The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Laptop
Mind map software
Text to speech software (although much of this is free)
PDA if organisation is an issue
Money towards books and printer consumables
Voice recorder for lectures and tutorials
Don't forget to discuss exam arrangements (extra time or use of a computer.

Edit: - You should be able to get training for the use of PDA and the laptop software. You may be able to get a study skills tutor if needed.
Reply 2
River85
Laptop
Mind map software
Text to speech software (although much of this is free)
PDA if organisation is an issue
Money towards books and printer consumables
Voice recorder for lectures and tutorials
Don't forget to discuss exam arrangements (extra time or use of a computer.

Edit: - You should be able to get training for the use of PDA and the laptop software. You may be able to get a study skills tutor if needed.

Exactly what I got and I am still using the laptop now, although I didnt use the text help thing and the speech soft wear! I did have a tutor tho and the money towards things was great because I could take more time reading my stuff. I didnt know any other dyslexic students tho which would have been nice to beable to share experiances with.
Reply 3
I must say though, I don't have dyslexia. I have a developmental disorder that has features of dyslexia and dyspraxia. Dyspraxia is my official "label", until I get a definite diangosis regarding possible Asperger's.

Still, I have similar problems.

You may not need all of this, you may need even get all of this. Hopefully though your adviers who's conducting your assesment could also suggest things.

I didn't have a clue what I wanted for my first assesment before starting Durham (June 2004). I had mine with the Director of the disability service and she was the one who suggested a number of things.

When it came to me second assesment (last October) I was a bit more sure about what I needed.
Reply 4
I just thought I would point out that it may be a good idea to not ask for anything, but rather let him/her suggest what you might need.

Its what I did and when she suggested some stuff I thought I didn't need, I told her that I didn't need it and I think that helped me in the long run because I didn't sound like someone using his disability to get free stuff.

Its best not to sound like you are just doing this for the stuff rather then to actually help you with your disability
Reply 5
Dude
I just thought I would point out that it may be a good idea to not ask for anything, but rather let him/her suggest what you might need.

Its what I did and when she suggested some stuff I thought I didn't need, I told her that I didn't need it and I think that helped me in the long run because I didn't sound like someone using his disability to get free stuff.

Its best not to sound like you are just doing this for the stuff rather then to actually help you with your disability

I take your point, it can be a bit uncomfortable asking for lots of things, especially if you usually aren't the person to do so.

However, I don't think any adviser would judge someone in that way, just because they knew how a disability affected their studies.

It wouldn't work in your favour to claim you don't need anything, or don't know what you want, and for the advisor to suggest only a fraction of what you need. Then for you to either miss out on the rest, or to cram all the things into the final ten minutes of the assesment.

Just be upfront about it, providing there's a good reason why you'll need a voice recorder or a PDA for example, I'm sure the adviser wouldn't refuse the help, especially if you are being assessed by the university's own disability service.
Reply 6
River85
I take your point, it can be a bit uncomfortable asking for lots of things, especially if you usually aren't the person to do so.

However, I don't think any adviser would judge someone in that way, just because they knew how a disability affected their studies.

It wouldn't work in your favour to claim you don't need anything, or don't know what you want, and for the advisor to suggest only a fraction of what you need. Then for you to either miss out on the rest, or to cram all the things into the final ten minutes of the assesment.

Just be upfront about it, providing there's a good reason why you'll need a voice recorder or a PDA for example, I'm sure the adviser wouldn't refuse the help, especially if you are being assessed by the university's own disability service.

Well I didnt ask for anything and I got pretty much everything on the list above which is the standerd stuff, though I got a PC with printer and scanner then a laptop. I did get offered a laptop for when I went on trips to take notes (because in my course we go on a lot of trips), and I told her it'd be pointless to have that because I would need to be able to take notes down straight away and couldn't afford to have to stop and set up this laptop.

The advisors remember test you and then can figure out from the tests what you need anyway. They will more likely know what you need then you do. If you prove to be a better at writing things down then typing for example (I know its extreamly unlikely in our cases, but its just an example), they might think you don't need a laptop.
This may sound stupid, but what sort of specs can i expect from a laptop? I want a fairly good spec one, because of the CAD software i use, and also my pc is quiet decent, and dont want to downgrade. But i a laptop would be so much more helpfull for me in terms of being able to take it into the studios to work from.

