The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Who has the better looking colleges - thats def a can of worms. Oxford definitely has some stunning architecture and I agree All Souls is stunning but Cambridge put up a good fight: Corpus, Gonville & Caius, Kings, Trinty etc.
Rudrax
Cambridge put up a good fight: Corpus, Gonville & Caius, Kings, Trinty etc.

Magdalen, Christ Church, Merton, Balliol, Trinity, Brasenose, Worcestor, Corpus... Cambridge colleges are more individually grand and handsome (King's, Trinity and John's in particular) but I think the Oxford colleges definitely win overall.
Reply 122
Hashshashin
Magdalen, Christ Church, Merton, Balliol, Trinity, Brasenose, Worcestor, Corpus... Cambridge colleges are more individually grand and handsome (King's, Trinity and John's in particular) but I think the Oxford colleges definitely win overall.

You make a good point about individuality. I think the Oxford colleges, although stunning, are more homogeneous than the Cambridge colleges which each have a distinct character.
Tbf thats probably true.
I really don't think Oxford is that homogenous...the turl street colleges are pretty boring maybe. Of course, with heterogeneity comes a distinct variety in quality. Cambridge probably has the very grandest colleges, but Oxford doesn't have anything quite as ugly as Churchill/New Hall.
Reply 125
CarneLevare
Oxford doesn't have anything quite as ugly as Churchill/New Hall.

Lol!
Reply 126
I wouldn't say the Oxford colleges are particularly homogenous. Compare St Catherine's with Trinity and Keble and LMH and then tell me they are :p:
Angelil
I wouldn't say the Oxford colleges are particularly homogenous. Compare St Catherine's with Trinity and Keble and LMH and then tell me they are :p:

Rep. :P
St. Catherine's is possibly one of the ugliest things I've ever seen... except, of course, for Churchill.
I used to think that from my general opinion of 60s architecture / pure snobbery. But it is an amazing pLace.
Reply 129
Hedgeman49
Rep. :P
St. Catherine's is possibly one of the ugliest things I've ever seen... except, of course, for Churchill.

hehe :p:
I wouldn't say St Catz is ugly, just that it looks like a conference centre and I'd feel kind of cheated if I was promised an Oxford college and got...that :p:
Angelil
hehe :p:
I wouldn't say St Catz is ugly, just that it looks like a conference centre and I'd feel kind of cheated if I was promised an Oxford college and got...that :p:

Exactly... it's sort of comparatively ugly next to some other colleges :wink:
Turdburger
I used to think that from my general opinion of 60s architecture / pure snobbery. But it is an amazing pLace.

Doesn't matter if it's the most amazing place in the world... it's still ugly. :p:
Still, if I got an offer from them, I'd still take their hand off...
Hedgeman49
Doesn't matter if it's the most amazing place in the world... it's still ugly. :p:
Still, if I got an offer from them, I'd still take their hand off...

:biggrin: As, I'm sure, would lots of people!
Reply 133
Getting an offer from St Catherine's would be a mild dilemma, really: the delight of getting an offer from Oxford, yet the disappointment of being somewhere modern. I'm not making an open application lest I get sorted there. >.>
I wouldn't be at all worried about getting an offer from a modern college, I'd just be delighted to go.
Reply 135
Oxford.

Because...well, I'm Russian and 'Oxford' is where we consider where it's at. :smile:

Really, it's just a feeling I can't deny...
---
Seriously though, if not Oxford and the whole Oxbridge vibe thing, I'd take a London uni any day.
Reply 136
Erradhadh
Oxford.

Because...well, I'm Russian and 'Oxford' is where we consider where it's at. :smile:

Really, it's just a feeling I can't deny...
---
Seriously though, if not Oxford and the whole Oxbridge vibe thing, I'd take a London uni any day.

saaame... UCL is REALLY where it's at.
Both in beautiful locations, I personally prefer Oxford, not sure why, I just do. Depends what you're looking for, I guess. If, for instance you like a riverside market town, Cam, if a maze-like, mysterious city-Ox. Also, look at your own qualifications, Cambridge look at module marks, Oxford don't. Also, some courses are only offered at one- eg Cam- vet science. Look at the courses, location, size etc

if I had to pick, Oxford :P but that's just me. I don't think Cambridge is a dump though!

Latest

Trending

Trending