The Student Room Group

Religious Studies AS Edexcel Foundations

hey im doing this Religious Studies AS Edexcel Foundations and our teacher left in the middle of the course. Im in year 13 and need to get a grade C at least in this subject so i can go university this year as it will help total up my tariif points.

i find this subject intresting sometimes but its complicated at times and i have no idea on how 2 revise for this as i have 11 other exams this year please help! my friend sed i cn jus revise 2 topis 4m religion and 2 parts from ethics and still pass wit a grade c as their are loads of questions 2 choose from is this true? please help thank you xxxxx:smile:
Reply 1
i did this exam last year and i found you only really needed to know 4 topics in detail as you only need to answer 3 questions.

You either answer a question about the design arguement or cosmological arguement so you only really need to answer one of those

Then you answer one on the problem of evil or miracles

theres one with situation ethics, utlitarianism and religion and morality but religion and morality is likely to be mereged with either of the other two

Finally there is just war theory or sexual ethics

You only need to answer three of these combinations i personally didn't revise any of just war or sexual ethics because i found it hard. I revised problem of evil, utlitarianism, religion and morality and cosmological arguement but i suggest revising the ones your best at. If you want to be safe you could revise the others in case the question is hard but they're usally asking the same sort of question
katied1990
i did this exam last year and i found you only really needed to know 4 topics in detail as you only need to answer 3 questions.

You either answer a question about the design arguement or cosmological arguement so you only really need to answer one of those

Then you answer one on the problem of evil or miracles

theres one with situation ethics, utlitarianism and religion and morality but religion and morality is likely to be mereged with either of the other two

Finally there is just war theory or sexual ethics

Be a bit careful here. This was true of our year because we were the first year, so they were trying to make it as simple as possible. However, according to my teacher the exam board are very wary of people just revising certain topics, and have warned they may mix questions up - e.g. there may not be a question on just the Design Argument, but on the Design Argument AND the Cosmological Argument together. In which case, you're pretty screwed if you have revised the Cosmological Argument.

Don't revise things you find too difficult, because it's a waste of time, but do NOT rely on certain things coming up. Revise as much as possible.
Reply 3
its in the structure of the exam that they ask one or the other!!!
Reply 4
id suggest you go for two gospel questions and then one ethics question because applying ethical theory is a right challenge in a really short exam, or atleast i find, and the gospel questions (im doing luke) are usually a bit more straight forward
sucks your teacher left btw .....
katied1990
its in the structure of the exam that they ask one or the other!!!

No, it's in the structure of the exam that they can test you on the design argument and the cosmological argument, say, in the first section. This means that, yes, they can ask you for the design OR the cosmo argument, but also means they can, for example, ask you about the design and cosmo argument together or ask you just about the cosmo argument.

Similarly, in the A2 exam for Ethics, they maintain that religion and morality will be set against deontology in the first section, yet in the specimen paper, it's in a completely different section, and mixed together with emotivism. You simply can't predict what they're going to do. They want to stop people picking and choosing which topics to revise.
Reply 6
actually in A2 they've remade the specimen paper since they made a mistake putting natural law with emotivism!
Reply 7
Does anyone know where I can find last years AS questions? Cant seem to find them on the edexcel website?!
Reply 8
So let me get this right in the question box with religion and morality, Utilitarianism and Situation Ethics I have to learn all 3 because any of two of them can be combined together in a question?
Reply 9
Maverick08
So let me get this right in the question box with religion and morality, Utilitarianism and Situation Ethics I have to learn all 3 because any of two of them can be combined together in a question?

I'm thinking the same as you, atm Im revising:

Design + Cosmo (incase they mix them together)

Problem of evil

so ignoring miracles
------------
So now I have only 1 question left to answer (ethics) either Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics or Religion and morality....i got one day left, and dunno what to do, surely all three cant come up??

Probably learn Utilitarianism and situation ethics...........but pretty screwed if the question is on utilitarianism and religion morality.

anyone know how it all works?????????

peace
Reply 10
i done ma exam 2dai i did revise hard 4 it but i dint rite da essay in propa essaay form wos bits here and there :frown: im ****tin it if i dnt get a C im ***** :frown: i mentioned scholars n stuff but like u no ders 2 parts 4 each question i kept ***** da part b's up didnt av nuf time :frown: hope i done gd how did u do?
Reply 11
well actually i am sitting my exam the coming thursday, i have decided to do two questions on religion as this topis is often easier , and one from the philosophy
miracle and evil and suffering often come together in one whole question, and for that reason i have decided to revise only them two topics (with religion) and leave out the design and cosmological question and not revise it at all. :biggrin:
Reply 12
soni89
i done ma exam 2dai i did revise hard 4 it but i dint rite da essay in propa essaay form wos bits here and there :frown: im ****tin it if i dnt get a C im ***** :frown: i mentioned scholars n stuff but like u no ders 2 parts 4 each question i kept ***** da part b's up didnt av nuf time :frown: hope i done gd how did u do?

well im more f***** than you, i'm a year 11 student doing this, i havent got a clue on what it's talking about, im hoping to get a B atleast, but like i said before.. im a year 11 student.. unlikley :eyeball:
Reply 13
does any1 know or have the past questions for this exam? could u let me now ASAP

Latest

Trending

Trending