The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just remembered something the head of sixth form said to me in my interview. He said that I could get involved in some council for year 12s (I'm probably going to do this anyway). Would this help?

Also, he said that the sixth form offers certain pupils the chance to do modules from an open university course. If I had the time (in between work, volunteering, school work and sleeping lol), would this be a good idea?
i just concetrate on AS levels/volunteering rather than taking on extra modules.
Yeah, but the thing is, I work best under pressure, if I have barely any pressure on my (like now, only 80 minutes of exams left), then I don't have the motivation to do anything.
Hahahah yeah im hoping the pressure does kick in next year. I have 2 monday and 1 tuesday that ive done nothing for so far. AS levels are supposed to be muccch different and there is ALOT of work to do
Okay, I'm going for an interview at a nursing home today, so hopefully thay'll let me volunteer there.

For those that got in/have offers to study medicine at Oxbridge, how many weeks work experience did you do on top of long term volunteering?
2 weeks - 5 days hospital thing, 5 days with a GP.
Okay, thanks. So far I've done 2 weeks in a local hospital, but over the summer/over the autumn term if the hospitals are still refusing to acknowledge my letters I plan to do:

Volunteering at a nursing home once a week (pretty much sorted, just need a letter from school)
1 week at another hospital
Possibly another week at different hospital

Huw Davies
2 weeks - 5 days hospital thing, 5 days with a GP.

How did you manage to do 5 days with a GP? My GP said I couldn't do any.
You can't shadow your own GP, you need to find another GP, that's what I did.
You've done so much work experience so far, I wish I was that luck to get all that hospital work experience!
piece_by_piece
You can't shadow your own GP, you need to find another GP, that's what I did.
You've done so much work experience so far, I wish I was that luck to get all that hospital work experience!

Ah right... All my local GP surgeries are run by the same practice and the same 2 GPs rotate between them... Although, there is one a little out of my way that I *could* cycle to...

How old were you when you did the work experience with a GP? Because there'll be age restrictions...
steffi.alexa
Ah right... All my local GP surgeries are run by the same practice and the same 2 GPs rotate between them... Although, there is one a little out of my way that I *could* cycle to...

How old were you when you did the work experience with a GP? Because there'll be age restrictions...

As far as I know there wasn't an age restriction. I was in Year 10, but I had to sign a confidentiality form stating that I wasn't to discuss any patient's cases outside of the surgery.
piece_by_piece
As far as I know there wasn't an age restriction. I was in Year 10, but I had to sign a confidentiality form stating that I wasn't to discuss any patient's cases outside of the surgery.

Oh, okay. I had to sign one of those for my work experience in the hospital last year too, but it actually just said to basically put a name etc to the case, but I didn't really mention anything apart from "They had butternut soup in the cafe" lol.
Anyone think the Open University thing would be a good idea? I don't know whether or not to do it next year...
steffi.alexa
Anyone think the Open University thing would be a good idea? I don't know whether or not to do it next year...

if you like it why not, dont do it though just because itll help your app
trance addict
if you like it why not, dont do it though just because itll help your app

Hmm, yeah, good point LOL. But I want to know if it would actually help it or not... BTW, you always seem to reply on this thread really quickly LOL :biggrin:
subscribed thread :smile:

ive been trying to force myself to read around algorithms for prep for computer science (want to apply to cambridge/imperial) but forcing yourself isn't good.... also i havent encountered some of the maths needed to understand these things yet :frown:
I'm subscribed to it (obviously) but I take ages to reply to new posts... As I've just demonstarted lol.

Thing is, I like learning, but I will be taking 5 As levels, have a part time job and volunteering on Sundays for at least 2 hours, so ATM I'm not sure if I'll fit it in.
guess thats fine, im still contemplating whether to do AS fm in the first or the second year. Computing shouldn't be TOO bad so it'll feel like i'm only doing the work for 3 (watch me cry when i get a D in computing next year haha)

just depends if you can cope with the workload, dont let it affect your as level performance
Yay! I just got a letter from a local hospital ofeering me work experience! Seems like I'm finally making progress: Hopefully at least 1 week of WE at this hospital this summer, long-term volunteering is sorted as soon as Hotmail stops being annoying (it won't let through an e-mail a teacher sent for my reference letter-thing...) :biggrin:

Hopefully I'll get some WE at a GP's near me or another hospital this summer too, then it'll be 2 weeks at hopsital 1 (already done), 1 week at hospital 2, 1 week at GP's/hospital 3 and long term volunteering at an elderly care home.

Unfortunately, the forms I have to fill out are really long and confusing...I shall have to call them and ask how on earth I'm meant to fill out the first one (it asks me to put in the start and end dates and job position for volunteering... I have no idea, as that's down to the hospital to decide) and on another form I have to put outside interests LOL, that should be interesting, as I'm only just begining to get hobbies (I've had enough of being a boring person).

Anyway, that's a long post, but I'm just so pleased I've got some more WE :biggrin:
Reply 198
Well done! As I had only 1 week's WE in a hospital (with nurses, never saw a doctor :frown: ) and close to a year's regular visits to an Old People's Home, it looks like you're doing very well. I also had a week at GSK (pharmaceutical company) and a part-time job coaching children gymnastics. Basically, it is what you get out of it though, and not quantity. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending