The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Stanway
there are at the very least similar but more likely superior alumni lists at oxford and cambridge (far more nobel prize winners, prime ministers and presidents of far flung nations, writers, industrialists, etc etc), not to mention Harvard (which suffers the disadvantage of being half a millenium younger). Anyway you seem to ignore that I am talking about the present age, so when Balzac, let alone Aquinas, came into the equation is totally irrelevant. I talk of present affairs, a time in which it is generally believed the french university system is a mess in need of reform.

Aside from the fact that you seem to be the only person who promotes this opinion, if the university were of such a high standard but only suffers in rankings due to its having been split up, why are none of the individual institutions referred to as leaders with respect to their specific areas of interest?

Exactly The Sourbon is over a thousand years old so for sheer numbers of famous Alumni it ****s all over the US universities. The table is a mockery of a sham of a sham of a mockery. Even going by that table if you reunited the 13 universities it would be top anyway, so this is hardly particularly a revelation. It just depends how you want to manipulate the statistics to favour yourself. Totally Americentric nonsense quite frankly.

And famous prime ministers :laugh: so has the Sorbonne? 3 Noble prize winners in this century alone, and more great theologians, philosophers and scientists than you can shake a stick at. I fart in your general direction, your mother was warthog and your father smelt of elderberries. You silly English kanigget! :biggrin:
Reply 41
Among today's leading academic voices in all fields from science to law, among the political hierarchy (not just domestically but on an international level) and the business world, a very high proportion of people studied at oxbridge or ivy league institutions. aside from leading french academics, politicians and business leaders, I cannot think of many who went to the Sorbonne, and the French are not exactly playing an interesting role thus far either in academic, political, artistic, etc etc fields in this increasingly globalised world
Reply 42
Stanway
Among today's leading academic voices in all fields from science to law, among the political hierarchy (not just domestically but on an international level) and the business world, a very high proportion of people studied at oxbridge or ivy league institutions. aside from leading french academics, politicians and business leaders, I cannot think of many who went to the Sorbonne, and the French are not exactly playing an interesting role thus far either in academic, political, artistic, etc etc fields in this increasingly globalised world

Among anyone who wants to only take the here and now as any indication of worth, yes, I quite agree, the Sorbonne would still beat everyone else if it was still united. Well done.

The French have stopped all research into everything? Again a complete anglophile fallacy. :laugh:
Reply 43
"Exactly The Sourbon is over a thousand years old so for sheer numbers of famous Alumni it ****s all over the US universities. The table is a mockery of a sham of a sham of a mockery. Even going by that table if you reunited the 13 universities it would be top anyway, so this is hardly particularly revolational. It just depends how you want to manipulate the statistics to favour yourself.

And famous prime ministers so has the Sorbonne? 3 Noble prize winners in this century alone, and more great theologians, philosophers and scientists than you can shake a stick at. I fart in your general direction, your mother was warthog and your father smelt of elderberries. You silly English kanigget!"

An alumni list is not a basis from which to argue contemporary superiority. even so, in terms of noble prize winners, theologians, philosophers and scientists, oxford and cambridge far outweigh the sorbonne, and looking over the past century, US universities also defeat Sorbonne and are comparable to Oxford and Cambridge. Where Prime ministers are concerned, the Sorbonne counts no foreign leaders I can think of at all (it is almost inevitable that a nation;s political leaders will have attended its best university), whereas the other universities I mention count many (even if this is because of their english speaking status) however, as i said, an impressive alumni list does not give nany indication of current standards
Sidhe
Aha, so then they have basically unfairly reduced arguably the best University in the world to a dump. :smile:

It's kind of sad because you could if you wanted split most universities into 80 colleges. But apparently you only do this when in danger of having to admit a French University is better than you. :smile: Total nonsense the whole thing.

They are 4 colleges, who are you trying to kid, the Sorbonne is the best University in the world.

Yeap. it is ... I am doing my masters there in French Law - so that is another bonus to Sorbonne :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 45
Among anyone who wants to only take the here and now as any indication of worth, yes, I quite agree, the Sorbonne would still beat everyone else if it was still united. Well done.

The French have stopped all research into everything? Again a complete anglophile fallacy

you say this but you have no evidence to the contrary. the fact is that the french are in decline. Why else would you have a president wh was voted in by virtue of a vow for reform in most areas of french life - inlcuding universities
Stanway
the fact is that the french are in decline.

what in numbers ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stanway
Why else would you have a president wh was voted in by virtue of a vow for reform in most areas of french life - inlcuding universities

reform ?? wtf ?? does that mean that the it ruins the univeristy :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply 47
YankeeUK2008
This is probably going to read as typically American, but most of the population in my country is under the impression that Oxford is the reigning institution of higher learning. Apparently, from discussing this topic with my friend from Imperial College and reading some of the posts in here, most of the population in the US is wrong. In fact, so wrong that we couldn't even get the college that is considered number 1 in the UK right; Cambridge. Actually most of the population has probably not even heard of Cambridge but will gasp in amazement at the mention of Oxford.

