The Student Room Group

Failing, need advice

Never posted here before so here goes:
I've basically mucked up my A Levels in the worst way possible. I won't go into details because I'm through with excuses. But now this is the situation, after these holidays I will sit 2 A2 exams, english and religious studies and hopefully escape with B grades.

What I want to do is go to uni to study anything in the field of A.I., Cybernetics, the sciences and so forth. These are the only subjects I ever really wanted to do but my school would not let me take any of the sciences or maths becuase my GCSEs are at C grades (I'm not stupid I was just a very lethargic student).

So how do I do this? What routes can I take to finally get the A Levels for my dream courses at a good uni, and finally make myself successful?
I've allready considered distance learning but I'm not sure who offers the best courses or if unis look down on that.

Sorry for the long winded mini essay I just really need some help! Please, please, please (I'm on my internet knees here) help me, I desperately want this.
Reply 1
Umm....the obvious option is to take the A levels you have then reapply to a college and take more and pull your finger out!

However, you could feasibly apply thins year t a uni and take a foundation degree progra that will lead you on to the proper degree.

There are many options and a connexions centre will help you out with sorting them.

What I will say though is until you stop being 'lethargic' and pull your finger out, don;t aspire to be at a good uni!
Reply 2
Yeah I would retake my a levels where I am now, but they won't let me! This is the problem, how do I get those a levels without the GCSE grades??? Sorry if I was unclear. I know I can do it through distance learning I just want to know if there are better routes. (Sorry if I sound like an a-hole through my style of writing I can't avoid it).
Dion Bridger
Yeah I would retake my a levels where I am now, but they won't let me! This is the problem, how do I get those a levels without the GCSE grades??? Sorry if I was unclear. I know I can do it through distance learning I just want to know if there are better routes. (Sorry if I sound like an a-hole through my style of writing I can't avoid it).

Get the GCSE grades first?

Ask your current school/college whether they'd be willing to accept you on their A-level course provided you demonstrated A-grade ability in a science GCSE paper in September or something. Then work your arse off over summer and teach yourself the syllabuses. Alternatively, drop a few years and retake your GCSEs...

I'd say the foundation course idea is probably the best one.

Latest