I have my needs assesment you see tomorrow.
Reply 8
Untitled258
This may sound stupid, but what sort of specs can i expect from a laptop? I want a fairly good spec one, because of the CAD software i use, and also my pc is quiet decent, and dont want to downgrade. But i a laptop would be so much more helpfull for me in terms of being able to take it into the studios to work from.

I have my needs assesment you see tomorrow.

It's impossible to say, it entirely depends on you course and your needs. If you need to use CAD then you'll obviously need a good spec

To give you an idea, this is what sort of laptops are on offer on ONE company that supplies DSA equipment. This is the laptop that was recommended for me (their laptop range is on the left hand side including some Macbooks: -

http://www.barrybennett.co.uk/computers/midrangelaptop.php

This is just one company, it may not necessarily be the company, it may not necessarily the uni that your university or LEA recomends. Durham do though.

Anyway, I was able to get a better spec laptop for the same price, only difference being it didn't have Vista business. I therefore went for an Acer (5920) although I made sure I got permission from my LEA first.

Whatever laptop is recommended you may be able to get a different laptop of a similar spec or better. However, if you do this, you need to get LEA permission first before buying it.

What CAD software will you be using, just out of interest?
Reply 9
Dude

Yes, I agree. I've already had an informal chat and said no to suggestions they made.

I tend to leave out things or forget, so this was an exercise in refreshing my options. An item such as a PDA would have never crossed my mind, but it is something that I believe I would benefit from.
Atm im using 3d Studio Max, which can run on lower spec pcs, because the pcs in uni are crap, but then agian they always crash and rendering an image takes about 4 hours.

Im changing courses to architecture, im not entirely sure what programs they use, but i would guess they take up a lot of power, i think they use 3DSM too though.

Thanks for the link, Ill have a look on that see what's on offer.
Reply 11
law:portal
Yes, I agree. I've already had an informal chat and said no to suggestions they made.

I tend to leave out things or forget, so this was an exercise in refreshing my options. An item such as a PDA would have never crossed my mind, but it is something that I believe I would benefit from.

Well, at least we've been of some use. lol. I haven't got my PDA yet as I'm not actually attending this year :frown: My brother donated his old IPAQ to me when he graduated but my father has stolen it!

I still don't think that it will put you in any danger of not getting things if you seem to eager, or it seems as if you are asking for stuff for the sake of it, providing you can always justify it.

Maybe play dumb for the first ten minutes or something and build gradually from there :smile:
Will i be able to get legal copies of all the programs i use like photoshop and 3dsmax?
Reply 13
Oh by the way, does all this stuff need to be returned when you finish uni?
Reply 14
law:portal
Oh by the way, does all this stuff need to be returned when you finish uni?

Thanks for reminding me, I meant to say this before.

What you buy is yours to keep, providing you finish the course. If you need to leave then the LEA have a right to ask for it back.

It hasn't got anything to do with the uni as the money comes from your LEA so if you did need to return it, it would be returned to them.

If you graduate though then what you have is for keeps :smile:

Untitled258
Will i be able to get legal copies of all the programs i use like photoshop and 3dsmax?

Don't know, that would be up to the LEA and your adviser to decide. If it's necessary for your course, perhaps. However, I wouldn't bank on it.

That's the only reason why I asked what CAD software you use. I wanted to know if you use AutoCad. I don't use any but my father is a design engineer. We have £1000s worth of CAD software (and photoshop for that matter) lying around, some pirated!

I shouldn't have said that lol...
Reply 15
Untitled258

I have to ask how you expect to get photoshop as part of your LEA?
Reply 16
Do you get to choose whether you wnt a macbook or laptop?
Reply 17
Titch89
Do you get to choose whether you wnt a macbook or laptop?

It would depend on what your needs are and what your adviser recommends, if you get a laptop at all.

If you prefer a Macboo and explained why you think a Mac Book would be best (more creative/design based degree, quite often better batterly life and portability). Then possibly.
Reply 18
Hey i have a few questions to ask anyone. Do they give you a laptop or you have to search for your preferences yourself. I think now i might get a mac cos of the ivoice. Not sure though. Plus how long did it take for them to give you the stuff or do you have to go and get it yourself with permission of the LEA?
Usually they do the assessment, decide what yuo need and then they send the recommendation to your LEA along with a quote from a supplier. If your LEA agree then usually it is then ordered from that supplier, all you have to do is talk to them and agree a delivery time.

Latest