The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did. But i was ill and had lots of evidence. They knew before i got my grades.
Sarky
I did. But i was ill and had lots of evidence. They knew before i got my grades.

aha I see ext circs. To be specific my offer is AAB A in chem, obviously Im going to try my darned hardest to achieve that, but Im wondering what my odds would be if I got AAB but B in chem. I suppose it depends on place availability. Anyway Im not complaining they could of asked for AAA! :biggrin:
Miss_Scarlett
This is a question for current med students really. I wondered how many people, if any, that you know who missed their offer for med school and still got in?

i know one girl here without her grades (she has AAB but missed her bio A which was specified) then again, I know people who've been rejected from here in the same circumstances too. all a bit pot luck tbh, i'd say work your arse off while you still can and get your grades :smile:
Reply 4
Maybe half a dozen, probably more come to think of it.
How ****ing annoying would it be to miss an offer. :mad:
Speedbird2008
How ****ing annoying would it be to miss an offer. :mad:

Im trying to avoid it :biggrin: Just like to have a plan laid out in mind for every eventuality. :biggrin:

bright star
all a bit pot luck tbh, i'd say work your arse off while you still can and get your grades :smile:

Pot luck it certainly is. I plan to take your advice when I start hardcore work on monday, always something to look forward to eh?
Reply 7
I can't think of any tbh, but it's not something we really talk about.
Reply 8
I missed my offer. I was offered AAB but got BBBB (one was general studies). I was heartbroken on results day, really thought that was it as i don't think i could have worked any harder.

My application was reviewed by the dean and he still gave me my place but i'm not sure tht would happen now as demand is ever increasing.
Reply 9
bright star
i know one girl here without her grades (she has AAB but missed her bio A which was specified) then again, I know people who've been rejected from here in the same circumstances too. all a bit pot luck tbh, i'd say work your arse off while you still can and get your grades :smile:

I was rejected for EXACTly the same reason last year at Liverpool!!!:mad:

My offer was AABB, but I got AAAB, B in Biology( 3 marks off an A), therefore they didn't want me. It really bothered me for quite a while. At the end of day, I think its their loss anyway, I wont make a doctor, just because I was 3 marks off in A level Bology??? Well, I am much happier now.:rolleyes:
bosongyin
I was rejected for EXACTly the same reason last year at Liverpool!!!:mad:

My offer was AABB, but I got AAAB, B in Biology( 3 marks off an A), therefore they didn't want me. It really bothered me for quite a while. At the end of day, I think its their loss anyway, I wont make a doctor, just because I was 3 marks off in A level Bology??? Well, I am much happier now.:rolleyes:

It's more if they have too many people wanting to study anyway with offers, people who miss their offer are easy to reject unfortunately.

One of the cool things about randomly deciding you want to do medicine in a gap year. :biggrin:
Reply 11
I am glad in a way, I was rejected now, because I just dont think PBL would be the best learning method for me! The gap year has definetely given me more time to do more reseach on where I really would lke to go!!!
I don't know anybody, but it's not something we really talk about so there may be some.
Leicester said on the letter that they are "sympathetic" when grades are missed - does anybody know if there is any evidence to back this up? Or is it simply an excellent marketing ploy to ensure they are used as an insurance/firmed in the case of candidates with more than one offer (and I must admit it is a very convincing argument).

Ah well best to just work hard and get the grades I suppose.
Reply 14
greenerwhiterblacker
Leicester said on the letter that they are "sympathetic" when grades are missed - does anybody know if there is any evidence to back this up? Or is it simply an excellent marketing ploy to ensure they are used as an insurance/firmed in the case of candidates with more than one offer (and I must admit it is a very convincing argument).

Ah well best to just work hard and get the grades I suppose.

Lol well it definitely worked on me. Thats the reason i put them as my insurance.
Reply 15
In theory at least, any medical school is likely to make an exception for students that they really want (after interview) and to not for those that they don't - that applies as much to ICSM as it does to Pen.
my friend had AAAA for AS and had UCL as his firm and cardiff as his insurance, he got ABB for his A2s and got a place at cardiff, i think both of the offers where AAA or AAB. UCL rejected him obviously.
Well UCL definitely gets more than enough people. So yep.
Reply 18
dntst
UCL rejected him obviously.
Obviously they didn't want him enough.
I'm not a med student (yet!), am gapping. But last results day one girl got ABB when offer was AAB and called them up, begged them and still got in.

However, at least one/two just missed their offers for med/dent and did not get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending