The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing 5 advanced highers and i don't think it's that ridiculous. Granted i haven't started them yet (apart from maths a bit) If scottish unis required advanced highers it wouldn't be that rare people doing 4
Thankfully they don't. Quite a high number of people aren't suited to doing AHs, at least from where I'm from.
Yeah i don't think they should (mainly because there isn't so much support as for A-levels) but just because not many people do many that doesn't mean it's gonna cripple you socially etc
No, that's true, but I know quite a few of my friends in 6th year who do 3 are bogged down in work right now, so it certainly isn't going to help. It all depends what you want out of 6th year, it is possible to do well and have a social life if you manage your time effectively :smile:
Yeah there are a lot of people bogged down in work but almost all of them i know (5th and 6th) year haven't really worked that hard throughout the year and are just going "oh ****, exams soon, better do something!" there is so little motivation for a lot of people doing advanced highers (mainly because the people doing them tended to do well the previous year have an unconditional or don't need much else)

Everyone i know that's worked steadily through the year has achieved well and isn't panicking too much
5 advanced highers? Are you insane?
I don't think so personally :P
Which ones are you taking? :smile:
Sorry if that wasn't directed at me (could be Roo?)

Maths, Applied maths (mechanics), chemistry, phyics and music
No, it was you :smile:

I admire you heartily for sticking with maths (which I hate cause I spent all day revising it).

That looks like a lot of hard work for AH, but you seem to have the motivation for it, let's hope sixthyearitis doesn't set in :wink:

What do you want to do at uni, something sciency?
Yeah i want to do natural sciences, i doubt sixth yearitis will set in because i'm applying to some english unis which require you to at least do something XD

I admire you for doing history and english (are they still letting you take that?)

Maths has kinda always been my thing so it's not too bad for me, it's all about what you're good at really, there's plenty things i'm not!

I'm learning a bit of AH maths and phyics at the mo to try and get a head start, i'm revising for highers obviously but that's so i don't forget stuff so it doesn't take too long (apart from chem!)
Oh, will you be applying for Cambridge?

No, they aren't which has really irritated me so I'm doing computing instead :frown: But I still get my beloved History so that is cheered me up!

A head start might be a good idea, I know I've been looking over some of the stuff involved in what I'm taking :smile:
Yeah i'm applying for cambridge, i'd be happy with st andrews or edinburgh though if they rejected me, i ultimately want to go into research so Cambridge seems the place to be for that kinda thing. I'm likely to be the furthest away applicant living in the UK :smile: (irrelevant but it makes me smile

That's kinda crap :frown: why are they not offering it? I guess i'm lucky because the majority if my island has to go to my school at some point so they pretty much have to offer lots as there is no alternative place to do them!
Cause my school sucks. I go to a really crap state in a pretty rough area :frown:
That's unlucky :frown: At least you're doing your school proud though and actually giving a ****! My school is a pretty good state one (largely because of the massive catchment area) but there are so many people doing far worse than you because they are lazy etc.
the average prelim mark for most of the classes was D XD
Keep up the good work though and you may even inspire people thinking "oh this school is crap, there's no point trying to do well" to go the extra mile. I know of situations where that's happened!
There are quite a few really clever people in myyear so I'm sticking with them :smile:

If I give inspiration to anyone that's a good thing :smile: Just need to get past the itty bitty problem of the higher exams first :biggrin:
Ah yeah, you seem on top of that though :P
OK I don't want to be putting an absolute downer on your motivation and everything, seriously best of luck, but I'm doing 2 AH Sciences and Higher music this year, and it's pretty bad work wise.

In the sciences you have about 12 PPAs to carry out (and write - up depending on your school) as well as the investigations. I'm currently writing up my Chemistry one, and it's horrible. Music, you then have your inventions to do, as well as the mofo essay. Everyone at my school then gets an absolute ton of maths homework to do every day.

If you are wanting to have any extracurricular activities to balance out your application, or just like, have friends, I would not recommend doing five. Cambridge would prefer 3 or 4 As and a well-rounded person, than someone with 5 Cs who's burnt out.
I appreciate where you're coming from, i know it's gonna be hard and if i was gonna burn out i'd drop one of them but i want to give it a shot.

For music (assuming by inventions you mean compositions?) i have two (different ones than i'm using for highers) my teacher said would pass AH level so that would just be writing what motivated me etc

Maths i think the overlap between the normal course and the applied one would help, i've learnt about 1/3 of the first unit of AH maths to help aswell.

I have done quite a lot of extra-cirriculars this year (not that i plan on doing NONE next year) and two of my friends are doing 4 AH's (although this has no bearing on my choice to do five) so we'll be in the same-ish boat, and that can be quite social, a lot of the time at the moment i see friends to revise and we have a good time just with the company and we learn stuff.

I'm not saying what you're saying is invalid in anyway, just i don't mind lots of work, i have had so much spare time this year and it's bothered me quite a bit so i want to keep busy next year! Thanks for your advice though :smile:
Haha oh yeah, back in my day they were called inventions :rolleyes:. That's lucky you have them.

If you want to do well at all 5 you will have to study A LOT. I mean I'll be honest, I'm doing terribly this year because I got the grades last year and amn't studying at all, I'm just scraping through. I think you would need to do about an hour a night to keep on top of the science stuff. How many people will be in your classes? That also has a big effect on your success... (19 in mine :frown:)

Maybe it's just Shetland (:wink:) and there's not much to do, but surely you want to use 6th year to expand your social life? I had a ton of free time last year too (wish I'd got a damn job), but I know that if I was actually aiming for all As this year I would have had very little. And that's just doing 2 AHs.

Latest

Trending

Trending