The Student Room Group

Religious Studies AS Edexcel Foundations

Hey im doin Religious Studies AS Edexcel Foundations and our teacher has left in the middle of the course :frown: and the subjects quite hard 2 do n i av so many ova exams 2 do! im goin uni this year hopefully and relly need 2 get a grade c in this subject lolneed help o appreciate if you get bk 2 me thankyouuuu :smile: x
Hello! I did that exam last year and got an A, so maybe I can help. What do you want to know? And what areas are you doing (i.e. Philosophy/Ethics/World Religions)?
Reply 2
hey OMG a A! u cn be ma tutor lol jokin did u do edexcel foundations paper?

basically learinig about christaianity and ethics thx 4 replyin wos w8in ages lol x
Reply 3
on my specification its

religion and morality
utilitarianism
situation ethics
war and peace
sexual ethics

practice of christaiannity inmodern world
beliefs about trinity
atonement and salvation
nature of church
aqinas
arian heresy
christain worship
eucharist
baptistm

there just 2 mch 2 learn man lol
thank you x
Well, I did some ethics last year, and I've done quite a lot of Aquinas, but haven't done a lot of Christianity. What is it exactly you want to know? I'll try to help in any way I can. :smile:
Reply 5
did u get ma message b4? i cnt see it on this thread :frown:
Reply 6
basically like i dnt no how 2 rite an answer n cnt remba fings lol do u have ne gd notes? and just war i jus confusing lol did u do edexcel paper? x
OK, well, I didn't personally study Just War, but there's a good Edexcel textbook for Ethics called 'Edexcel AS Religious Studies' which gives good basic information - the 'Question and Answer Guide' is also pretty decent too. They're both available from Edexcel or from Amazon.

As for how to answer questions - the a) parts are usually pretty easy as far as I can remember, because they ask you to describe key features or something like that. So you need to know, obviously, the key features of arguments and theories, philosophers that back these theories up, examples, analogies, etc. There's always something about evaluating strengths and weaknesses as well, so you need to be able to evaluate. These questions basically require a VERY short intro (like, a sentence stating the argument), then the strengths and weaknesses of the argument - which is stronger, etc. The best way to do this is to, for example, say a strength, then counter-argue it with a weakness, then counter-argue the weakness with a strength, etc etc.

Does that make sense? If you've got an essay you'd like me to look over, I'm quite happy to, just PM me.
And yes, I did do Edexcel, doing the A2 at the moment :smile:
Reply 9
aww gd luk wit dat i fink da subject soo hard lol how did u revise n remba stuff? nah i havent got no essays i av only jus started 2 revise 4 it! lol is der any gd way of rembering stuff? cos i find wen i do notes 4m textbooks i end up coying the whole thing and wasting time lol x
Gosh, it depends on the person really. I copy out the key points and quotes (and highlight them, cos pretty colours help me remember!) and rewrite and rewrite until they're in my head. A good way is also to study past papers and mark schemes - on the Foundations paper, the same questions are likely to come up again and again, so errr have a sort of essay plan in your head that you've learned before you go in :smile:

Remember you need to answer 2 questions from one section and one from another. If you really don't understand Just War, leave it and concentrate on what you do know - you don't have to answer a question on it.
Reply 11
yh i think colours help me 2, i rite sum of ma notes in neon colour pens lol if it stands out moreliely 2 stik in my head. yh dats a gd idea 2 study past papers and mark schems i tried lukin on the internet but cnt find any and mark schemes are important 2. i luked on edexcel website n i cnt find any :s-smilie: n i ent gota teacher either so she cnt give me any :angry: lol do u kno of any RE tutors? cos i fink dat shud help a lil cos im i got loads of art cwrk 2 do n revision 4 ova exams...dis is ma last chance really ovawise i av 2 sit bk anotha year! lol wot r u doin?
Sorry, I don't know of any RS tutors, and even if I did, they probably wouldn't live near you lol. Best thing you can do is look around yourself for one. There should be a specimen paper on the Edexcel website - since the only actual paper in existence was from last June, you're not missing out on too much, and the specimen paper really will tell you all you need to know.

There must be another RS teacher in your school who can get hold of last summer's paper for you though, surely?
Reply 13
Does anyone know if they can combine 2 topics in one question on the foundations paper as then you will only have to revise 2 out of 3 of the topics in one 'question section'???
how di devery1 do in this exam?, apologies if there is already a thread regarding religious studies results edexcel, but im shocked!!, at my result, surely theres some mistake.. as i got 150/150 :O! in the exam, which gave me an A !!!

Latest