The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
NickkO
Whatever in the neigborhood qualifies as good education.

I would NEVER send my children to boarding school. I want to be the one raising them, not a bunch of old farts in tweed jackets.

:smile:
orionmoo
GCSE 5 A*-C but Merchant Taylor Boys got 29%! My state mixed comprehensive high school got 63% 5 A*-C! I would've expected higher as I dont understand how you cant get 5 C's.. .

erm I think that you will find That MT Boys actually got 95.1% of GCSE (/IGCSE) exams at grade C or above......

MT boys deemed the GCSE Maths as way too easy and so scrapped it and replaced it with the IGCSE maths which the government fail to recognise in their oh so useful league tables.......

MT is a top 250 GCSE and Top 100 A-level school..........every year without fail
Mrm.
erm I think that you will find That MT Boys actually got 95.1% of GCSE (/IGCSE) exams at grade C or above......

MT boys deemed the GCSE Maths as way too easy and so scrapped it and replaced it with the IGCSE maths which the government fail to recognise in their oh so useful league tables.......

MT is a top 250 GCSE and Top 100 A-level school..........every year without fail

someone's cage is rattled :rolleyes:
The school that's bottom of the local LEA... :rolleyes:
The_Goose
I would never have my kids home schooled. I think it's wrong to deny them the social experiences of school. I don't think that experience can be gained anywhere else

There's no schools in the wilderness though, it's my only option. That or have them raised by wolves.
Private School if I can afford it.

I'd want the best for my kids...

(I go to a private school, and have loved every bit of it. :smile:)
Reply 66
Private if I can afford it.
I loved my private school. And I have never known anyone to say they love their state school. So private all the way
The_Goose
someone's cage is rattled :rolleyes:

Hi there

No not really ...... but its sometimes like reading tabloid gutter press on here.. Some gets the wrong end of the stick either (i) unintentionally or (ii) intentionally and then start spouting ridiculous facts based on pure poppycock...

I do believe that there are serious issues with the state system however, unfortunately much of which is down to governmental tampering.. An easy example of which is one of the uk's "Beacon Schools" Parrswood in Manchester...which has just been slated by OFSTED and Special Measures suggested.... It is a shambles and it will continue to be until the system is actually organised by educationalists and not oppurtunists...

have a look..... http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1023440_special_measures_for_top_school
state school - I can't afford private.

If I had the money though they'd be going private.
Reply 69
PinkMobilePhone
state school - I can't afford private.

If I had the money though they'd be going private.

your pic of your kids is so cute
I made my comment above cos that's where I went and I still did alright.

But, I dunno I want my kids to have the best, but then again I want them to grow up around everybody else. In the end I'll probably just ask my kids (if I have them!) where they want to go and let them go where they'd be happy and providing I could afford what they wanted!

If you go for the local state you've got the option of ending up at the worst school around, not actually being taught anything but then you gain so much in other areas. And if you go private you've got a better education and opportunities but you're away from the other stuff.

*shrug* Probably state primary and then let them choose that way they can't blame me for anything (apart from not making decisions :tongue:).
sarCAZm
Private if I can afford it.
I loved my private school. And I have never known anyone to say they love their state school. So private all the way

Yes - posh and previliged - that is the way to go.
I would also send to private schools.
Reply 72
A good state school, I very much doubt that I'd send them to a private school, and definately not a boarding school.

It's not about the money though, even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't specifically want to send them to a private school, unless they were being bullied or there was another serious reason.

edit: actually I'd send them to the school that the majority of the children living in the area attend, that way they will have more friends in the area where they are being brought up.
Hmm, good question. It depends heavily on how much money I have then, what the states school they'd probably go to is like and things I can't even conceive of yet.
clallen2
your pic of your kids is so cute

Reply 75
State school as I don't normally like the type of people who go to private schools.
If I could afford it, I'd rather have them go to a private school, but if there's a state school in the area that's at least relatively good, and if my children seem pretty bright anyway, I wouldn't mind sending them to one. Although, if my child was perhaps not particularly bright, I might send them to a private school to give them a better chance. But it does really depend on the schools in the area.
Reply 77
depends. i've done private, state, and grammar at varying stages, and i absolutely LOVED my private school. i was so incredibly settled in, and ut challenged me far more than my state school. if it was financially possible, i'd definitely put my children through pre-prep, and probably prep too as i wouldn't see the point in taking them out of the school after that if they were settled.

.Ed.
What, the 11+ is long dead... People don't do it anymore.

er, yes they do :smile: the grammar school i went to still runs the 11+.
Reply 78
Lord Hysteria
Yes - posh and previliged - that is the way to go.
I would also send to private schools.

Are you being sarcastic? I think you are - if you were that "previliged", you'd be able to spell a lot better. :smile:

Though completely irrelevant - I reckon the Youtube thingies on your profile are absolutely brilliant.
If i have a child and if it is pretty well behaved and quite intelligent then i would just send them to a state school.. I don't see the advantages of sending them to a private school, it did me no harm :smile:

Latest