But then again, as I attend Harvard and have visited Oxbridge, I can safely concede that I have no idea why we're considered number one either. I mean, yes we have brilliant professors and strong academics but it is our huge endowment that keeps us strong as we pump millions of dollars into the Harvard brand name. That and we have a really kick ass Business school.
Secretly, I think that Princeton is really the best school in America with Stanford a close second.

Other than that I was really impressed with the British system and with the universities your country has; Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Kings.

Arguing over which is the "best school" is a bit pointless really. There is a large variation between subjects, so from a personal point of view, you're better off looking at the institution's reputation for research in your field/quality of teaching assessment/library resources for your subject..

The only reason you might be worried about whether you're attending the "best" institution is if you're worried about its perception. Certainly Oxford has the reputation of being the best university in the world, especially in America, but the differences between the world's top institutions are not really that significant.
In my opinion nothing can beat harvard i would do alot of things to get into the university, just the honour, prestige, its draws the greatest acedemics by far, i think people generally see harvard greater than oxford it has a great auora about it
The Sorbonne isn't anything special really. It's just a regular university. It's les grandes écoles that are the better universities in France...
Reply 50
Lord Hysteria
what in numbers ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

reform ?? wtf ?? does that mean that the it ruins the univeristy :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Aye it certainly wouldn't do the Sorbonne any harm if he reunited it in fact it'd jump to number one on any league table overnight. :smile:

I agree Morbo but I'm really only talking in relation to those stats on that table, which are a joke to be honest. They couldn't of biased it more if they'd of tried to be frank.

Might as well of called the website another reason why America is better than everyone else. It's propaganda.
Reply 51
In decline economically, politically, academically, in scientific terms etc etc. except maybe good food. and fashion aswell. you have that.

"does that mean that the it ruins the univeristy"

no -the fact is that the universities, including the collective Sorbonne, are not competitive on a global scale, and reform of higher education is necessary if this is to be reversed.

you refer to me as an anglophile despite the fact that I do not show high opinion of the UK anywhere except to say that its best two universities are among the best in the world. In fact I criticise the rest of the universities for lax admissions processes. Even so, with many flaws and areas of weaknesses accounted for, the UK is far more prepared for the challenges of the coming century and has adapted far to better to the phenomenon of gloablisation than France
Reply 52
Why?

See this is cultural bigotry really, dressed up, because a country doesn't appear on your radar so often because they speak French you dismiss them. It sounds to me you need to do some research on France. I mean I'm an Englishman through and through, but I don't think our Universities are the best. top 10 yeah.
Joanna May
The Sorbonne isn't anything special really. It's just a regular university. It's les grandes écoles that are the better universities in France...

I agree with you Joanna May.

Les Grandes Écoles are the 'real deal'.

The "Collège de Sorbonne" ... is like UCL in the University of London, it is a constituent member of the Université de Paris. It is still a good university but it is not the best in France.
Reply 54
why what?

i suggest you read a good quality french publication and perhaps glean something from the internet of a couple of international newspapers and magazines on a regular basis. you appear to be almost hopelessly out of touch
Sidhe
Why?

See this is cultural bigotry really, dressed up, because a country doesn't appear on your radar so often because they speak French you dismiss them. It sounds to me you need to do some research on France. I mean I'm an Englishman through and through, but I don't think our Universities are the best. top 10 yeah.

Well apparently you're culturally ignorant, because if you were so concerned with French Higher Education, you'd realise that it's the "grande ecoles" which are the most important universities, perhaps the equivalent of Oxford and Cambridge. Anyone can go to La Sorbonne if they score high enough in their Bac, but to get into the Grandes écoles is a damn sight harder. La Sorbonne is parhaps UCL or Bristol, but it is definitely nothing particularly special.
Caspar David Friedrich
The grass is always greener on the other side of the river; where I grew up someone going to Oxford would have been shouted from the roof tops while those Harvard bound would have gotten a hearty congratulations, but not much more. Over in the UK, the opposite is the case.

Not sure about that, I think Oxbridge is regarded as top here. Just the fact of going overseas may add glamour. As to why Oxford>>>>Cambridge in the US, I don't know, that's odd. Cambridge certainly has a first rate rep here. At my school Cambridge was known for being harder to get into, though that could have been because they don't like to take people from here.
Aye, Americacentric table, makes no sense at all. Whatever they're all good universities. What about Bologna?
Stanway
why what?

i suggest you read a good quality french publication and perhaps glean something from the internet of a couple of international newspapers and magazines on a regular basis. you appear to be almost hopelessly out of touch

what me? who are you talking to?
Reply 59
Joanna May
Well apparently you're culturally ignorant, because if you were so concerned with French Higher Education, you'd realise that it's the "grande ecoles" which are the most important universities, perhaps the equivalent of Oxford and Cambridge. Anyone can go to La Sorbonne if they score high enough in their Bac, but to get into the Grandes écoles is a damn sight harder. La Sorbonne is parhaps UCL or Bristol, but it is definitely nothing particularly special.

I was talking about the University of Paris as a whole to be fair. Which yes I do think would outrank all those, all it would have to do was claim it was reuniting and it would be the best Unversity in the world according to those statistics. Simple as that. And I for one agree it would be as a single entity, it'd be a powerhouse as four. I'm not sure it may well go top on those alone. Which is why I think those statistics are crap.

Latest

Trending

Trending