The Student Room Group

Oxfords perception of work experience?

Hi

I heard today that Oxford aren't as obsessed with relevant work experience in comparison with other Medical schools, is this true?

I already do weekly voluntary work but would I be at a particular advantage by doing more than that, and what do you think is the average quantity of work experience for a sucessful candidate?

Finally I know Oxbridge are keenly focused on "training nobel prize winners" if you like, is there a particular emphasis on getting good scientists over good doctors and would work experience in a research lab for example be a beneficial idea?

Thanks alot
Grrr..

I hate all these "Oxford says this, Oxford says that" rumours - that are founded on NOTHING. Oxford choose the best candidates that have applied - that is the only solid reason for admission.

As long as you have around 7A* (average GCSE grades from their candidates) and AAAA at AS Level and AAA at A2 Level, a good BMAT, some extra curriculars and some work experience, you should get to interview. (A good reference and personal statement go witout saying...)

After that, it is up to you.

Who knows - some people who did work experience since God was a boy may get rejected, they may not. Those who only did a week may also get in, they may also not. If you're a good enough candidate and will get AAA for A2 Level, you'll get in, end of.

So, no, that rumour is just that, a rumour - though having a good deal of work experience will not harm you.
I have an offer from Oxford for medicine this year. I had less than a week's work experience-3 days in a hospital and 3 days in a GP surgery and I'm a St John Ambulance cadet. I think most people will have some work experience of some sort but it needn't be excessive. I wasn't asked a single question about it in the interviews which were mostly academic.

Some voluntary work shows commitment obviously but don't go overboard. There are other aspects to the application: grades, BMAT and the interview.
Reply 3
Even if Oxford aren't bothered about work experience the other universities that you will be applying to are bothered, so you still have to get plenty anyway.

Why would you not want to do work experience? Surely, as a potential medic, it interests you?
Well I know a lot of people weren't asked about work experience in Oxbridge interviews, but a good chunk of one of my Cambridge interviews centred on it, the interviewer had my personal statement right there and asked me about various parts they'd highlighted.
Here’s a thought. Oxfords perception of work experience... ask Oxford? Surely the contact details of relevant admissions tutors are on the website?
Reply 6

"Even if Oxford aren't bothered about work experience the other universities that you will be applying to are bothered, so you still have to get plenty anyway.

Why would you not want to do work experience? Surely, as a potential medic, it interests you?"

Ofcourse I absolutley love it, I had so much fun on my last week and the voluntary work that I do is so enriching and worthwhile.

Its just that with all the exams time is minimal and theres only a limited amount that I can do at my hospital unfortunately.

Out of interest does anyone know where a ranking of the top med schools can be found?

I know that to an extent there all very similar but it would be interesting to make direct comparisons?

The ranking I found through 'the guardian' surprised me in that it placed Southampton and Bristol quite low down which I hadn't anticipated???
Reply 7
tom s
"Even if Oxford aren't bothered about work experience the other universities that you will be applying to are bothered, so you still have to get plenty anyway.

Why would you not want to do work experience? Surely, as a potential medic, it interests you?"

Ofcourse I absolutley love it, I had so much fun on my last week and the voluntary work that I do is so enriching and worthwhile.

Its just that with all the exams time is minimal and theres only a limited amount that I can do at my hospital unfortunately.

Out of interest does anyone know where a ranking of the top med schools can be found?

I know that to an extent there all very similar but it would be interesting to make direct comparisons?

The ranking I found through 'the guardian' surprised me in that it placed Southampton and Bristol quite low down which I hadn't anticipated???

i'd take the guardian's league tables as less accurate/widely read than the times/telegraph/"the good uni guide" tables to be honest.
Of the people I know studying medicine, those who did the least (total of a few weeks) happen to be at Oxford and Cambridge. I don't think you can draw any strong conclusion from that.

I don't think admissions targets people for being "good scientists rather than good doctors", though an interest in and aptitude for science is prerequisite for the course to some extent. There's no reason at all to believe experience in a lab is at all helpful admissions-wise.
Reply 9
Their website might give some clues as to their perception of work experience? With some 'emphasis mine'... :p:
Preclinical Medicine at Oxford: Applying

Selection Criteria

The personal characteristics we look for applicants to the standard course (both the pre-clinical and clinical parts) are listed below.

Personal characteristics: suitability for medicine

* Empathy: ability and willingness to imagine the feelings of others and understand the reasons for the views of others
* Motivation: a reasonably well-informed and strong desire to practise medicine
* Communication: ability to make knowledge and ideas clear using language appropriate to the audience
* Honesty and Integrity
* Ethical awareness
* Ability to work with others
* Capacity for sustained and intense work

Academic Potential

* Problem-solving: critical thinking, analytical approach
* Intellectual curiosity: keenness to understand the reason for observations; depth; tendency to look for meaning; enthusiasm and curiosity in science

Frequently asked Questions

(12) Do I need to have undertaken any work experience or voluntary activity?

Our tutors select students using our agreed selection criteria. All candidates are free to make reference to skills or experience acquired in any context to date when trying to address our selection criteria; sometimes candidate refer to voluntary work and other extra-curricular activity, but many forms of evidence can help demonstrate to tutors that a candidate has tried to make an informed decision regarding his/her own suitability to study Medicine.

While some work experience in hospitals is theoretically desirable, we do appreciate that it can be very difficult to arrange and we therefore have no requirement for it. Some candidates are exposed to more opportunities in this area than others. Any form of voluntary work would be beneficial in the context of applying for Medicine (such as helping out in a hospital, at an old people's home, St Johns ambulance, or work with a charity or overseas agency).

Or anecdote - I wasn't asked about mine at Oxford interviews.
Obviously it was on my PS though - shadowing (2 weeks), hospital admin work (full time summer job), community service (Wed PM activity for a few school terms) & volunteer work with a charity (events over ~5 years).
Reply 10
My work experience is somewhat sparse, compared to some people. Therefore, I was asked about it. I also had a fairly in depth conversation about what happens 'if a doctor makes a mistake'.

However, I think the primary aim of the interviews is to assess academic aptitude. They get other information from PS/ reference.
OK everyone, let me dispel this myth. Its UTTER BULL****! Dont kid yourself that you can slack on the extra curricular stuff for ANY university.
Reply 12
'Extra-curricular activities' aren't synonymous with 'relevant work experience' - which is what the OP asked about.
In this case however I beg to differ. Whilst in prinicple Id agree that extra curricular activities are not synonymous with relevant work experience, for the purposes of my comment the extra curricular activity refered to is the work experience. After all what is an extra curricular activity defined as? In my book work experience would almost certainly fall under extra curricular.
Well, when I was researching which med schools to apply to, I emailed Oxford to ask about this very matter as in my case, work experience was a strength. The reply basically was that they did not take work experience into account and focussed on academics. I figured "why bother?" as I had the grades, but would stand a better chance at any other med school which DID take work experience into account.

OP: I don't think the fact that you don't have much WE means you will have more chance at Oxford, but that it won't negatively affect your app to Oxford.
I would be really sceptical about them truly disregarding work experience (other than the fact I remember being asked a fair amount about my work experience in interview). I really wouldnt try it... youre just going to get burned (badly) if you do.