I was hinting at when I said "slipping into English", e.g. coopérer, which became "co-op-ray" - because at times he's just speaking as if French was English with different words. But I couldn't say how easy or hard this was to correct.

I see, I kind of supposed you meant that, but you stuck on his vowels, which I think are for the most part OK, with funny ones showing through. The intonation is just everwhere. I think it's the think that people pick up last of all, and which really does distinguish certain foreigners (English, Americans, Germans, and probably Norwegian/Swedish people, but I don't know any). Italian and Spanish accents seem to have more difficulty with the vowels and consonants, even though their languages are technically closer to French -- the intonation problem is there too, but the vowels are more striking. And Chinese and Japanese accents are just amazing.

I think my accent is good, maybe not as good as a couple of other foreigners who've studied French longer than me, but better than other English/American accents I hear. I don't know how good your accent is, but if it's not quite perfect, chances are that there will still be some residue of English intonation -- maybe not enough for English people to hear immediately, but enough for natives. It's the last bit that is really, really difficult to iron out, especially if you're already a fluent speaker and have to force yourself to slow down and concentrate on rhythm. If you want to check it, get a French person to listen to you (especially if you read out loud, this exaggerates your faults) and then tell you what your idiosyncracies are. I'm doing this with a French girl who wants a perfect English accent; it's both useful and highly frustrating!
Da Bachtopus
I see, I kind of supposed you meant that, but you stuck on his vowels, which I think are for the most part OK, with funny ones showing through. The intonation is just everwhere. I think it's the think that people pick up last of all, and which really does distinguish certain foreigners (English, Americans, Germans, and probably Norwegian/Swedish people, but I don't know any). Italian and Spanish accents seem to have more difficulty with the vowels and consonants, even though their languages are technically closer to French -- the intonation problem is there too, but the vowels are more striking. And Chinese and Japanese accents are just amazing.

I think my accent is good, maybe not as good as a couple of other foreigners who've studied French longer than me, but better than other English/American accents I hear. I don't know how good your accent is, but if it's not quite perfect, chances are that there will still be some residue of English intonation -- maybe not enough for English people to hear immediately, but enough for natives. It's the last bit that is really, really difficult to iron out, especially if you're already a fluent speaker and have to force yourself to slow down and concentrate on rhythm. If you want to check it, get a French person to listen to you (especially if you read out loud, this exaggerates your faults) and then tell you what your idiosyncracies are. I'm doing this with a French girl who wants a perfect English accent; it's both useful and highly frustrating!

Almost certainly. Yeah, my accent's not perfect, nor am I fluent, sadly; I've never been to France and don't know any French people, which doesn't help (plus I've kinda given French up for German). But you're right, maybe I will do that if I ever meet any French people. :p: I've certainly done this for German in the past.
It's easy to be snobbish and ridicule his accent, but unlike students, he didn't use French every day. He was obviously quite nervous too. Even though he did pronounce every single syllable and it came across as quite anglocised, he did a good job! I'm still waiting for Mr. Sarkozy to congratulate Gordon Brown (or as he likes to call him ''Gourrdonn'')!
edited
Reply 17
He's reading it off as well.
generalebriety
Almost certainly. Yeah, my accent's not perfect, nor am I fluent, sadly; I've never been to France and don't know any French people, which doesn't help (plus I've kinda given French up for German). But you're right, maybe I will do that if I ever meet any French people. :p: I've certainly done this for German in the past.

I love German. I've spent a good amount of this year so far (in France, ha) picking it up, and now it's taking off I can't wait to go this summer and get fluent.

There's a French Soc in Cambridge; I went to about two meetings, it was OK to practise (better than the worthless conversation group at the language centre). I think there are French people who go there. But then, I'm not sure if they would stick together cliquily (probable) or be open. I find that French people I know here act like they've already got enough friends (a lot of them went to school together), so they're not that bothered about spending much time with foreigners. Hence I speak French a lot with other international students, and have started picking apart the accents as a distraction :p:
Reply 19
Not bad I suppose - it has a very "forced" air, but he does his best with the pronunciation and, assuming he's never spoken much French, I'd say it was a good attempt.

Latest

Trending

Trending