The Student Room Group

I need a counter argument.

For my history coursework I've decided on a question along on the lines of 'It is because of historians that Eleanor of Aquitaine is seen as one history's most influential women therefore other medieval women are ignored'. Something like that...anyway I have just wrote a part of my essay arguing that it is NOT because of historians that Eleanor is such an influential figure due to certain factors however I don't know how to argue this? How can I argue a point saying it IS due to historians that Eleanor is held in such regard therefore other women are ignored? I'm confusing myself and thinking my question is a bit dodgy now...

any help?
thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
Well, do you have anyone actually arguing that point? Any historians to back you up? At least then you could set it out and argue against them. If not, then you're a bit stuck...
Silentsea
For my history coursework I've decided on a question along on the lines of 'It is because of historians that Eleanor of Aquitaine is seen as one history's most influential women therefore other medieval women are ignored'. Something like that...anyway I have just wrote a part of my essay arguing that it is NOT because of historians that Eleanor is such an influential figure due to certain factors however I don't know how to argue this? How can I argue a point saying it IS due to historians that Eleanor is held in such regard therefore other women are ignored? I'm confusing myself and thinking my question is a bit dodgy now...

any help?
thankyou :smile:

How many other women from the period can you name? Where is your knowledge from? :wink:
Reply 3
Also, are other medieval women ignored? They had reduced roles and generally had little impact on politics, yes, but where they did have an impact they are noted for it - from Queen Isabella (Edward II's wife, who helped overthrow him) to Joan of Arc and less important women like Marguerite Porete (burned at the stake for being a heretic).

What made you choose this question? Did you find the claim in a book somewhere?
Reply 4
I've just come to the conclusion that my question is a tad rubbish, so I think I'm just going to change it and compare Eleanor with other influential women...
Because my original question suggests I have views from other historians which I actually don't...so thats a flaw right there in it. Tut.
Thanks for the help anyway guys :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending